Don't Panic! - and bring your towel

Neyuttad

I was at the library and saw the book and thought, you know that is a major (geeky) cultural phenominon that I never read. I did not know there was more than one book when I started it. Reading it, I was like it is a fun goofy read, but I don't know what all the hype is, but by the end I was really happy with it. I was told by a friend to stop at book three.

To me making Ford black should not be a major issue because the story does not take place on earth (unless the last two books do). If the story took place on earth, making a character black would mean the potential of cultural changes that might impact the story. Since that is not the case, it should be OK. I thik the only way it could impact the story was if the writers went with an over the top characature of the modern hip hop culture or used one of the younger Wayan brothers. These are not the same producers who made the movie White Chicks, are they? ::P:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I read the book. I didn't ever think Starbuck was female. That would almost be stupid since a "Buck" is a male.

So the question would be is which book were you reading. The original book from which the TV series concept came from (if there is one, I don't know), or the book derived from the TV series itself? Can't you just wait to read LoTR as derived from the movie? :lol:

Did someone link to the trailer already?

It's up in blockyvision! on Amazon:Trailer

So my understanding is that each variation of hitchhikers was different: from Radio to book to TV. Even each book has crazy changes from one to the next. Now here's the movie, and Douglas Adams had a lot to do with the script, so I'm OK with it.

Can't wait to hear Marvin talk!

My only thought would be that in the original script for the series that the role was meant to be a woman and it was changed to a man at an early stage of the development. So I'm not sure where my friend picked this up, I can't find anything that verifies it. As far as Starbuck being obviously male, call signs for pilots don't always follow gender lines. ::D:

As far as Starbuck being obviously male, call signs for pilots don't always follow gender lines.  ::D:

Well.... I for one have never heard of a male pilot with "Black Widow" as a callsign.

In my opinion, Starbuck has too much of a machismo feel to it to be female.

As for Ford being black, that's cool with me but between Zaphod and Ford, I would have thought Zaphod to be most suitable for wearing an afro :lol:

Okay, Hitch-hiker's has taken the following incarnations:

-2 radio series for the BBC

-A record album without the copyrighted music on the soundtrack

-a stage show, publicized by throwing a large inflatable whale into the thames. "Unlike the stage show, it floated".

-A published book of radio scripts from the first incarnation (these are the only two versions that do not contradict each other, btw)

-A 5-book trilogy

-An awful BBC TV series

-An Infocom text-adventure game

It is interesting to note that all of the stories diverge from each other shortly before/at/after Magrathea. Adams was perfectly fine with this.