Sign in to follow this  
ixminis

Home Studio: Light Box

Same light-bulbs (I think) ... different setup... I think that the background warped it alot as well ... When I took the original Tara picture I remember *not* being able to use the photoshop "image adjust" feature as it blew the contrast out.

Real Life is getting in the way - When it's not in the way anymore I'll do this over with a few different bulb types vs. the two different lighting setups.

Rgds,

The pic with the newer setup seems to be a bit more toward red in hue, though not being able to look at the original model it's hard for me to guess at what the correct hue is. It seems that the darker background (thus lower overall contrast) brought out the greens in the modell.

I'm at the "try and adjust" level of photography and can't claim to understand the science behind it all, but you might want a bit less light or a darker background. The starkness of the white background seems to overwhealm almost the entire palette.

Same light-bulbs (I think) ... different setup... I think that the background warped it alot as well ... When I took the original Tara picture I remember *not* being able to use the photoshop "image adjust" feature as it blew the contrast out.

Real Life is getting in the way - When it's not in the way anymore I'll do this over with a few different bulb types vs. the two different lighting setups.

Rgds,

What sort of bulbs? Anything special here?

After a bit of time-travel I've determine the following:

The Original Tara Comparison Shot(s):

Overhead Light Fixture 2 incandescent & 2 Flourescent

Photo Area 2 Flourescent with Tissue Paper Diffusers (in desk lamps)

Green Background

The Light Box Tara Shot:

No Overhead lighting

3 Flourescents with clamp lamp diffuser (spreads the light out, but no physical blocking b/w bulbs and subject)

White Background

Spikes Comments - I hear what you are saying. The only "expertise" that I have is trying to get my light to behave consistently & illuminate all features on the miniature(s)

I've started on new comparison shots & will have light, background, and photoshop tweak comparisons. First, Valandil... then probably a Crusader Grunt or Two...

Okee,

two main reasons for the color difference in the two shots is one the Green background does color shift the entire photo, if you have ever worked in a photo lab in texas during bluebonnet season you'll know my pain. Baby, bright cloths, blue and green background. its very difficult in color development to get all three of those objects their true color.

The second color shift reason comes from the lighting, the green background photo is a touch lighter, thus washing the colors out a bit, the second color remains darker thus closer to the natural color states.

the box is fantastic, the grunts shot looks great!!!

Mad Pat

What PAT said !!! Okee - I've had some time to prep different photos of Valandil with 2 desklamps, a white sheet as a backdrop, and various bulbs and photoshop editing... This will illustrate differences in lighting color using the same camera settings and photoshop tweaks... here ya go:

2 desk lamps with flourescent bulbs, Overhead light fixture with a mix of flourescent and incandescent, white sheet, NO photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_om_no

2 desk lamps with flourescent bulbs, Overhead light fixture with a mix of flourescent and incandescent, white sheet, YES photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_om_yes

2 desk lamps with incandescent bulbs, white sheet, NO photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_noom_no_incandescent

2 desk lamps with incandescent bulbs, white sheet, YES photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_noom_yes_incandescent

2 desk lamps with flourescent bulbs, white sheet, NO photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_noom_no_flourescent

2 desk lamps with flourescent bulbs, white sheet, YES photoshop level adjustment:

2dl_noom_yes_flourescent

Lessons to learn from this series of photos: 2 desk lamps create contrast and color issues. Each adjusted photo comes close, but does not get all of the colors right. The grass is bright... but not as brigh as some of the pictures would suggest. The next installment will be with 3 bulbs (might as well do incandescent and flourescent) ... not sure if it's worth our time to do it with the sheet as the background... but time will tell...

Yall still finding this semi-useful?

Ok, that was a lot to process, but very scientific and some very useful conclusions. I noticed that the plexiglass is covered. Were there too many issues with refletion? I am determined to stop having crappy photos. I have taken my camera's manual out and am reading up. I think I am going to create a light box and I will probably use 2x2, unless you think there is an advantage to going with the larger 2x4.

List of questions, so i can visualize your process

Did you use your new box for this?

Were your lamps attached to the box or were they standing desk lamps?

You did not mention any filters over the lights, I assume that you did not use any. Am I correct?

I think those are all of my questions for the time. I want to say thank you for taking the time to share all of your work with us.

Oops - I miscommunicated - but you'll see where in the answers:

Plexiglas covered up: Yes, the new box was used for this, but it was not necessary; this step was to demonstrate the technique that I'm moving away from.

Desklamps: Yes, unfiltered and sitting on the shelf next to the light box.

Light box base materials: For most, I would recommend using 2x2's. For me and my arthritis, I didn't want to worry about precision motions while I am setting things up, moving them around, tweaking with the backgrounds and subjects: so I used the 2x4's to increase the overall weight and durability. That is the only benefit that I can think of for 2x4's over 2x2's.

More to come: The next thing I'm going to do is similar picture taking with the box as it was intended to be used. This should reduce a few of the hotspots and provide a more even light that will also produce a more *true* picture without any additional effort... that's the theory at least...

Heh... I never realized that I wouldn't be able to avoid saying so much about this... heh heh... but I know how much of a bugbear photo taking is so it's my pleasure to talk about it as I go.

Rgds,

That's simply AWESOME !!! If it's ok with you, when I get the lightbox article cleaned up and on my site, I'll link to yours, okee?!!

Thanks!

Well..I've looked over all the options here, and also looked in my empty pockets, and I am going to give it a try using ideas from several of the posts here.

I bought some Wilton's baking parchment (something a girl can never have too much of) and two sheets of white foam-core board. What I am hoping to end up with is a foldable, portable and reasonably durable box that I can take to paint-n-takes where the overhead lighting is way less than ideal.

What I was just contemplating was the possibility of even more portable lightweight lighting.. perhaps even highpower flashlights for those inevitable times when the LAN-geeks refuse to relinquish any electrical outlets at the venue.

Spike something you might want to take a look at are the lamps that construction people use. Specifically ones that can clip on to things. Those lamps are pretty portable.

Yah, the clamp lamps I bought disassemble a bit. The dome/diffuser detaches... So one could pack the bulbs, domes, fixtures seperately...and it wouldn't take up too much space.... Then bring a power strip and yer done (that way even if you have three lamps and a camera, most strips have more plugs and yer not killing the plug availability... although it is more of a fire hazard - DOH!

Heh...and here's my Cheapskate special...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ehouseofdexter/lightbox.html

now THAT is a cool set up and nicely done. I like the bottle/container as the diffuser as well :)

and very portable :)

Ixminis.. I love what you are doing as well and it has really been very helpful for me and has gone a long way to helping me decide what I am going to do for my mini photos.. thanks to you both!! I really appreciate the help in this :)

-jon