Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Tuneage

My faves range from classical (Wagner, Orff, The Conan soundtrack, and Glenn Danzig's Black Aria), to classic rock from the 60's (the doors, Iron Butterfly, etc...), to good ol skull crushin metal (Accept, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Warlock/Doro Pesch are some faves). For a really wicked change, why doesn't someone gte a copy of Bathory's "Blood On Ice" and tell me what they think of it? It's a Norse Edda set to modern music. It so totally rocks!

I find what i listen to affects the outcome of my painting... The slower, more somber stuff tends to make for darker, less highlights, more shading type figures, while if i throw on something more upbeat, i tend to get bolder color blocks, and mutiple highlights.... So most of my Undead/vampire stuff was painted to 80's and 90's goth and darkwave, while my darkelves and hero types where painted to classical and blackmetal.... Oh, and the problem i have with just throwing on my mp3 list, is my daughter loves to use daddy's pc... so i'll get three sisters of mercy songs, then BLUES CLUES BIRTHDAY SONG.... suck into my playlist..... really throws the painting groove off.... worse when you realise the last three models have smilie faces, and pink shirts..........

my daughter loves to use daddy's pc... so i'll get three sisters of mercy songs, then BLUES CLUES BIRTHDAY SONG.... suck into my playlist..... really throws the painting groove off.... worse when you realise the last three models have smilie faces, and pink shirts..........

Aha, a fellow parent.  I understand your pink shirts.

Does your daughter want to paint too?

We bought some cheesy cheap plastic minis out of a clearance bin, just for the little guy, he hasn't tried to paint them, but he leaves ours alone, well, more often anyway.

cbs

For me it depends what I'm painting, I like to get into theme with music...

When painting Clan War minis, i throw in some Taiko music (like Ondekoza or Kodo) or the Princess Mononoke soundtrack.

When painting Great Rail Wars minis I throw in CD's of Western movie/TV themes.

For Fantasy miniatures I vary based on what they are, bagpipe music, the Conan Soundtrack, Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, Classical Thunder, Horror Movie themes.

For Crimson Skies planes I throw in swing music, Glenn Miller, Joe Jackson's Jump n Jive, Tucker a Man and his Dream soundtrack, or Louis Armstrong.

Sometimes I like to listen to more modern stuff, anything from Moby to Men without Hats, NiN to Alice Cooper, Creed to Talking Heads.  Ben Folds and Weird Al are always good.

I just have to wait for our little one to go to sleep before I can get any painting done.  He loves to play with colorful things like paint pots, and if I'm listening to any music with a good dance beat then he comes in and dances around, and that just gets me laughing too hard to get any painting done.

:laugh:

I just can't do TV or movies though, I actually find those far more distracting than music.  I don't have the same problem with Books on Tape (or CD).  My only problem with those are that they're so darned expensive.  But it's nice to get some painting done and have people read to you at the same time...

On the upside the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dennis Miller's Rants, and the Reduced Shakespeare Company have good replay value.  

Oh yeah, and someone else mentioned Bill Hicks, comedy CD's are great too, Bill Hicks, Denis Leary, Bill Cosby, George Carlin...

The only problem with admitting to listening to Bill Hicks on Web Forums is you can't use any of his quotes as a sign off, as they are too likely to offend someone.

- see what I mean?

That's not true... here's some Bill Hicks quotes that are non-offensive:

"We're the hooligans... ...  "

"This is Hobbiton and I'm Bilbo Hicks, ok."

"Do you think making Nature against the law seems a bit, I don't know, unnatural?"

OK, admittedly that was ALL the material I could find that could be universally considered unoffensive (except maybe to hobbits...)

Hey Kelcore,

Iced Earth's Alive in Athens is excellent for painting especially if you have a CD changer. †:cool:

I also leave the TV on for background noise, even soaps are tolerable when I get into my zen-painting mood.

Ah...always a pleasure to meet a fellow Iced Earth fan (though I have yet to pik up Alive in Athens), Skald!

I get into a very focused mindset as far as painting goes when I'm listening to them.

Aha, a fellow parent. †I understand your pink shirts.

Does your daughter want to paint too?

We bought some cheesy cheap plastic minis out of a clearance bin, just for the little guy, he hasn't tried to paint them, but he leaves ours alone, well, more often anyway.

†yes, she loves to paint... †i find toy solders from cheap toy stores works for her too, but now she's getting to smart, and wants "scupters" like daddys... †luckily i got 100 or so plastic lizardmen when i left my old job... so we have armys of "Barney" laying around.... pink and purple lizardmen....

wow, I have thus far staved him off on birdhouses and trains.  The local unfinished furnature store is handy for that stuff, but soon, very soon, he'll not take no for an answer and he'll get to paint figs.

cbs

Right now I listen to alot of Tom Waits and Wumpscut. Banco de Gaia is good while painting as well. Or Robert Rich...

I'm all over the place...

Blind Guardian, Demons and Wizards, [The Whistler when painting Skaven],Urusei Yatsura CDís [especially UY symphony], Apocaliptica & Classical music are my first choices.

I usually put on about 4-5 CD's worth of music, knowing that I'll be sitting for a couple hours. †I'll usually listen to film soundtracks such as "Bram Stoker's Dracula," "Sleepy Hollow," "Beetlejuice," "Man in the Iron Mask" (Music's better than the movie) and "Waterworld." †Any of those or video game soundtracks from Final Fantasy's 1-6 & 9 or from Castlevania.

I try not to listen to lyrical music as I found that it can become distracting.

Try the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ. It is by Peter Gabriel. Great soundtrack.

Also the Tangerine Dream version of the Legend soundtrack. Quite good.