General: generating Buzz about WL

Ranzadule

The hard part of converting GW players is not the money they would save, but they already feel they have invested more money than they wanted and if they enjoy the game, why start over. IMO, that is why demos are so important, I don't think WL's market is stealing GW players as much as it is converting new players.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt's 100% correct on this. You aren't going to convince someone that they need to start a new game if they're a GW fan. Someone who has hundreds of GW minis and is still buying probably isn't your best demo target.

The Market for Reaper's games comes from people who are already looking for something new, or who don't have a problem investing a comparitively small amount in a game to get started.

"Someone who has hundreds of GW minis and is still buying probably isn't your best demo target."

Worked for us. I now have an almost full Nefsokar (Reborn, anyone, please?) and I'm beginning to faction out my old freelancers into Overlords, Necropolis, and Reven armies while building up my GW armies.

Someone who has Warhammer minis will probably be a hard sell, but someone who only has 40k minis would be easier.

"Someone who has Warhammer minis will probably be a hard sell..."

I have two complete Warhammer armies, one painted, one half painted. Gamers in general like to play games, I wouldn't write people off just because they play a game that appears to be a competitor.

The notion of being able to play a light quick game appeals to some people. Warlord doesn't require a lot to play in terms of miniatures, time, experience or even really strategy.

This sort of game appeals on a whole nuther level...

There is no point to compete Warlord with Warhammer. Afterall, Warhammer has been present for more than 20 years. Warlord is still in its infantile stage. I know little about Warhammer but I have been playing 40K for more than 8 years. Will I give up 40K to go for another Sci-Fic miniature game? The answer is absolutely NO. However, I definitely will NOT recommend anyone new to adventure into 40K these days. However, the peep pressure alone and the popularity of the game will prevent other new players from looking into other systems.

I picked up Warlord recently and I really like it. In comparison to Warhammer, the game plays fast and the mechanics is good. The figures are way cheaper. The sculpture is better. There is also better moulding of the figures. However, there are drawbacks prevent people from getting into the game.

1. Competition. There are a lot of fantasy miniature games out on the market. Besides Warhammer as a market leader, there are Confrontation, Warmachine, etc. Since there are several good game system to choose from, it comes down to whoever has the best promotion and marketing wins.

2. New game. For all miniature games, you have to spend a lot of time, energy and money. The question here is whether it is worthwhile. Reaper, by history, is known to support one game system at the most. Its CAV is virtually dead. Whether CAV2 will make a comeback and whether the company has enough support for the second edition is highly debatable. It is already very ambitious for Reaper to launch Warlord with 10 different fractions. There are great potentials for the game to develope, evolve and expand, but it will take a while to get there. New players do not want to wait. They like to hit an iron that is hot.

3. Lack of storyline history. There is simply not enough depth into each fraction. This is no comparison to Warhammer which has a rich backgound. In addition, each fraction only has one warlord. There is not enough variety in a high point game, although this is going to change.

There is no easy start for Warlord. I think that a lot of player will take an interest and wait to see what direction the game will evolve. In history, many good games were not successful in the market for all sorts of reasons. At present, all we can try is to do out best to make people aware how interesting this game is and hope for the best. There will not be an easy ride.

3. Lack of storyline history. There is simply not enough depth into each fraction. This is no comparison to Warhammer which has a rich backgound.

How much is this really a factor? Does a story to go with the game actually make people that wouldn't otherwise play start?

I know I could care less, but then I like a good game of cards.

PS

I would actually say that although background is very nice when well written, an extensive and rich background is not a huge requirement. Yes, Warhammer has an extensive background, but only for some of its races. Quite frankly that fluff is pretty much overlooked by the average player as they intently flip to the important stuff like core troops and leaders and the like. I would say that for sheer content in a single rulebook that Wargods blows everyone away as far as fluff.

There really isn't that much competition for fantasy games out there. You just have to take the game and evangalize. Set up demos and the like and just run with it. The success of a game is built from the street level up, manufacturers that realize who their customers are and offer quality service to them will succeed.

No, the story is not the major factor in getting people into the game and surely will help people to choose which fraction and to keep people playing the game. There were many good games in the past. But, without a rich background, people eventually drops their interest and move on. A better way of saying it is that people often get side track by other games.

There is definitely competition out there. Basically, you are aiming the same population of players who are interested in fantasy miniatures. If someone is interested in Warlord and he also knows something about Wargods (another game), the two game systems are already competing with each other.

It's not going to happen overnight folks. Warhammer Fantasy didn't magically gain it's background in one year. It's first incarnation was skirmish rules to help Citadel move it's figures.

That said, I'm hopeful that Reaper is showing an intrest in growing their games beyond the "Here's a supplement" paradigm.

For Warlord, we have faction books forthcoming, for CAV, a new version and eventual faction books for that too. In either case, faction books will provide more background and info about the various groups.

I don't want to see anymore novels until they are better written... :/

Novels are not important to me for a game line. I'd rather have a quality product than time and money wasted on novels.

Let us not forget the eventual debut of the Dark Haven RPG. When? I have no clue.

I personally rate Warmachine as a 40K replacement, as it has enough shooting and Armored "tanks". The play styles are very similiar.

One of my best selling point for any non-GW game to a GW-gamer is just price. You can get a boxed set of 11 metal minis for $40 from reaper, where the same box set would cost.... well you wouldn't see 11 metal minis in a box for GW. Probably no more than 6, and they would cost you $35. When I can say "$100 will get you the rules and enough minis for a decent game.", it causes shortness of breath in GW players...

(to verify $100: Rulebook:$25, Box set: $40, additional hero:$4-$8, 2 blisters of additional grunts: $20-$26. This will get you easily to 1000pts for many factions, as the boxed sets come out to 750pts.)