02706 : Clay Golem

prophet118

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good prophet, kinda shiny have u dull coted yet? or it could just be the pic. as im allways told keep practing. I can see an improvement in your work overall.

I ws thinking it was Shiney as well.. but it is supposed to be a clay golem.. so that it might have been intended to look wet? The Skin tones are nice.. but with the shininess it is hard to tell how smooth the blending is?

It looks nice though.. I really wanted to get this mini too.. but have not yet.. now I am going to have to rethink that.

-jon

Actually, I think you did a pretty good job with the flesh tones, especially since you did not use traditional flesh colors. You defined the recesses/shadows very well, but the rest of the flesh looks a little flat. You needed to highlight the raised areas more to let our eye know they are higher than the rest. This is an excellent miniature to work on with flesh because the proportions are so extreme. It also makes it a bit difficult. Nice work, IMO this is one of your best pieces we have seen.

looks good prophet, kinda shiny have u dull coted yet? or it could just be the pic. as im allways told keep practing. I can see an improvement in your work overall.

it is a bit shiney, thats actually due to the mini..lol

i probably got a bit too close when i sprayed it, im still working on that fine balance of closeness and too far away

I ws thinking it was Shiney as well.. but it is supposed to be a clay golem.. so that it might have been intended to look wet? The Skin tones are nice.. but with the shininess it is hard to tell how smooth the blending is?

It looks nice though.. I really wanted to get this mini too.. but have not yet.. now I am going to have to rethink that.

-jon

lol, yeh it was a fun mini, and there wasnt hardly any flashing on mine... the sculpt was pretty nice

as soon as i get my new camera i'll be posting new pics!

Actually, I think you did a pretty good job with the flesh tones, especially since you did not use traditional flesh colors. You defined the recesses/shadows very well, but the rest of the flesh looks a little flat. You needed to highlight the raised areas more to let our eye know they are higher than the rest. This is an excellent miniature to work on with flesh because the proportions are so extreme. It also makes it a bit difficult. Nice work, IMO this is one of your best pieces we have seen.

i started it off with a flesh tone i made... i didnt have any.lol

it was blazing orange, skull white, and a bit of bestial brown... turned out alot like dwarf flesh..lol

i highlighted with elf flesh, then did some washes... it was interesting..lol, it was the first mini i had used a flesh wash on..lol

this mini and brom were the first two i painted from this order

Looks pretty good. Though I'd recommend not using a wash to shade fleshtones. It makes the skin look not quite right (something I've been guilty of in th past myself).

As far as the fleshtone. Not bad for a home-brew mix. It just looks a little pink, wich makes him look, well, you know... :poke:

Join the army. If there is one skill everyone learns, it is how to spraypaint. It is hard to explain, but when you start spraying, start a few inches to one side of the mini and sweep across the mini in a nice smooth stroke. Don't stop spraying until you are a few inches past the miniature. I do one pass in each direction and consider that 1 coat. If you try to start or stop your spraying on the mini, you greatly increase your chance of getting too heavy of a coat. Spray 8-12 inches away and you should be fine.