Thorgram

Digital M@

I hate taking pics of my work, and outside of this and a goblin pic I took this morning, it could be the last of my work photographed until I can figure it out.

img4224fea141ecb.jpg

This is the mini that dullcoat took all of the luster out of the metallics. I spent a few hours shading and highlighting that stuff and not you can hardly tell :angry:

• Like 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

M@, I too think the photo looks pretty good (no, it's not perfect, but what is without putting it through photoshop hell?). And I think the mini is executed very, VERY well. It's a great tribute to the one that Timothy Lison painted.

Don't worry about te dullcote either, it'll eventually settle, and you should see all of your shading/highlighting in no time.

Once again, M@. Great job.

It's a great tribute to the one that Timothy Lison painted. 

Yep, I always saw him in silver and gold, and when I saw the one in the Painted gallery, it matched my vision perfectly. Since I am exceptionally color challenged, I often use other peoples work either as a reference or to just copy it. I found, for me, it is a good way to push myself. An artist has to be able to picture what the end product will look like, not only am I poor at that, I can almost say I am completely incompetant at it. That is why I love the internet and looking at all of the great work on this site.

Now, I did go a drastically different approach on the gold and am quite happy with it. I also used the beard recipe Skavenbabe shared with us.

I love this sculpt, and you did a great job bringing him to life!

As for camera fu .. heck I on average take something like 10 - 15 shots per mini and feed them all through PS to pick the best one. Just dumb luck that one of these come out to my likeing.

M@ great job. the gem really stands out against all the armor and cloth. you complained that all the luster went out of your metallics. have u tried using a little brush on gloss or satin over the dull cote? iver heard that works quite well never tried it myself. but IMO he looks perfect as is.

I like him alot very Lords of The ringsy feel to me. The skin is great and I know what you mean with highlighting metalics and testors dullcoat taking out all the highlights in one fell swoop. So when I do metalics I do the final highlights them after the dullcoat now days when I do metalics. ::):

I like him alot very Lords of The ringsy feel to me. The skin is great and I know what you mean with highlighting metalics and testors dullcoat taking out all the highlights in one fell swoop. So when I do metalics I do the final highlights them after the dullcoat now days when I do metalics. ::):

I usually go and redo the metallics inbetween coats of dullcoat, but this guy is all metallics and I don't really want to redo 90% of the miniature. I think I will try brushing on a semi-gloss of gloss coat in strategic areas and see how that works. Either that, or as you suggested, just hit the highlights with the bright silver again. My worry is besing tempted to improve the mini and in the process screwing it up and having to repaint him.

Matt, I ran him through some photshop foo just to see what would happen. All it did was brighten the pic a bit. (if you want it, email me a real email address and I'll send it to you - cannot attach through the board.) Love the gems. I would give it an 8 easy.