Direct Order vs. FLGS

Morgramen

So I am pondering.... does it work out to be about the same price to buy minis direct from Reaper Central and ship them to the Great White North (considering shipping costs, dollar conversions, GST and customs -what ever happened to free trade anyway??) as it would to buy from the Not so Local FGS mail order?

The bonus about Reaper direct, is they make it, so they have it in stock. The not so local FGS however, frequently only has about 60-80% of the minis I order on hand, so delays occur while they wait future shipments. I hate waiting.

So, what is your thought on this? Would it end up being about hte same cost either way?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, you can order form your game store, typically... who will order from reaper... im not a big fan of doing that, since i get alot of "oh thiat was out of stock"... but the game store just orders off of the main list, never from the discontinued section... plus, i dont get any sample paints when i order from the game store..lol

This debate pops up about every two weeks. Always, Always, Always support your local game store first. That's why Reaper holds online store updates until a couple of weeks after items ship to distributors -- so that local shops have a chance to sell you the item first.

If your local shop can't get what you want (because it's a part, or IOLM), then order direct. The Local game shop is the lifeblood of the industry. Without them we have no place to gather, play, or hold tournaments. Always do what you can to keep them running.

direct order vs flg

both ways have advantages and disadvantages i have dealt with both ways to order minis....read my previous posts on the subject...yes i too am from the the great white north....Nfld Canada, it does take a while for orders to get here...i ordered Frulla the female giant along with a few other minis, back during the summer of 2004 due to problems with my local flg store ,their distributer lost my order , i finally have gotten some of my order, includeing Frulla just this february ....so there are obstacles to deal with...currency exchange, taxes, shipping and handleing, and yes there are supply and demand problems...flgs and their distributers handle orders by weight...bigger orders are cheaper ...they get charged shipping because orders are charged by cubic weight during transport.....Reaper price for Frulla is $15.99 US by the time i got her it was $19.99 Canadian plus taxes....$23.00 can .........there is no "free trade"...! <_< you take your chances no matter which way you order , when you order things across long distances.....

I'm also a member of the support your FLGS club. Call in your order, I'm sure they'll order it for you from their distributor if they don't have it on hand. You can pick it up when they have it. Usually it would be less of a wait than ordering from Reaper, and would support your gamestore.

its pretty funny too, but i can get GW paints cheaper on their website, than i can at my game shop...

though i buy RPG books at the store, and sometimes minis... but typically only minis that are actually there, since like i said, ordering minis can be a hassle if something is out of stock, or i want a discontinued peice.