07078 : Mantis CAV

prophet118

7078_G.jpg

yeh that guy... what kind of assembly am i looking at for it?... i just ordered it today, but didnt think to look at what kind of things were ahead of me...

ive never painted CAV minis, or any sort of sci fi mini, but i felt this was a good start.... the thing looks pretty darn cool

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on my first CAV mini myself. A Koda works Khan (nope, don't know what that means). It was four parts: legs, body/cockpit, and L and R arms plus base. While this specimene looks much bigger I think the components are the same.

Anyway I found mine to be a very smooth buildup, and I'm coming from a sci-fi background, and lots of fun to paint.

Hope this helps, enjoy your mini!

I can honestly say I have assembled and painted close to 100 CAVs, and never had to pin any of them. The joints are vey nicely engineered.

The Mantis is my FAVORITE CAV. You will not be disappointed.

One word of advice for assembling CAV's. In general, you'll want to attach the legs to the base and the body to the legs before you attach the arms. Many of the cav's hunch forward slightly and it can make it looke like your weapons are pointing a good bit down if you make the arms level with the top of the body.

oh... and all the pics ive seen look like they have two bases.. like a small base on top of a bigger hex base... whats the situation there?

The CAVs I've seen all have a piece running between the feet. That piece is then glued down to the drop-in hex base (I use a standard 2-part 5 or 30 minute epoxy)

cool, i think that covers all my questions really...lol

cept of course for the paint scheme... i have 2 in mind shiny ones though, but im going to try NMM for it

my first thought it to try a chromish Blue, or Green... im not sure which i'll try... im fairly good with paint shop pro and photoshop, so i'll probably check out the color schemes in them first ....flat image, true, but using various filters it'll let me mimic the chromish style, so i can see where i should be going..lol

I just picked up a new camera myself, but my minis still look like crud.

Turns out you have to have skill to use it! Pfft, whatever!

But seriously:

ETA: Here's what I pictured when you said NMM:CMON Tau suit

Completely out of my leauge but I'd like to try something like that.

well, if we can beleive em, the pictures are supposed to be relatively similiar to their heights... some cav are bigger than others.... and id almost guess that since they are supposed to represent mechs that people can climb into, that they'd be at least maybe as tall as a troll or ogre..