Painting Guide?

JoeGKushner

Joe, have you looked at the painting guide in the Warlord core rulebook? It contains examples and definitions of everything you've listed except for paint stippling, NMM (there's a paint kit for that ::): ) and mixing. If you *have* looked at it, what was lacking (need to know so I can fix it, doncha know!)? ::):

I don't think I'll be able to make the room to feature a pic of every Warlord mini in the book; it's about painting, after all, not Warlord. Once I finish my Gallery Update this week, however, there will be a pic of every Warlord mini in the Painted Showcase (either within the separate galleries or in the New gallery), except the ones without data cards (the undead pirates and weapons sprues). Follow the link on my sig to get to the Gallery, or from the front page you can choose Models, Gallery, and then Painted Showcase. ::):

--Anne

For an example of each army, I meant a single member, not the whole thing! That would be a huge book. I'm sure that there is a place for such a book however, but I imagine that most of the army books coming out will cover this, much as the Warhammer books do.

For the Learn-To-Paint Kits, the first one is a bomb in that it doesn't give you any rundown on the tools you need. The second one is a little better, but the pictures go from the minis being in basecoat's completed to nearly finished figures and the illustrations are small. A typical Warhammer magazine Masterclass Article has better coverage in terms of showcasing particular parts of a miniture and giving each section more room and coverage. There should also be a little checklist of assumed items you have as the book mentions palette (not a big deal as a miniature box can act like that), hobby knife and primer.

The third Learn-To-Paint Kit looks like it addresses these issues, but it's also twice the page count, allowing it to show more examples of the NMM technique at use and play.

The good thing about all three kits is that with just the kits, you can pretty much follow the instructions without having any issues. I've run through the first two and am getting ready to work on the third. So far I've been satisfied with the results although I still find layering very time consuming, requiring a good eye and good brush control and of course, having your paint thin enough to go on, but not thin enough that it acts as a wash.

As far as the Warlords book, I haven't had a chance to look through it yet. I'm still deciding on which version to get. The standalone book or the deluxe version. The deluxe looks like a much better deal in terms of what you get, but the higher price tag means I'll ahve to put aside a little extra money to do so.

Thanks for the replies and details thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing how the book actually looks once it's in print.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User
...<snip>  For the Learn-To-Paint Kits, the first one is a bomb in that it doesn't give you any rundown on the tools you need. The second one is a little better, but the pictures go from the minis being in basecoat's completed to nearly finished figures and the illustrations are small. A typical Warhammer magazine Masterclass Article has better coverage in terms of showcasing particular parts of a miniture and giving each section more room and coverage. There should also be a little checklist of assumed items you have as the book mentions palette (not a big deal as a miniature box can act like that), hobby knife and primer.

The third Learn-To-Paint Kit looks like it addresses these issues, but it's also twice the page count, allowing it to show more examples of the NMM technique at use and play.

The good thing about all three kits is that with just the kits, you can pretty much follow the instructions without having any issues. I've run through the first two and am getting ready to work on the third. So far I've been satisfied with the results although I still find layering very time consuming, requiring a good eye and good brush control and of course, having your paint thin enough to go on, but not thin enough that it acts as a wash.  <snip>

Fun fun! Okie, re: the Learn-to-Paint-Kits, I think you'll be pleased with the format on the third one; Reaper gave LTPK3 lots more room for description and pictures! Even with that, however, I *still* ran out of room--originally I wanted to cover sky-earth and chrome NMM as well, but NMM itself is a complex subject even when explained in simple terms. In fact, I remember one of our freelance painters, when I was telling him about what I was trying to do with LTPK3, and he said, "Wait--you're trying to explain NMM in four to six pages???" And then he laughed his head off at me! ::D: For all that, I still think it turned out very well. Ideally, yes, every paint kit would be a mini-book in itself, but that's not practical unfortunately. And, as you've seen from LTPK1 through 2 to 3, as time has gone by we've made continued upgrades to our photo equipment and the length and quality of the instructions in general, and it's always a learning process. ::):

As for layering being time consuming, oh yeah, it is. ::D: I don't know if you've ever seen the rundown when Jennifer (Ms. Haley) or I give our approximate painting times for minis, but an average human-sized figure takes a professional-grade painter eight to fifteen hours to do a low-to-medium-competition-grade paintjob on, and for national-competition-level painting it's never under *forty* hours for me. It's the layering that takes all that time. For example, that Warbride of Khardullis in the gallery took me, I think, eight hours. The Sekhmet right next to her, on the other hand, took probably fifteen. And, of course, the infamous 72mm Sophie who's the model for the gallery took me *55 hours* to paint. I feel your pain. ::D:

Anyhoo, scampering, gotta get back to the painting table--working on an article for Casketworks 18 about using the paint triads in the Master Paints line, among other things. Need to paint a couple of new pretties for it. :;): Remember to get painting, people--I want LOTS of entries for the ReaperCon National Painting Contest in May! Pretty please?? ::D:

--Anne

Remember to get painting, people--I want LOTS of entries for the ReaperCon National Painting Contest in May!  Pretty please??  ::D:

--Anne

Have the rules been posted yet? Did I miss them? :unsure: I'm kinda paranoid about missing them.

I am working on some stuff that I intend to enter, but I am not sure if they will be legal for the contest. So I am worried about putting alot of time into something I may not be able to enter.

• Reaper User
  Remember to get painting, people--I want LOTS of entries for the ReaperCon National Painting Contest in May!  Pretty please??  ::D:

--Anne

Have the rules been posted yet? Did I miss them? :unsure: I'm kinda paranoid about missing them.

I am working on some stuff that I intend to enter, but I am not sure if they will be legal for the contest. So I am worried about putting alot of time into something I may not be able to enter.

Yes, Flit--at least, I sure hope they were posted! ::D: I will double-check and let you know where they might be. However, in the meantime, we have set up an email account at [email protected] where you can tell about your entry and ask if it would be legal. ::):

Otherwise, just to give you a general guideline, the categories are separated by base size (including for Dark Heaven; i.e. if the base fits within a 1" x 1" square it would go in the first category, if it fits within 2" x 2" it will go in the second category, etc. The same holds true for Warlord. All Exalted and L5R and such will be judged with the Dark Heaven pieces. There is a category for young people (age 15 and under, I believe). The Open category covers all dioramas (i.e. you're using more than one mini in your piece, and the extra minis aren't just dead guys or statuary), as well as painted box sets like Abyst and the bigger dragons. There is a category for best Warlord Unit, and you may include proxied models legally in that category.

Finally, there is the Masters category. For this first year, Masters is where all the staff painters (myself and John) and the freelancers (Jen Haley, Marike Reimer, Derek Schubert) and the Reaper employees and owners go. We're barred from entering all the other categories, thus leaving a large number of trophies open for you guys to win. :;): In the future, the painters who win Best In Show (chosen from the first-place winners of all categories except Masters and the young painters) will have the option to enter the Masters, which will then have a special prize all its own.

The regular categories will be judged by myself and two other painters, probably Jennifer Haley and Derek Schubert as I'm looking at it right now, and we're rotate judges every year. The Masters, on the other hand, will be judged by *you*. That's right, every person entering the painting contest will get a form to vote for their favorite model in the Masters!

Hope that cleared up some things--please, please enter! We're going to have a lot of prizes to give away and I really would like to turn the painting contest into a huge, fun event that makes people want to come to ReaperCon just to compete. ::): I'll see about those competition rules, and give you an update!

--Anne ::D: