Humorous quote

Orchid_Noir

Alright, I was perusing another forum and ran across a statement that had me about falling out of the chair laughing.

I've got a question, though: why are all of GW's "named" figures always so much more expensive? Reaper names nearly all of their figures and doesn't charge extra for it!! Why should I have to pay twice as much for a fig with a name on the package?

:lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you have to figure in the following...

- power of said character ruleswise

- popularity (some are special characters, and very few people will buy them, so GW needs to break even somehow on producing the figure)

- GW's money grubbingness

- the failure of Warhammer Online ::P:

so your sayin guy with pointy stick is more cheaper then LORD BLA BLA WITH WALLETSTRIKER sword?? ::D:::P:

then again Reaper cares for it's customer, they WANT you to buy a 2nd, or 3rd or so on & so on figures. Where GW trys to make cash off the new "named" guy that was just released!!!

Randy M --only thing I use from GW is bases!!!!!

I'm almost surprised GW hasn't actually placed some kind of legal statement on their models that prohibits players from naming un-named models themselves.

Though this raises a question in my mind.

WHO makes up the names for Reaper models? Is it the model designer, or is there a fantasy baby-name book hidden somewhere at Reaper HQ?

No more Mr. Nice :0). I don't agree with some of GW's marketing techniques, some prices, or their attitudes, but I still love them.

so your sayin guy with pointy stick is more cheaper then LORD BLA BLA WITH WALLETSTRIKER sword?? ::D:  ::P:

No, I'm saying that, for example, a heavily armoured and ornate lizardman with skull helm and large scimitar is more expensive than just a naked lizardman warrior with a simple spear and simple shield, especially when the character can have DOUBLE the stats, a handful of special rules, and cost 200-400pts more than a regular model.

then again Reaper cares for it's customer, they WANT you to buy a 2nd, or 3rd or so on & so on figures. Where GW trys to make cash off the new "named" guy that was just released!!!

Partially correct. Reaper is an RPG supplier. Prices are low so that RPGers will return and keep buying single minis. GW is a wargaming company, where the emphasis is on units and armies, not single characters, so they have a very minute market for single models. If and when they release named special characters for Warhammer Fantasy, for example, not many people will feel the need to put an increbily expensive hero in their roster sheet, so GW will not sell many of that character --> higher prices for the figures that they DO sell. Here's a recap:

[name --> emphasis --> result]

Reaper --> RPG's and D&D --> Cheap single models, expensive units

Games Workshop --> Armies --> Cheap units, expensive single models

And before you argue the last two words, when you do the math, most plastic sets ($30 for 20 models) comes down to $1.50 per man sized figure. I buy on discout for $25 a box, so that reduces it to $1.25 per figure. Is that so bad, really? $1.25 is only $0.28 more per mini than Old Glory's fantastic deals, but GW's figures are marginally better sculpted (for the most part).

Yes, I love angry run-on sentences too.

But it is plastic.

No, I am no fan of GW, but not so much because of marketing strategies, as they had a strong corner on the market and became the 500 lb gorilla that made the terms. For the most part, I am not a fan of the sculpts. I am only attracted to the named figs which are over priced for the RPG market.

I did try Warhammer 40K for a short time, but soon realized I did not want to spend the money for a game all of my friends were to broke to get into. I have just started getting into Warlord as a game instead of just cool figs. The price of the starter boxes are excellent, but you will still spend at least $100 to field a diverse army. What attracted me to Warlord was I already owned many of the figs so I could buy a few started armies and for an additional $100-150 I could have 2-3 1000 pt armies ready to fiels. This way I can fund and sucker my friends into the game. Once they are hooked, they will start buying their own armies.

But it is plastic.

That's not it. The metal units are $9 for three figures, so $3 per figure, or 7.50 to 8.00 a blister online. $2.50 or $2.67 for a regular figure is still cheaper than reaper.

OMGWTFBBQ GW has teh good prices for teh opposite of reaper and vise versa!!111!!2!~

I apologize for the second post, but the second part I felt needed a seperate response.

I did try Warhammer 40K for a short time, but soon realized I did not want to spend the money for a game all of my friends were to broke to get into.

Suck it up and buy units at a time like me, or use ebay. No one's forcing you to plop down the entire amount for an army in one fell swoop. ::P:

I have just started getting into Warlord as a game instead of just cool figs.  The price of the starter boxes are excellent, but you will still spend at least $100 to field a diverse army.

You will also spend nearly double that for a new playstation/x-box, memory cards, controllers, online subscriptions, games, and cables to hook up to your tv. That's the price we pay for a hobby.

What attracted me to Warlord was I already owned many of the figs so I could buy a few started armies and for an additional $100-150 I could have 2-3 1000 pt armies ready to fiels.

Duh. Warlord is a skirmish game. Before you start accusing the pot of calling the kettle black, 40k is indeed edging closer to a warband game with its main audience being small children who play SPAFCEMAREENZ!!!11. I don't play 40k, though, so I can freely admit this. Warhammer Fantasy, on the other hand, is a high model count wargame, so it's expected that it would cost more than Warlord.

It's not fair to compare Warlord's typical army pricetag with an army from a different system, you see?

It's not fair to compare Warlord's typical army pricetag with an army from a different system, you see?

Sure it is - you just need to equalize it somehow. Now, even though I dislike GW and am an admitted Reaper Fanboy, in all fairness:

Warhammer:

Rule Book

Army Book

Dwarf Lord

Runesmith

10 Thunderers

16 Warriors w/ command

Cannon

Warlord:

Rule Book

Dwarf Warlord

Cleric

Sergeant

Captain

9 Piercers

15 Warriors

Griffon

Same model count, same rough composition. Warhammer cost: $165. Warlord cost: $181.

So, with a roughly fair comparison, GW is actually cheaper to field a large amount of figs.

The real difference is that Warlord is playable for less than Warhammer. However, a better comparison would be to take Mordheim vs Warlord, as both are skirmish. Coming up next...

Round Two - Warlord vs Mordheim. Ding Ding!

This one is easier:

Mordheim: free rules + 8-model Warband, $40

Warlord: Rulebook + 8-model Troop, $61

Obviously, the difference is the cost of the rulebook, as Warlord models are $4.5 while Mordheim models are $5.

The real difference, however, lies in the mechanics - IMHO, Warlord is a far superior system.

I was not trying to start an argument

You didn't - you got threadjacked! (sorry I participated in that). I got a good chuckle out of the quote, actually. Anyway, no tempers flaring that I could see. :0) made some good points, both for and against GW.

If we can't touch a subject because it doesn't show Reaper as superior in every facet, then reasonable discussion will degrade into the rabid company fanboyism you see on a majority of the GW boards. I don't see that happening here.

As my final measure of threadjacking, my point is this: I don't love warlord because it's the cheapest fantasy skirmish game out there, as it's not ... I love it because it's the best one.

This thread was all in good fun, with pokes being made at both GW and Reaper until :0) started slinging insults.

Actually, my first post was lighthearted joking about GW pricing. I felt insulted by haldir's post after it, though.