Questions regarding comission work

Enchantra

OK this is comission work for beading not painting.

Back in November this guy was in contact with me about ordering custom made jewelry for his wife. We had an agreed upon price and we had agreed on the gemstones and materials but not on the length of the piece or if he wanted silver or gold accent beads.

Now mind you our last conversation was November 3rd. I had not heard from him since that day so I figured he had decided not to order. So I had deleted all my saved messages about his order.

I got home today from working out with Mom to find an envelope on my bed from an address I didn't recognize. I opened it and out dropped a $45 check and a copy of the email from November 3rd. ::o:

So I did what I felt was appropriate and sent him an email asking him for the needed info and that I had received the check but was not going to cash it till I had heard from him.

Any further suggestions or were my actions reasonable? I haven't received a reply from him yet.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think you did the right thing. My husband and I have a leatherworking business, and we do the occasional custom order. In most cases I ask for some percentage up front before starting work. The exceptions are for people I know, or if the piece is something that I have a reasonable expectation of selling if the person backs out (color/style combination I don't have on hand, for instance).

By not cashing the check yet, you're saving yourself a possible headache if there is/was any misunderstanding on what you'd agreed on before.

I probably would have waited a little longer to delete his mail, but I'm admitted pack-rat. ::D:

Well, when it's been four months since I have heard from the person till this check suddenly showed up. After four months I'm going to make the assumption that they are not interested in purchasing from me. So with this in mind, a month ago I cleaned out my inbox where I had the messages stored. Usually I will keep these messages for up to at least a couple months. So I find it odd really that this cash just suddenly appeared without warning in my snail mail.

Just email him back and work out the details. It is strange that he mailed a check after so long, but as long as you don't cash it until you work out the terms, this is easy enought to work out.

I did email him. I just haven't heard back since I dropped him the email on Monday.

It's beyond strange to me [email protected] Why after four months of no contact would I suddenly hear from him and get a check?