Tal Quazar, the Spider King

Here's the converted Spider Centaur I finally finished. The main body of the model is from the Spider Centaur (DHL: 02620) and the OOP Ral Partha Birthright Miniature "The Spider" ( Ral Partha AD&D 11-750).

I carved up the Ral Partha mini to get the scales and bone parts, added some wire armature for additional horns, and glued them all on the back of the Reaperness. To fill in the gaps, I tried my first go at scultping (the white parts) but used the GW stuff (which was garbage!). The green stuff is actually ready made putty in a tube. It wasn't bad, but was a bit "wet" and tended to "sink/deflate" during drying.

I tossed it on a CD base, used clay for the base texture, tossed in the webbed up victims from DHL 02784 : Giant Spider and Victims, a skull pile and a couple of sticks. I also added the GW Gollum (Return of the King) under the Spider as his "little henchmen dude". I sort of picture this Gollum as the Spider Lord's Wormtongue.

post-26-1108838682.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I know you wanted to see his behind (You cheekie Monkey!)

The reason I did this in the first place, was simply because the Ral PArtha mini was the old 25mm variety, and just didn't have the imposing size and nastiness that the Goblin King of the Spiderfell Forest (ala TSR Birthright Campaign) deserved. Once he is added onto the Reaperness, he is much more to behold, and easily twice the size. I also started a display scenery/diorama for this model ( A cave mouth opening/nest with goblin and other servitor slave type humanoids dwell). I'll post pics once those are done as well. (The scene is little more than styrofoam chunks at the moment.)

post-26-1108839256.jpg

Well, I finally finished painting this guy, but now I'm wondering how to best attach the spider to the CD base. Does anyone have any suggestions? The CD base is quite heavy, so I don't think simply gluing his "spidery toes" into the little indentations in the clay base will cut it. I'm thinking that I might try to pin it, but am not sure how to best drill into the CD itself. Will the CD crack/break?

I tried taking pics of the finished mini, but alas, the digicam is low low end, and the finished pics are even worse than the ones above. Maybe Santa will bring me a nice field of view-able digicam for Christmas... :blues:

Looking pretty cool (I hope you get the finished pix online). For attaching, I don't think pinning would work too well for a CD base (too brittle). You might try some tiny drops of hot melt or wood glue under each foot. They're more flexible than super glue when dry and adhere better to porous surfaces like plaster, etc. You might have to flock and paint over any exposed glue after it dries, but I'd still recommend picking it up by the base as opposed to the mini in general.