My first Green

Nanite

img422cddb33f1f3.jpg

Sculpy and Greenstuff. My first exposure to greenstuff results in a really uneven little model (big for a mini though, around 2.5" tall on the base). There's a lot wrong: wonky pose, bad proportions, and an overall poor likeness of a relatively simple subject.

My two big problems are 1) Patience, and 2) Trying to make each finished shape, and not building in layers.

While I'm more than a little disappointed with this; as I grew up making all sorts of things out of sculpy, so I just expected better of myself. I am happy that I went through with finishing it, no matter how poor it was turning out.

Big thank-you to Enchantress, for the suggestions on hands, they really did look worse before your help, and to everyone else on the forums for the warm welcome!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol its definately not a mcnugget.

You did a really good job on the hands. They look great. Although there is relatively little green stuff, what you have on there is smooth. That is something I'm having a hard time with.

Also good job following through with the project. Thats another thing I am trying to work on. Keep practicing!

I'm so sorry Enchantra! :down: That's my faulty brain at work.

Just yesterday a coworker sent me an e-mail saying the cyan toner was out in a printer. I read it three times going "cylon toner? What?" I'm going to blame the unusally warm and allergy-packed winter we are having in the Pacific NW.

Oh and I'm finding sculpy to be a nice, inexpensive alternative to greenstuff, and I'm starting to get the hang of doing sculpy as a base, then Green Stuff for details. New pics up soon!

Thanks again!

ETA: Humansquish, I basically drown my worksurface, tools, and hands. I think that's where the smoothness comes from.

You are correct Crusoe, Sculpy (or Super Sculpy) gets more challenging to work with the smaller you go. So far my minis have been fairly large.

What is odd though, I always found Fimo to be really crumbly unless you kneeded it to death. I may have to pick some up again.

Are Spyglass Miniature's Greens out of Fimo? That would make sense, since it seems more riged then GreenStuff, and I can't figure out how some of their minis were sculpted.

New mini up soon, lots of improvement.

If they are greens, they are probably GS.... :)

Some people use Tamiya or Milliput. Those sculptors that use polymer clay seem to like the more skintone colors, such as champagne.

Yeah, Fimo and Premo both need to be kneaded before use. But you can break off a small piece and knead with just your fingers as you use it. :)

Steve talks about what he used to sculpt the sorceress green in this thread: http://www.heresyminiatures.com/forumofdoo...opic.php?t=1180

It's about halfway down the first page. He says that it has 1/3 superfine white milliput added into it. I think the rest is greenstuff.. (I think he's discussed his materials in the past but I can't recall where..)

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

While sculpting over the weekend I stuck a 3/4" ball of greenstuff in the freezer for later use. Pulled it out yesterday to find it had mostly cured.

Live and learn!

Next project should be up by the end of the week, a martian tripod based on this cover:

wotw1938.1.jpg

If you like sculpting large things that you might want to put into spincast production, try

http://www.magicsculp.com/

Magic Sculpt has the same properties as Milliput, but comes in bulk for a decent price. It can be mixed with GS to make "Minty Stuff". It can also take vulcanization mixed or unmixed with GS.

Holds an edge well, too, for blades and techno stuff.

Smoothes with water.

No, I'm not on the payroll, but it sounds like it. :blush:

Best,

John Bear Ross