AICOM Races

Not at this time, when we're to the point we can incorporate/use fan feedback, we will certainly put the call out (which is also why you won't see an AICOM forum for a while yet, if you want to discuss it and make suggestions the generic RAGE forum would be a good place or the CAV forum itself).

Everyone in the book dept. is working full speed including all of our wonderful freelancers. We spent most of last year working out the administrative and production systems, now it's time to test it and refine it.

The primary hurdle with AICOM is the miniatures side. Believe it or not, retailers (taken as a whole across the industry) are unwilling to try out a sci-fi miniature line without a game to support it. Unlike Fantasy, there is a lot of resistance to a generic line of Sci-Fi that isn't proven, even from Reaper.

This means we must launch AICOM with enough core/basic figures to support the game instead of being able to launch the figures first to help offset development costs of the game (which is what we did with Warlord, while it may have been more popular to have more figures for each of the armies at launch, it simply wasn't realistically possible at the time).

Needless to say, even though it's better for the game and everyone... it's still a coordination nightmare that has to be worked through. But never fear, it's getting done, one of the advantage of going to modular RAGE was that we don't have to reinvent the engine everytime from scratch and we just have to fine tune the modules to the new setting/genre.

But FIRST ... just so we're clear about priorities ... CAV 2 must go forth.

::P:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say thanks to Matt for continuing to post AICOM details (and Dethstryker for bothering Matt for AICOM details!). I'm really pleased to see the effort that's going into making AICOM not just a fun game, and cool minis, but a sustainable product!

As I said elsewhere today -- nice folks that they are, Reaper is still in business to turn a profit.

That being said, it is very nice that a company is willing to share some insight into the decision making process like we've seen over the last few days.

How about getting Kit or Matt, if you can, to repost or PM me the Pics of the Pistol Girl and Sargeant Haan so we can have the pics here to go back and look on. How about that? That'll shut me up...For a minute!

They're posted in 3 or 4 other threads already. Just do a search on AICOM and you'll find them. ::):

Hey there! New to the forums and also quite new to Reaper's mini scene. I've got an ongoing discussion about AICOM with Erion on Portent and desided to register here.

As Erion already pointed out, many gamers (including myself -_-) are looking for an alternative to 40K for various reasons. This is where I see AICOM stepping forward. While there are many good sci-fi rules sets out on the market, there isn't really a miniature line to back them up <_<. Also many really good rules sets have become extremely hard to get because they're out of print (Stargrunt II) or the original maker went under (Void, Warzone).

I hear ya Netdiver... I hear ya. I too am new to the Reaper scene. For a while i hated them because they had no Scifi but know that Warlord (w/rules) is out that all changed. Now i also was a long time follower of Battletech. Played since i was 12 (will be 22 in about 2 months) and have been burned out on it since its many incarnations and support has dropped. Thus comes CAV a very rich and more plausable setting. A much more enjoyable setting. which also begs to have a smaller scale skirmish game based around it ala warlords. thus AICOM was born probably the only scifi skirmish with so much potential.... now it seems i have to get the ball rolling all by my lonesome... :rolleyes:

Once AICOM is in the on-deck circle, you'll dsee a lot more BL folks pushing for it.

Right now we're all slavering for the game that got us paying reaper stuff in the first place to get back on it's feet. Once CAV2 is rolling along nicely, you can bet the farm that AICOM will get the push you all are hoping for.

actually netdiver void is being produced by urban mammoth and warzone is being produced (with new mini's even) by excelsior entertainment.

don't have a clue about stargrunt II though, but majestic 12 games is working on a "sequal" to starslayer called dominion(free pdf of the rules on their website).