Sign in to follow this  
rex_lyver

Lord Jester, Mercenary: DHL 2884

This was to be my entry in Rob's Lord Jester Contest. Unfortunately other painting commitments put this figure on hold. ::(: Bobby Jackson did a nice job in giving the figure a sense of motion. Unfortunately the cast had some major problems and I had to swap out the sword with a GW plastic sword.

reaperdhllordjestermercenary02.jpg

The overcoat is based with VMC Hull Red, highlighted with Americana Khaki Tan and shaded with a bit of Raw Umber. I used BUSHIDO's bone recipe (nice creamy color) for the overcoat lining/trim.

A DREMEL helped remove some of the broccoli base to fit into one of those nifty Warmachine/Dark Age-type bases.

Comments/suggestions welcomed.

Rex

Two words:

"WOW!!!"

and

"DAY-UMM!!!"

Got a booty shot? Boy, that does sound strange coming from me... doesn't it?

Got a booty shot?  Boy, that does sound strange coming from me... doesn't it?

Ya...

Does my butt look big in this?

How does my butt look?

Did you look at my butt?

Bumm looker....

Ooooh! Very nice! I like it a lot! Thanks for the inspiration!

Consider your paint scheme *yoinked*! ::P:

A Fightin' Texas Aggie Lord Jester in maroon & white!

Whoop!

nicely done.. I really like the color choices in this. I am a huge fan of alternative color choices and different colored highlights in this manner.. well done piece.. I wish I could do half as good!

-jon

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wasn't sure the colors would 'work' - but they seemed to come together in the end.

My original idea was to create a Field Easel and attach it as a backpack - incorporating Rob's artistic aspect into the piece. Creating a dual-weapon wielding artist/mercenary - DON'T TOUCH MY SERIES 7's!!! ::D: As a side benefit, the easel would help hide the badly miscast hair. The concept seemed silly once I realized I wouldn't be able to meet the contest deadline. Instead....

Gratuitous Booty Shot

reaperdhllordjestermercenary02.jpg

Plan B: lift the Tolkienesque script from the top banner of www.jestersminiaturestudios.com and add it to the sword sheath. In my mind's eye it would work, unfortunately it didn't translate very well in Heroic 28mm scale! :unsure: As a contest entry, it's something I would have labored on for hours to get closer to what I imagined - it wasn't, so I didn't. :angry:

Thanks again

Rex

By the way, I was teasing with Jester, but forgot to add my own congrats on an extremely nice paintjob.

I disagree. I think that your lettering could have worked on the sheath, if it was done as NMM or metallic instead of black against the brown of the sheath.

Hey he is cool love your choice of color the coat is exellent also the detail on the sword sheat is really cool i think reminds me I have to paint this guy some day ::D:

when i first saw how you painted the sheath i thought cool its some tolkien lettering and since i cant read tolkien it didnt matter it looked like it. so IMHO you pulled off the look that you were going for very well. great job!!