Making the most of your work space

Ok, I mentioned this before, but my wife bought me a hobby station so I could work upstairs out fo the basement, but not leave the house looking like a workshop. So far, I have been using it for four weeks and have painted more regularly than I ever did in the basement. That alone makes it worth the money, but what it made me think about was all of the painters who work at their coffee tables or kitchen tables. So I decided to shrink everything down that I could to see how small of a space I could use.

Here is a link to the manufactures sight which has dimensions and better quality pics.

Manufacturers site

Here are pictures of it in use: Inside this cabinet are all of my painting supplies.

Cabinet 1

I covered the main area with an old hex battlemat that I never used.

Cabinet 2

Here is a shot of the lower storage shelves. The yop shelf pulls out using heavy duty guides

Cabinet 3

The smudge is because the dog came and smelled the lens. He said he was checking the camera for monsters. Lucky for me he did not find any. I used the drawer organizers that Flynn had found for my paints. They work well, but I still think there is something better out there. I put a drop of the paint on the top of each lid and also wrote the name of the paint on the cap. I have transferred all of my paints to dropper bottles I bought from Western Plastics for $.24 each.

The next pic is of the top storage shelves. There are two more dividers you can add, but I chose not to.

Cabinet 4

This final pic is to show the 1oz bottles I bought from Western Plastics. Instead of having all of these huges containers of basing materials, I filled each of the small jars with the materials and will put the big containers in long term storage. These containers would also be great for travelling. The grouping to the right is the before pic.

Cabinet 5

Anyway, I am using less than half of the capacity of the cabinet. There is room for one messy painter like me, or two more organized painters to work at the same time. I plan on building small paint racks on the inside of the doors to hold the Reaper MSP line, but am still thinking of what I want to use to do that.

If you have any better ideas for organization, please share, especially with the storing and accessability of the paint. These racks are nice and they hold the paint tight, but I find it difficult/pain to keep the paint organized by color. Maybe smaller baskets would work better. I don't know, I am still undecided.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put them all into dropper bottles for 2 reasons. First, it is easier to consistantly measure your paints using a dropper bottle when mixing custom colors. Second, they take up less space.

Normally, I would leave out all of the paints I am using on my current project. Since I finished Thorgram last night and am doing nothing but prepping my dwarven army minis, I have no paints out.

thats a crap load of paints... heh

for me, since i lack alot of free space, all my stuff is on a card table about 5 feet away from me, next to all my guitar amps and guitars..lol

i put a hard peice of wood down (came in my art portfolia thing i bought a few years ago, its like pressed cardboard grade wood.) on the tabhle itself to give me a hard surface... im working on getting a paint carosel (a 4 teired one, im running out of room in my small tackle box for paint)

heh, im going to work on getting this carosel

https://www.fantization.com/cgi-bin/cart/mS...s.html#PNP10080

I plan on building small paint racks on the inside of the doors to hold the Reaper MSP line, but am still thinking of what I want to use to do that.

If you have any better ideas for organization, please share, especially with the storing and accessability of the paint. These racks are nice and they hold the paint tight, but I find it difficult/pain to keep the paint organized by color. Maybe smaller baskets would work better. I don't know, I am still undecided.

racks on the doors: may I suggest you consider the wall mounted spice rack variety, or the wire three sided utility basket style. (I've been searching for pics but it isn't going easy, I'll see if I can find some or if I need to post what I have here)

better organization by color: only suggestion I might be able to offer it to either put more dividers in your trays or to put color labels in their places that would be viewable when the paint is out if the tray to help visually get the color back in the right spot when done. (I use a lazy susan and have all of my MSP on it by their triad in numerical order, I don't find I need more than a minute to replace them at the end of a paint session.)

We have become a coffee table painters, even though We have a nice studio on the second floor that we use. The Lazy Susan transports the MSP portion of our paint collection down to the coffee table easily and a kitchen tray holds everything else we tend to need.

best of luck

cher

I've got wire mesh racks on the wall, and some other types of shelves on the wall as well for paint:

113_1344_IMG.jpg

I also set up some wire shelves in the closet (These are a cinch to install, and are adjustable) and with some plastic cases and various other do-hickeys, I can store a lot of stuff in a very small space (My closet of shame)

113_1349_IMG.jpg

Nice workstation M!

I made racks for my paints with precut wood from a DIY store. To keep the bottles from falling out easily I threaded 1/8 inch dowel threw the uprights. If you put something like that on a door the dowel would keep the bottles in place.

Ny basing supplies are in small drawers of a parts cabinet so I can pull them out and dunk bases. Extras are in garage storage.

workstation