House Rules: attack & damage rolls

I know that a lot of people probably like the single roll for both attack and damage thing that Warlord has, but I'm one of those that prefers to roll for attack and damage seperately. I just think it's more "realistic" to see if an attack hits, then see if it does enough damage to cause a wound. Merging the two together into one roll just doesn't seem right. Now, Warlord is an amazing game and for the most part the rules are perfect, but, has anyone come up with a way to add damage rolls to the game?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could roll a single die to see if you hit, the target modified byyour hittyness and the opponent's avoidyness, then roll a second die to see if you cause any damage, the target modified by your hurtyness and the opponent's buffiness, and the opponent could roll a single die based on his noble leetness to see if he really deserved to take that wound or if he gets to laugh at you.

Failing that, you could stat out all the Warlord models as though they were CAV v1 models, and use the TL roll as a roll to hit and then the shot as a roll to wound. This is unhelpful, I know, and probably needlessly sarcastic. For this I apologize.

There is no way I can think of to introduce a damage roll, without breaking the point system, since points are calculated based on the current single roll method. This makes the game go a lot faster, and also makes it easier to learn and teach. Give it a few more whirls before you decide you want a damage roll mechanic. Between the single roll, the perfect 10, and the defensive strikes, it's one of the fastest paced games with lots of carnage.

This is primarily a difference between role-playing games an miniature warfare games. Even D&D was based on Chainmail that used a wound/kill system (2 hits) for an average man. After leveling up - you fought as a "man+1" (3 hits) - then as "2 men" (four hits) etc.

With the old miniature wargames (civil war/nepolionics/etc.) you may be fielding 100-200 minis on a side. If i mini took a hit, put a wound counter under it. Gets hit again? take it out. It averages out in the long run with that many minis.

Warlord leans more toward the old wargame type rules for fast play and I don't want to slow it down with having to keep track of hit points on grunts.

With the old miniature wargames (civil war/nepolionics/etc.) you may be fielding 100-200 minis on a side. If i mini took a hit, put a wound counter under it. Gets hit again? take it out.

Ahhh, yes, the old "red to dead". I remember it fondly. ::):

TO HIT: Attacker's MAV + d10 >= Defender's DV (standard stuff).

TO WOUND: Defender's DV + d10 + Tough/# >= Attacker's MAV + d10 result.

TO KILL OUT-RIGHT (makes the game go faster you know): Attacker's MAV + d10 >= Defender's DV x2

-OR-

use a d20 and a d6 and if the attacker rolls twice the target's DV, you hit and wound.

Personally I think it's already factored in. Models with two-handed weapons, for instance, tend to have a higher MAV to represent not only their skill in wielding the blade, but to represent the fact that they are hitting harder.

I think the easiest way to represent a "roll-off" is for both attacker and defender rolling a d10 and adding either their AV or DV. The highest wins.