Sign in to follow this  
twjolson

Krylon Sealers

I'm having a bear of a time finding dullcote here, but I did find Krylon gloss and matte sealers. ANyone have any experience with them? Good, bad, or whatever?

I use a Krylon UV Resistant Matte Sealer on terrain. It's pretty good. So far, nothing has compared with dull cote, but the Krylon Matte works in a pinch. I'd consider just ordering Testors. Fantization.com sells Testors Dull Cote Spray. They also have pretty reasonble shipping costs. I'd buy several cans of it so you don't have to worry later.

Yea, everyone lives and dies for Dullcote, but I can't find a drop of it. Plus the cans are soooo small, I just polished off a glosscote can after 2-3 rounds of mini's. If I find some I'll give Dullcote a go, but can anyone recommend second best matte sealers; in case I don't like the dullcote?

I dunno why everyone loves dullcote. Not very flat at all, and anything I spray with it still has a "sheen." Personallty, if I'm using a spraycan I love Citadel's. I hear there's a higher incidence of duds, but then I had a dud can of dullcote before too. These days I use future with a dulling additive.

Damon.

I dunno why everyone loves dullcote. Not very flat at all, and anything I spray with it still has a "sheen." Personallty, if I'm using a spraycan I love Citadel's. I hear there's a higher incidence of duds, but then I had a dud can of dullcote before too. These days I use future with a dulling additive.

Damon.

My infinately troubled quest for dullcote started because of Citadels Purity Seal. It kept on drying and leaving little white fuzz. It's just not that good, my opinion though.

What about Gloss sealers, can anyone suggest other gloss sealers other then testors?

Gloss sealer really shouldn't be a problem. Armory gloss works fine and so does Krylon. Most people are just picky on matte because many companies matte sprays still have a shine to them. Most gloss sealers should work fine.

As I said though, I've done alright with Krylon UV Resistant matte. If you are ever in a craft store, you can alway try some generics and see. I won't touch GW primers or sealers anymore.

Damon,

I can't really explain your experience with Dull Cote. Virtually everyone one I know who has used Dull Cote loves it and thinks it's the most matte spray you can get. It's also the favored spray among most 'big name' painters. Perhaps you didn't shake enough or got a bad can.

If you are ever in a craft store, you can alway try some generics and see. I won't touch GW primers or sealers anymore.

I might have too, I've been in edmonton for nigh on 6 months and I haven't seen dullcote at all (in the places I go to in my area) I want to try the dullcote at least once, but I sure dang well won't go back to GW!!! Because of the experience I had with GW is why I am so hesitant to try something other then Testors without a recommendation.

If you are ever in a craft store, you can alway try some generics and see.  I won't touch GW primers or sealers anymore.

I might have too, I've been in edmonton for nigh on 6 months and I haven't seen dullcote at all (in the places I go to in my area) I want to try the dullcote at least once, but I sure dang well won't go back to GW!!! Because of the experience I had with GW is why I am so hesitant to try something other then Testors without a recommendation.

Have you tried your local Michaels up in Edmonton? I knost most US Michaels carry Dullcote back with the Model Rockets and cars. Look them up in the phone book and give them a call. I KNOW there has to be a store in Edmonton.

I can't really explain your experience with Dull Cote. Virtually everyone one I know who has used Dull Cote loves it and thinks it's the most matte spray you can get. It's also the favored spray among most 'big name' painters. Perhaps you didn't shake enough or got a bad can.

Doubt it. I've gone through probably a dozen cans in my modelling career, and never have been impressed. I doubt its a bum can, and I stand there for -- literally -- two minutes shaking the can. I doubt that's a factor.

Damon.

I can't really explain your experience with Dull Cote.  Virtually everyone one I know who has used Dull Cote loves it and thinks it's the most matte spray you can get.  It's also the favored spray among most 'big name' painters.  Perhaps you didn't shake enough or got a bad can.

Doubt it. I've gone through probably a dozen cans in my modelling career, and never have been impressed. I doubt its a bum can, and I stand there for -- literally -- two minutes shaking the can. I doubt that's a factor.

Damon.

I've gone through more than a few cans of dullcote in my time too. One oddity I have noticed is that when I spray it on the mini from less then ~15 inches away, it gets glossy like you experience. When I hold the can more than a good 2 feet away from the mini while spraying, it's nice & dull.

Dunno if that is the cause of the issue, but I figured I should throw that out there. ^_^

If you are ever in a craft store, you can alway try some generics and see.  I won't touch GW primers or sealers anymore.

Do you ever order minis and supplies from online? FANTIZATION.COM carries Dull Cote. I believe they discount all online orders of $50 and up and offer free shipping for $75 and up. If you grouped some Dull Cote in with some other stuff you were looking for anyways, it would be worth it.

I've tried a bunch of differant dull coats and like Krylon Matte finish the best, its fairly cheap (2.99 at Wal-Mart) and I've never had a problem with it. Testers Dull coat and Testors Figure Flat are the same thing only differant packages directed to specific buyers, I've had problems with both. The spraying conditions have to be almost perfect for it to have a flat finish, spraying on a hot sunny day works good, doing it in the shade or in humid weather I've gotten a fog effect. If you do get a foggy effect from sealing, wait until it dries and use a clear gloss coat, it usually clears it right up.

For those interested....

I bought some of the "Krylon Matte Finish" because I figured I would never find some Dullcote in my area, everyone was out. But by a miracle, I found some. I tested both.

I had a unit of Tyranids painted and glossed. I orginally used Testors Gloss for the first coat, and then ran out. So I had to use Krylon's Low Odor Gloss for the second (which seemed to work ok). So when I went to Matte Coat, everything was equal. I split up the unit, half and half. I kept everything the same, distance, angle of attack, etc. After the first coat, both halves where semi-glossy; but they looked the same. After the second the figures where completely matte and you couldn't tell any visual differances between the Krylon or Testors. My conclusion is that in terms of elimanating glossyness, Krylon and Testors are equal. This however does not take into account protection and what not.

Very interesting...

When I overcoat a mini, I spray very thin coats, let dry completely and repeat. I will usually put at least 5 coats on. The key is thin coats.

So, as long as you applied thin coats and aren't at risk of overloading the miniature, I would be curious how this test would look if you put 2 more thin coats of each matte spray on the group. My experience with testors has been that is pays off after you have several layers on and you get a truly matte coat.

However, if you still conclude they are the same, stick with kyrlon. I like their UV Resistant matte spray. UV light will make some varnishes yellow a bit over time. I've heard some people say that testors will do this. The UV Resistant krylon is supposed to not yellow and it is cheaper. The yellowing effect is most obvious and harmful to areas paint white or near white.

Well, I won't promise they were thin coats; I have a lack of patience, and a lack of skill. I don't think I overloaded the mini though, you can't tell there is a sealer on it when you look at them. Which is fine by me, quick and acceptable, for my standards.

However, as to the yellowing, the Matte Finish bottle says "Non-Yellowing" which I'm guessing refers to it not allowing the underlying gloss to yellow, but it could just mean the matte coat doesn't yellow.