Fantasy names

Reaper Ron

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also made good use of random name-generator programs.  There's one that takes bits of names and concatenates them (You end up with the likes of "Frobo Heatherhill" if you make hobbits, for example.), and another that lets you define wildcards and then sticks random letters in according tot he wildcards you define.  You end up with a lot of names like "Xeuacjf O'Bragwadrac", but about five in 29 are ok.

Got to www.rpg.net, I think they're listed somewhere.

I like pretty names for girls.

I'm funny like that.

I tend to stick to flowers, herbs and gemstones when I am at a loss.

I like names that can be large and imposing in their entirety but shorten to a nice small diminutive for regular use.

Ivy is a good name, I think you should use Ivy on a mini.

cbs

Reaper Ron and Kit, you guys are missing a excellent opportunity to immortalize yourselves and the rest of the Reaper employees.  

Examples:  Ron the Rascally Rogue, Kit the Cutpurse,  Poison Ivy the Drow Princess (ReaperIvy), etc.

Second idea.  Have a contest for all forum members to submit the most imaginative, the funniest, etc.  Winners not only get the name used on upcoming figures but win gift certificates, free minis, whatever.

rm

rm

Second idea.  Have a contest for all forum members to submit the most imaginative, the funniest, etc.  Winners not only get the name used on upcoming figures but win gift certificates, free minis, whatever.

And a free year subscription to Casketworks! :D

Some other names from our assorted D&D games:

Murchad McComnel:human druid

Pogie Ploof:my wife's halfling thief. (Ploof is the name of a

truck line)

Gorn the Crusher:Barbarian(You were expecting Elf Sword-

Dancer?)

Nherhu Vargas:human Ranger

Dave the Half-elf Wizard(RIP)

Borodil(a much better Elf Wizard)

Vehlyn Smeck:human Ranger

Mazie Underhill(halfling Guild thief)

Townshend:a human medical student

It seems that taste in names is highly dependant upon the individual, so short of sending huge lists of names, I think the Reaps are safe with just about anything.

I'd like to see a "staff" line of look alikes though, that'd be cool.

Above anything though, the name must be descriptive of the nature of the figure.  A noble woman should have a fancy, "upper class" sounding name (ala: Beatrice, Fhyillandria, Gwendolyn, etc.) and a lowly dirt scraping goblin with bad breath might be named Rotmouth.

A good name tells (or at least hints) at the true nature of the character IMO.

Of course, Princess Buttercup and the Dread Pirate Roberts are always staple standbys.  :;):

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the next character I play is going to be named Leviticus Stormhammer. :)

Heh. Actually, that was the first Fading Suns character I played. Thank you, Infinity. I never thought I would be immortalized in such a fashion. :)

--lstormhammer, the original.

David Drake once wrote  a story in which all the Elves last names were pharmaceuticals.

I was just "fixing" my health insurance, and Blue Cross had a tiny booklet that listed all the drug names;  This was EXACTLY what I though of when I saw it.  

The crazy names they've created for pharmaceuticals work GREAT, as long as you don't use the advertised ones like Vioxx or Celebrex.

Elvista is a drug name, Allegra to. But that is a actual name and free game for use, plus I already listed it before as Allegra Starbreeze half elf bard extrodinaire! BUt yes, the drugs have some pretty interesting names. And some would do well as fantasy names!

Lady Tam

I had an old Gamma World character who's mutations hasted him...gave him several attacks around.  He used to knives so of course his name:

Ginsu Speedstone  ^_^

In our current D&D game I have a half-orc Bard name Naz'reth (and yes...he plays "Hair of the Dog" for his Summon Monster spell :P)

Other good ones I've come across....

Artimus

Koranna

Stumpwater Jack (from the D&D  char. generator)