What have you tried?

Kheprera

My main question is has anyone ever tried the "rust effect" paint that you can get at craft stores? I've seen the effect on walls (gotta love Trading Spaces sometimes) but I'm curious if anyone has tried this on their mini's to try and give an effect of rust on metal.

I'm also curious about any other ways people have come up to have special effects on their minis, from dragon's breath to ... whatever.

:D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've "rusted" a few blades, particularly for skeletons and zombies.  I figure they probably don't spend a lot of time oiling their blades.

I tend to have more "fun" with my monster figs.  I try to keep the character figs as clean as possible since we use them in gaming siutations frequently.  But on my monsters I don't hesitate to put some mud stains on their pants or blood spatters on their weapons/clothes.

On some terrain I built I pulled a cotton ball into a campfire shape and painted that up.  Can't say I was totally pleased but it was decent enough to get the idea across.

That's about all the "special effects" I've done.

On some terrain I built I pulled a cotton ball into a campfire shape and painted that up. †

I've seen dioramas with cotton pulled and stretched to represent clouds around a genie's legs and on a base for a flying pegasus. Looks cool... but seems like it would be fragile to me.

I painted my Umber Hulk to look like it had a beetle like carapace. I used a blend of black paint (watered down slightly) mixed with emerald green ink, dark red ink (just a smidge) & dark blue ink (again just a smidge). It came out looking just like the oily effect of a beetle shell :cool:

I used to have a rather small lizardmen army when I used to play Warhammer (now I paint purely for pleasure). I decided I didn't like the way GW had painted the skinks, so I took a book on rainforest tree frogs and painted each one (I had only one unit of 10 skinks) with patterns from various poison frogs. Unfortunately, I sold the whole thing away, but since I was rather new when I painted them, I figured I will buy some more at some point and redo the idea, only better. I'm thinking semi-gloss to simulate wet skin, and drops of white glue or resin to simulate water drops.

Dunno if this counts as "special effects", but I was mighty proud of them.

I actually used it as an accent color to my rust monsters I painted.

:)

Oooooh, good idea. What a better use for it?? I can't think of one.

Except for terrain and ruins...

Maybe I will get some pictures of them and post them for you to check out....although they are not reaper mini's so do you think they will mind?