Practicing Sculpting

twjolson

I got some Green Stuff, and want to practice before I use it. Being a cheapskate, and with absolutely no sculpting experience. Any recommendations of clays or doughs to use rather then GS first to practice on? I'm looking for something that will be the same in consistancy and workability, but not set at all. Is there anything out there like that?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since people commonly describe sculpting with GS as being similar to sculpting with chewing gum, I guess you could try that ::P:

Using a little of the real GS is probably the only way to get the proper feel for how the GS works at different stages of the curing process

I agree, get some sculpy. It's what I grew up with, and I'm still more comfortable with it than GS.

Sculpy is cheap, and it won't dry outrapidly. No it's not an exact stand-in for GS, as was mentioned, but it should get you going.

If you bought a 36" roll, just use some for testing. That roll can make a lot of figures, perhaps 50 or so.

I had a 3" sample tube given out at Gencon a few years ago, I made 3 complete figures, and several conversions from it.

The problem is, GS behaves WAY differently than polymer clays, so what you learn with polymer will not translate well to GS.

So just use GS, it'll last a long time, and the sculpting techniques you learn will be directly applicable to GS... ;)

The problem is, GS behaves WAY differently than polymer clays, so what you learn with polymer will not translate well to GS.

I know, I've heard before. I just hate how expensive GS is, and how you have a limited time to get it right. For those that have some sculpting experience that might not be a consideration, but I haven't done a darn thing of sculpting. I'd rather find something cheaper and more long lasting for basic sculpting practice.

I do have some GS, and I'm sure I'll get around to playing with it, but I don't feel quite ready for that yet.

Pick some easy subjects to start off with. Do a ghost or a wraith. I've done a few Jawa from Star Wars. These kind of small and simple projects let you get a feel for working with grean stuff while not leading to the frustration of trying to sculpt something beyond your ability.