Picture hosting...

Lars Porsenna

Thinking about posting my painted figures here on Reaper, now that I have a digital camera. Problem: no place to host the picures! I know some people have talked about this in the past. Sooo...how do I go about this and is there a FREE site I can do the hosting at? (A pay site is out of the question currently, since I lost my job to outsourcing to India...).

Damon.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just started using Yahoo photo's; unlimited space for free they say; however, they automatically shrink your photos down. Plus it's connected to your yahoo ID, which isn't a big deal if that ID is connected only to the photo album.

I'm going to switch, but I need something free.

I found a picture hosting site that seems like an awesome deal. Free, 1 meg size limit, unlimited pictures, and 100 meg an hour transfer limit. The only thing that I see negative is that you have to upload one at a time, unless you are willing to pay for batch transfer. Another thing is they change the image name, so that they can handle more images without duplicate names, as I understand it. I have not yet tried the service, I'm waiting until I do retakes. But so far so good. It's worth a try for those without picture hosting, or hosting with limitations.

Image Shack Picture Hosting

This is also a great place to load pictures and such. You can laod up to ten at a time.. I do not see a space limit but I am sure it is fairly large.. I know I have a few pics on there and have not had a problem as of yet. It is a good picture site and you can share with others too :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp

-jon

This is also a great place to load pictures and such. You can laod up to ten at a time.. I do not see a space limit but I am sure it is fairly large.. I know I have a few pics on there and have not had a problem as of yet. It is a good picture site and you can share with others too :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp

-jon

Well, I searched the help section of the site up and down, it is the saddest excuse for a help file I've ever seen. I couldn't find any of the important stats anywhere. The only thing is that they accept a max resolution of 1600 x 1200, since that's the highest one they list in the price list for making prints. I'm guessing of course, and they could easily accept larger. The other thing I found is they don't allow downloading full images, so if you go back later to download the image you uploaded, it will have been shrunk.

On the plus side, it is kodak, and they are running a business with is, so it's likely to stay free, and a name you can trust.

I'll check it out later after I do retakes of my mini's in the future.

I tried out the Kodak and Imageshack services.

Imageshack is great, it lives up to everything it says (unlimited space, 1 meg filesize, direct linking) The only downside for me, is they don't easily allow you to make multiple folders and albums. I like to organize my pictures, not have one big wad of them all on one page. Further, it does allow direct linking to individual pictures, but not to all of your pictures. A big downside for me.

Kodak didn't work out too well. It's obviously a storefront more then anything. But for my purposes, sharing pictures, it has a major flaw. I uploaded a 3mb file, which it proply cut down to 10kb and 400 by 300 pixels. I want my photos to be unaltered. That was kind of a deal breaker.

So for now I'm sticking with Imageshack, but I'm going to keep looking for new free services.