Super Size Me

kit

• Super Administrators

Incredibly thought-provoking film. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen, and instantly jumped into my top ten list of favorite movies. Go rent.

kit

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh I heard about this in a news clip about one of the recent indie-film awards presentations. It's pretty much a documentary about a man who eats fast-food three meals a day for a year and all the wonderful beautiful changes his body goes through in the process. ... yuck!

I saw a few stills from the film..scary yet it makes you think.

ah man, that film gets ya thinking. I dont buy many dvds, but we decided this was one we would put on our shelves. ^_^

He had like 3 rules or something like that.

Eat only McDonals, every meal, for one month

Eat at least one of every item on the menu.

He had to supersize if asked (and during that month he was only asked like 9 times and 5 of them were in Texas? number's may be a little off but that's the gyst of it.)

I liked the food in the jars experiment in the special's section. Too bad the intern threw theMc fries away, would have liked to have seen how long those would have lasted lol :lol:

Saw it, and it was okay, but his basic experiment was flawed.

He went from walking 4-5 miles per day to an average of about 1. Even if he hadn't changed his diet, he still would have seen increases in body fat, weight, etc - though a steady diet of McD's certainly doesn't help.

Still, for the few people who still think of fast food as being healthful, it might be beneficial. IMO, anyone who thinks a greasy burger smothered in plastic cheese is good for them was denied oxygen at crucial developmental moments.

I will eat fast food, but only in moderation. Barring pizza, the last "fast food" I ate was easily 2-3 months ago, and it would not suprise me to find that it was before Thanksgiving. (I make an exception for pizza - depending on the toppings and the restaurant, pizza is not uniformly bad.)

NOw if he ate the kids meals 3 times a day, I bet he would not have been to bad off. Those happy means are plenty of food for me, they are cheap and they come with toys. I am hoping McDonalds follows Wendy's and offers a side salad instead of fries. I would opt for that every time. McDonald frys usually cold.

What is funny about the premise is that if you went to any restraunt for three meals a day and ate the whole portion served you would gain a lot of weight. Restraunts in the US overserve. Ruby Tuesdays used to put the calories next to the food items on the menu. Most meals were 1700 calories.

Restraunts in the US overserve. Ruby Tuesdays used to put the calories next to the food items on the menu. Most meals were 1700 calories.

::o:

That's the high end of my daily caloric allotment a day! (yes, I'm on a diet - doctor approved lower calorie, healthier food, higher exercise one)

I will agree, though. A lot of restaurants serve the equivalent of 4 servings on a plate. I've learned that when I go to out to eat, I'll ask for a To Go box as soon as the food is brought to the table and will deposit all but a single portion into said box before I start eating. Then I'll end up with at least two more meals. ^_^

I still say we need a Healthy Living forum for those of us trying to lose weight, eat healthier, and exercise more.

Digital - true. If you want, you could eat McD's every meal for a month and be okay. The keys are (1) portion control, (2) sufficient exercise, and (3) choosing your meals carefully. Heck, once it came out, I thought about contacting McD's and seeing if they would fund the same experiment for me. I take in better than 3000 calories per day, and according to several physiology labs (based on respiration, heart rate, etc), I should weight about twice what I do.

(Yes, when they had their triple cheeseburger, I would go in and order 2. Plus fries. Supersized. I was also biking 15-20 miles per day, and keeping up with traffic when I did so.)

We watched this in one of my classes, and I found it utterly revolting.

I don't want to watch a grown man with an ugly mustache wolf down a Big Mac and then vomit it up again.

I don't want to see footage of stomach-stapling set to classical music.

I don't want to hear his girlfriend complain that their sex life is almost gone since he started his lardtastic diet.

I don't want to see aforementioned mustachioed man parading around in a Speedo.

To me, it was more propaganda than anything. No ****; You sit on your rear eating fast food, you're gonna get fat. Fat, in moderation, is good because it stores energy for later use and cushions the organs against damage. Too much fat - like too much of anything - is bad. I view all fad diets like this: The best diet is to eat stuff in moderation and to exercise. Simple as that.

I was also biking 15-20 miles per day, and keeping up with traffic when I did so.)

I miss biking. When I was stationed in Germany a group of us would bike all of the time. On the weekends we would bike from town to town, stopping to see historicl sights, graveyards and a pub. It was quite a good time and we could cover a lot of ground in a weekend. I even biked in cometitive races. I was not competitive in the race, but that is another story. I quickly discovered 1/2 of successful racing is equipment.