Tactics

Reaper

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to distract my opponents during play. I offer attractive targets to get the enemy to move into a postion I want them or to hold the position I want them. Before the game, I determinded that I could enjoy an initiative advantage with Necros as the solos are both cheap and useful. So I took two banshees which are also wonderful as distractors and as opening volleys. My force had 6 cards in the draw deck to 3 or 4 for most opponents in the tourney. Another key is not to get caught up in the action. Every activation is key and you have to force yourself to look for the activation that will hurt the opponent's plan or their damage potential the most.

Do you have any specific questions from our battle Frog Meister?

My general tactics hinge on two factors.

#1 is the Witch Queen. She's a very powerful mage, everyone knows I don't bring her without a couple of fireballs, and she doesn't even need to roll to kill most grunts with one. This generates factor #2:

#2: People facing me tend to spread their troops out, specifically to avoid getting fireballed. I usually deploy my grunts in units of two Isiri Warriors backed by a single Paintender, with two or three of these per Troop.

Formation looks sort of like this:

_____
   | E |
   |___|
_____ _____
| W | | W |
|___| |___|
   _____
   | P |
   |___|

These units then move up and base a single enemy grunt. If they're close-combat wimps, I'll base two of them and try to kill both. If they're moderately annoying, like Crusaders, I'll gang up so I get two attacks at +3 each. Toss in a Scare from the Queen if they're hitting something big. If it's Tough-Reven-Tough, I'll have one attack and the other prepare to Coup. Alternatively I might use an arrangement like this:

_____ _____
| W | | E |
|___| |___|
   _____ _____
   | P | |   |
   |___| |__W|

So that one Warrior can attack at +4 and the Paintender at +5, and one Warrior is left to Coup. If it's just high-defence and no or negligible Tough I might have all three attack (so that's two +4's and a +5).

(Edit: Math errors. PIMF.)

Frog Meister, here is the table on which we played:

post-18-1110121325.jpg

It's a little far off but you can see that it's a castle with lots of low walls scattered about. What I tried to do to you was to meet you where I wanted, shoot with my archers and flank with my Banshees as well as to hit a small part of your force with Judas, Nivar and Gauntfield. I sent forth about a half dozen skellies to take positions which would draw you into the middle. I set them suh that you couldn't really shoot them and hoped you'd move in to engage them. YOu did and that was about where I wanted the battle to take place. I fired my archers on yours hoping to outshoot you or at least hold my own until I could hit your archers with a banshee blast. You got a couple of hits on Judas so he retreated and left it up to his grunts and elites. We met in the middle and well within range of my archers. My skellies got the best of the missle exchange and a banshee took out your wizard as my troops sought advantage of numbers in the melee in the middle. My 6 cards in the draw deck proved decisive when the crucial turn started as I was able to lead off with the unit with 4 breakers, 4 skellies, Gauntfield and Nivar and a skulking Judas and I seem to remember getting a lot of knock dwons. Then my smaller unit was able to move in and CDG. YOu suffered some bad luck as oyu had 4 archers laying down and none stood up to warcry. Sorry if my memory is fuzzy as that was the first day I ever actually played Warlord but I'm pretty sure I have it close. When the final turn began, you had three guys running around feeling "all alone" and I still had aobut 75% of my force albeit with a wounded Judas. I think I brought him out for the mop-up phase of the battle. Not sure aobut that. That battle was the only one in which he took damage that day.

I'm fond of "If you can't beat 'em in the game, beat 'em in the parking lot"

Heh.. actually, I like the "Never start a landwar in asia" approach lately in which I take hoards of cheap troops. I don't care how tough you might be, with 8-10 skellies hanging on yer shoulders, you are going to get dragged kicking to the ground.

Of course, it's all fun and games untill someone casts a blast radius type spell on you.

My favorite tactic is flexibility. If possible, take leaders with tactician and form lots of small units instead of a few big ones. Most sgts. only req. 3 grunts! Basically it means you get LOTS of cards and get to determine how the game turn works. When you control the game turn, you control the game!

At least in my opinion.

My 1000 point force for Necros runs with 6 cards in the draw deck and one big unit with some heavy hitters so that when it is my turn to go, I go decisively. Having all 4 man units will not allow for this and I don't think you'll be able to get much more than 6 or 8 cards in the draw deck anyway. Maybe with 4 athanks, two Azarphans and 6 Banshees you could get 12, but your attacks individually would not amount to much and your banshees would not have near enough places ot hide from archers.

Funny, I had better results with 3 troops of 10 men each and 2 solos at 1500 pts than I did with 8 troops of 4 men each and the same 2 solos. For my money, ranged units should be small and numerous so you have more chances to use them, but melee units should be massive so they pack a bigger punch. Your Mileage May Vary.

Here's my $0.02; don't show up to a scissor fight with paper, don't show up to a paper fight with a rock, and don't show your scissor self if you know the rocks are going down.

Forces without combinations of troop types are relatively easy to contain and overwhelm. If you have archers but no mages your enemy can form tight ranks to thwart you. If you have mages but no archers they can just spread out. If you don't have enough melee to support them either archers or mages can get torn apart by flyers or fast cavalry-type models.

If you have archers, mages, and melee your enemy is forced to decide whether they want to form tight and suffer the mages or spread out and get sniped by archers. Heck, if your faction has a cheap mage take it and a few ice shards just to keep'em sweating (and to have a few extra models on the table).

Here's my $0.02; don't show up to a scissor fight with paper, don't show up to a paper fight with a rock, and don't show your scissor self if you know the rocks are going down.

Forces without combinations of troop types are relatively easy to contain and overwhelm. If you have archers but no mages your enemy can form tight ranks to thwart you. If you have mages but no archers they can just spread out. If you don't have enough melee to support them either archers or mages can get torn apart by flyers or fast cavalry-type models.

If you have archers, mages, and melee your enemy is forced to decide whether they want to form tight and suffer the mages or spread out and get sniped by archers. Heck, if your faction has a cheap mage take it and a few ice shards just to keep'em sweating (and to have a few extra models on the table).

Good point! :poke:

Any more?

What you're asking and what you're getting is actually a lot more than mere tactics. Army design and planning are a big part of the overall game playing. Design your force and plan the relative deployment and movement of your units. ten factor in what your opponent is likely to do in response. Then at gametime, look over the table and apply your plan. Keep your plan in mind and remember why you planned the way you did, but adapt to the enemy's deployment and then modify your plan if necessary. Try to figure out his plan. Try to anticipate his moves. It's a good idea ot design forces for lists that you do not play to understand their strengths and weaknesses and to get an idea for their plans. Always keep in mind that once the dice start flying, your plan may turn out ot be less than ideal and may need revision or scrapping. Learn from the past, plan for the future and live in the moment.