Question: scrye shot

Reaper

The model sacrifices its non-combat action to ignore any LoS obstructions on a single attack when conducting a ranged combat action.

__________A

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

__________B

If A has Scrye Shot SA, he sacrifices its movement and shoot B.

There is a high wall (represented by XXXXX) between A and B, so A and B cant see each other but A can still shoot at B.

Do I play this wrong?

I think its so weird, because its like a homing missile in modern warefare. :huh:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're exactly correct -- scrye shots are generally "homing missiles". The characters with scrye shot -- The Dwarven Warlord, the Necropolis Mage (Naomi?) seem to have winged critters on their models. It's been suggested that scrye shot is a flying animal attack.

Insert obligatory "Fly my pretties, fly", here. ::):

(edit) -- I'd like to buy an "e", pat. Sheesh.

I think you're exactly correct -- scry shots are generally "homing missiles".  The characters with scry shot -- The Dwarven Warlord, the Necropolis Mage (Naomi?) seem to have winged critters on their models.  It's been suggested that scry shot is a flying animal attack.

Insert obligatory "Fly my pretties, fly", here.  ::):

It make more sense! :lol:

Since I dont have any model with Scrye Shot, I think it was an arrow attack. ::P:

Line of sight goes from "any point on a model's base", not just the front arc.

On a related note, though, Defensive Magic/Shot/Strike is restricted to models in the front arc as per the individual sections describing them.

If Dwarf King is in a dungeon and wants to shoot at someone who is 29" away if he cuts through walls but well over 30" if you snake it through the walls, can he still hit the target? Is it a homing missile or a phase arrow or both?

It seems to be valued at about 150 as Naiomi is 208 and most wizards of similar stats are about 50 and the Dwarf King is 150 more than other warlords. Rough estimate.

The Merc elf seems a bit of a bargain with scrye shot when you break it down.

"Is it a homing missile or a phase arrow or both?"

The rules don't address this in the slightest. But I'd rule it as a "homing missile". Idea being that his hawk flies out, attacks, and returns. If the objective is unaccessible (ie, inside a sealed building) then the bird couldn't reach, and if had to fly too far (ie, around corners of a dungeon) then it wouldn't be able to return in one round/the king wouldn't be able to properly control it... Just my take.

"The Merc elf seems a bit of a bargain with scrye shot when you break it down."

And the Dwarf King seems like a total rip off. He's an incredible melee fighter and every turn he spends "scrye shotting" is a turn he's wasting half of his point value... Scrye Shot is obviously a potent ability, but it doesn't seem to be properly pointed at this time.

Is it a homing missile or a phase arrow or both?

The rules don't specify the nature of the shot, and I hope they never do. Knowing the "official" nature of the shot only means you have to consider every possible situation, and make the fluff consistent with every one of them. Makes for either a bazillion situational rules, or makes it harder to "suspend disbelief". Why limit yourself to somebody else's imagination, when it doesn't actually enhance the game?

As it stands, go with what works for you in the situation you are in - what makes perfect sence to you might sound bogus to someone else, so don't try to convince them.

My dwarf king varies. Sometimes it's an off-table ballista shot his hawk marks. Sometimes it's a stone elemental that emerges to take a swing. Sometimes it's a Mondo Hammer of Seeking. Mostly, I just don't care.