Sign in to follow this  
Rastl

Airbrush + Primer = Happiness

Guest madDdog67

I tried using Flow Aid mixed as directed on the bottle, in a 1:1 ratio. I played around a little with straight water too. As this was pretty late by the time I got the CO2 tank hardware done and my other chores taken care of, I really didn't get a chance to find the thinner "sweet spot". Also, I most likely won't be using Tamiya paints anyway, so I will probably have to try it with the Villejo Game Colors, or even the dreaded Citadel.

I have some of the Villejo thinner which the guy at the hobby shop strongly recommended for any VGM paint. I'll probably get the chance to play with this a little more over the weekend, AFTER I've gotten a respirator. Between playing with the aribrush and testing a couple of cans of Duplicolor primer out las night, I think I've gotten enough paint fumes for the week. :unsure:

Another question about using this airbrush. As I stated, its a paasche double action internal mix, and I really like it. However, I am having issues with the paint "gooping" out. Could this possibly be from not having enough pressure? My thought initially were of the paint drying inside the gun due to the air. Could this also be a possibility? I have done some research online, but I have yet to find any info that helps me, and these boards are the only place I have to seek out info. I mean, you guys are the only people I know that actually use airbrushes for minis. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fallen

@The Fallen - I'll take a stab - A little more info would help - when does it happen? in the middle of a paint stroke or at the end or beginning?

1. Pulling back before pushing down? always push down for air before pulling back for paint.. and conversely let the needle travel forward (don't snap it.) before releasing air.

2. could be low air or paint too thick - these will cause paint to spurt. The VL is a bottom feed gun and has to have enough air passing through it to cause the paint to lift up into the gun. If you have the cup that sets to the side, use it.

3. Paint clean - no hard dry bits in it? screen through panty hose.

4. dirty needle or cone? I've found those little intra dental brushes (cone shaped) will clean the needle cone out fairly well. There is a set of "air-brushes" that can be purchased that have several sizes to clean out the varius places paint get in your guns.

5. seals good? - it could be sucking air instead of paint? check the rear needle seal.

6. Bottle air relief? If you are using bottles under your gun, the little air hole in the lid has to remain open. (I have to watch where it is or I will cover it with my fingers.)

I have been using the cup that sits to the side. I am beginning to think that is a combination of inexperience and the paint drying too quick. I have noticed that after several minutes of spraying, it begins to get goopy. So, I am going to try and thin the paint with a little slow dry.

I upped my compressor to a whirlwind II from Badger. It has already shown a little bit of an improvement, as it is supplying more airflow. That other little one i had gauged out at around 13 psi. This is is gauging at 35. I am sure I am going to need a regulator, so I am out to pick one up. Thanks for the tips, I will take them to heart, and see if I can get this going. Best thing is, I am off for the next 3 days, so I have a lot of time to play with it.

Fallen

...I have noticed that after several minutes of spraying, it begins to get goopy...

This sounds like build up on the needle. quit painting and look at the needle. should be clean and shiney, but may have some paint dried on it. Pick it off with your pinky nail. (or carefully clean it with a wet hollow tube cotton swab - not Q-tip with the blue hollow shafts - don't damage the needle)

Depending on what needle you're using, I'll sometimes take the outer tip off and clean it with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol. Note this is not a good idea for the fine needle...

Damon.

Guest madDdog67

from what you describe, it's most likely exactly what you think it is...the paints drying out....but I'm sure it would be helpful for everyone to know the type of paint/thinner you're using.

Almost all of my limited experience is with acrylic paints...and most of these will dry up in no time unless thinned just right. Plus, I have no experience with a double action brush...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I suppose my generic "off the cuff" advice would be this:

Equipment

• Regulator (Mandatory)
  • Moisture Trap (Mandatory)
  • Auto Shut-Off (Recommended)
  • Air Tank (Nice to have)
  • Air Brush Holder (Highly recommended to mandatory)

Paint Consistency:

• Buy one throw away paint bottle...
  • Put some in your airbrush cup/bottle
  • Try to make the paint in your airbrush cup/bottle too thin to use with a brush
  • work up or down from there until you see better flow

Short Story

One friend originally started me with a single action airbrush & craft paints. After a few lessons and fiddling from PSI from 15 - 35... we pulled out some airbrush paints that I had bought "just to see the difference"... muuuuuuch better and never higher than 20 PSI... and little to no clogging. Little when I had the consistency wrong, none when I got it right. In the end, in spite of having very basic equipment, most of my clogs were paint issues...

Of course, airbrushes are not all alike... and I'm no expert... soooo.... experiment and don't get too frustrated... it takes a little experimentation time... and a little more paint than one would want to use... but getting the consistency right makes a world of difference...

Rgds,