General: generating Buzz about WL

Ranzadule

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally rate Warmachine as a 40K replacement, as it has enough shooting and Armored "tanks". The play styles are very similiar.

I totally agree with you, but who is going to replace the Warhammer game? For those who is new to miniature gaming, 40K started out as Rogue Trader at the squad level, same as what we have in Warlord now.

I'd like to say that I feel that history and characters are a huge motivator for me. I played my first game of Warhammer Fantasy in the mid eighties, but never really bought figures or invested time primarily due to money issues. Years later I went back to Warhammer because of two things. First I loved the world. I like the whole Chaos thing and have incorporated it into my role-playing games for a LONG time. Secondly I've always loved the Skaven race. They're amazingly original and have great character.

The idea of painting hundreds of miniatures and pushing them around on a board to the beat of a relatively lame system is not appealing... Yet I have probably $1,500 in miniatures and supplies. Why? I dare say I love the game world that GW presented over twenty years ago...

Yes, I agree that most people go straight for the rules etc... But what keeps people going back? You can't love a system. But you can love the world and characters that the system represents.

Also, GW pricing isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. For single character models it's ridiculous (often $10-$12), but the average metal trooper is right there in that $4-$5 range. The thing is you need 20 to make a unit as opposed to 20 to make an army...

I'm relatively green when it comes to wargaming. I've tried to get into 40K and Warhammer. My problem has been the rules aren't easily understandable, and the price of course. Plus then there's all the painting. The GW characters aren't that interesting to me either,even with all of the fluff. I became disgruntled with GW and started buying really cheap minis and downloading free rules to play small skirmish games with my wife and family. I also invested alot into sabretooth's LOTR game. After finding out about Warlord, I had to check it out. I've sold my sabretooth games LOTR collection of 350 plastic minis on ebay last week. (tradable plastic minis even with a good license do nothing for me) Now I own Dwarves, Darkspawn, and Necropolis. I have every model for each faction and plenty of grunts. I can't get enough and I enjoy painting them. This way friends and family (cousins and such) don't have to have their own armies and I enjoy the option of being able to play different ones. I love this game because the characters are interesting and are only going to become better as they are fleshed out in the future. I'm looking forward to the faction books and seeing more Darkspawn models. It seems to me that the game is off to a good start. I love not having anything plastic or badly sculpted. Plus Reaper has Werner Klocke to me means best minis ever. And hey $20 for a rulebook that is hardcover and has quality pictures. Way better than my old 3rd edition 40K book and codexes. Plus, when I've ordered minis online from different retailers there has almost always been backorders on many of the warlord minis. I am impatient but it tells me that people are buying. Possibly many folks that are interested in this sort of thing are buying the minis online and playing with family and friends. I think gamers are going to come around. The quality versus the cost for such a fun game with cool characters. And me being a military (Navy) patriotic sort, I love the fact that Reaper is in the good ol' USA. What's not to love? Here's to many more years of Warlord! Cheers! ::D:

I've been role-playing since the early 80's, but I've only recently started looking at the various miniature games. After spending quite a bit of time looking at the various options I decided to put my money towards Warlord for a couple of different reasons.

First, I like the rule set. It's simple to learn and plays quickly. I also like the fact that I don't need to purchase $100 worth of books just to play a couple of different factions. I get all I really need in the basic rulebook.

Second, the models themselves. The sculpts are great. Much better than most of the others out there. I also like the fact that there are both male and female sculpts. And the sculpts have a better variety of poses, weapons, etc. The one thing I noticed about GW is the complete lack of diversity among their current figures. It's tough to sit down and paint 10 nearly identical grunts.

Third, obviously price is an important factor. I'm married, buying a house (thus constantly repairing said house) and don't have a ton of disposable income to spend on games. The fact I can get a couple of playable armies for a fraction of the cost of many other systems is very appealing. Especially since the sculpts are usually of better quality.

Finally, the fluff. It's kind of funny to hear some people upset that the fluff is not at the same level as GW. They've had 20+ years to develop that world. It's like comparing Taltos to Wizards', Forgotten Realms. You can't expect Reaper to put out a dozens of sourcebooks, novels, and articles overnight. (Frankly, I doubt I would like the result if they did.) It takes a lot of time, creativity and money to generate in depth fluffiness.

Maybe this is just the role-player in me, but I say take the lack of fluff as an opportunity to create your own. Fill in the blanks you want to fill in. Make the world into someplace you and your group want to game in. What do you think motivated Lorielle to become a mercenary? Or why did the Witch Queen turn to darkness? What adventure or conflict opportunities sit in that blank area on the map? Add the answers to your own storyline.

Reaper is trying to downplay 'official' lists and what not. I think that is a good thing. Only three tournaments have certain requirements which isn't asking too much. Beyond that, it's up to you and your group or BL member (if you have one). The rules actually provide for customization by giving us generic data cards and all the modifiers you need. So create your own characters, data cards and backgrounds. Have fun with it.

These were all a big selling points for me and why I decided to spend my hard earned money on it.

Thanks for reading, Tareth

I came into WL because I had so many of the minis for role playing (Gurps, mostly), but have good sized Tyranids, White Scars and Empire armies. (In that battle, I'm afraid that the fantasy Empire pretty much gets chewed up by the nids...). I think that many table-top war gamers would put down the ~100 to have an alternate set of minis to the GW line, especially if the rules and minis are as clean as Warlord's.

I'm trying to paint up enough minis to be able to test run and demo the game, but I just plaint so slowly.

I've enough dragons around, though.. :devil:

I think I've just managed to convert most of the local warhammer players due to cost (we're all in high school, and thus a bit short on money) and the fact that wood elves still haven't been released. I kind of play high elves but I'm putting them on the side to play warlord for a bit.

OK, I've been talking up Warlord on RPGnet OGO, and it looks like a few converts are coming out of it.

I'm also offended at all the "Let's pull the GW gamers away from GW," talk. Might I make a suggestion? How I've gotten a lot of my fellow WFB (yes I'm a dirty dirty GW player, and I have 6 armies to prove it), is explaining it's not WFB, it's not large scale battles, it's not unit on unit, rank and file. It's a fun skirmish level game with excellent mini's and a great rule set. It also takes a lot less time to play out. Then I touch on the price. Honestly, I have met a tabletop gamer who plays WFB who isn't willing to throw 100-125 bucks towards something that interests them. Of course, I believe I deal with an older crowd. That helps. I just keeping talking about it on forums an touch on the good points continually.

The biggest resistance I've run into, is people looking at a skirmish level game look at Confrontation and Warlord, not so much Warlord and WFB. Confrontation looks to be a great game, but IMHO Warlord is better, so it's up to me to get someone else excited.

Hell a fellow poster at RPGnet has placed a pox upon me for getting him excited about the game and making him have smell the local Cat Piss Man. The misery I am content to deal with for the game of Warlord. I want the tittle Pox Carrier.

Oh and as far as history and fluff, I believe the lack of it came up 3-4 times in my talks this weekend. It is important, really important to some of the people out there. I think currently it's one of the area's Warlord is lacking the most currently. I know I'm a huge fluff monger, but the game is great I'm waiting for more in the history.

Oh and as far as history and fluff, I believe the lack of it came up 3-4 times in my talks this weekend. It is important, really important to some of the people out there. I think currently it's one of the area's Warlord is lacking the most currently. I know I'm a huge fluff monger, but the game is great I'm waiting for more in the history.

Yes, it is important, but people need to realize that GW has been developing that background since the early '80s. You can't expect anything like that right out of the box. Believe me there wasn't a whole lot of background in the 1st and 2nd edition rules of the game. It was, literally, just another set of fantasy rules.

I'm sure the background will be developed but you can't have it all in six months.

Yes, it is important, but people need to realize that GW has been developing that background since the early '80s.

And Tolkien and Moorcock started even earlier! ::D: J/K WFB has a lot of influence from LoTR, History and the Eternal Champion. That's not a bad thing, just a fact. Taltos is influenced by them as welland just aobut any good fantasy world will be.

The sense of "history" you have in WFB is not going to be there for Warlord until Warlord has been around for a little while. I like the two page fluff each faction has. "It's a new game so lets get to the rules and work on fluff later" is how I read the book. One thing that would be cool is to work a bit of storyline tournament into it. I'm not suggesting going completely like L5R, but a couple things like a faction prize for GenCon or something would be cool, even if it's just the Story-guy calling you and saying, "HEy, you won GenCon and I have a story choice to be made so you can make it for me" or something like that. Then we become part of the history.

One thing that would be cool is to work a bit of storyline tournament into it.

The Official Tournament at ReaperCon, Origins, and GenCon will all be story-line influencing. The factions that win those will get storyline notes indicating their martial victories. I don;t have any more details than that at this time, and probably won;t until after the storyline for those events is written and available.

One thing that would be cool is to work a bit of storyline tournament into it.

The Official Tournament at ReaperCon, Origins, and GenCon will all be story-line influencing. The factions that win those will get storyline notes indicating their martial victories. I don;t have any more details than that at this time, and probably won;t until after the storyline for those events is written and available.

As Meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad...how many people committed to play would it take to get a Warlord tourney at Origins? A fun tourney that newbies could join would great word-of-mouth.

In case an official one isn't in the works, I started a Origins Event topic.

Is this in addition to the Official, story-line influencing Tournament that our BL crew has been planning since October?

What did you mean 2 out of 3 ain't bad? All 3 Conventions have a planned Official Tournament. Mind you, a second tourney run by other players is always welcome, but your post confuses me by making it look as if there will not be a presence at Origins already.