Sorcerer spell phrases

Indrid

Hi All,

I have been chosen to take over the spell casting role in my campaign since our only spellcaster left us :(

anyway, i am pretty new to playing spell casters and i was wondering if anyone new of or has a list of phrases they use when casting spells.

does anything like that exist or am i stuck trying to do the same ole Latan thang that the last person used?

thanks in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actual words work best for priests, i would go with various unpronouncable words of power if I am going to actual RP the casting with a very fast series of gesture for the somatic components. If you find the other players laughting at these sort of things, just stop. Some groups find this sort of thing fun, some find it odd, others rediculous and in other groups bystanders might think you are a satan worshipper. [ most normal pagans rarely do that sort of thing]

Phrases in foreign languages work for me. Latin is always good, although I have one character who is Egyptian based and have worked out some phrases in Egyptian for her.

The best ones (to me) for mystical phrases are:

Latin

Egyptian

Greek

Japanese

Gaelic/Welsh

I use Latin or Latin-sounding words --- mostly for command words of magic items I hand out, as DM, or create, as a character...

"Incendiare" for fireball

"Arcanum Nostrum" for darkness

"Aqueum" for the Decanter of Endless Water

There's a series of books called "The Lord of the Isles" that uses ancient Babylonian or somesuch and it sounds cool... might want to check that as well.

"Lorem Ipsum Sum"

And

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Are always options... :D

+5 Brownie points to anyone who knows the origins of the above phrases.

-Daniel

Generic filler text used by typesetters

and

The day the earth stood still?

+5 Brownie points to anyone who knows the origins of the above phrases.

-Daniel

Army of Darkness??!!

:::COUGH:::

::HACK:::

The Charm of Making is a good one fer sure, as is the Mordor speech that Gandalf utters when he relates the runes on the Ring of Power.

Wizard lingo is fairly easy to come up with without much fuss I find, it's the priestly ones that kill me.  Muttering a bunch of latin or something is entirley different than trying to come up with a prayer of power.

Concerning Clerics:

When I play priests, I cast spells as if they WERE prayers.  That's why I like Forgotten realms, usually alot of detail on your church and gods.  Imagine you're tapping into a weave or power and just pray for a perticular event you want to happen.  

This usually works best for turning/rebuking undead.  Give a little speach since it's your charisma you're using here.  With a strong, commanding voice, display your holy symbol, and strike fear into them.  

Fear the lord of **** and go back into your graves.

May grace of *** stike you down and give you eternal rest.  

Let the world of the living trouble you no more.

Forgive me, but I'm not a writer here, nor do I play wizards.  Just giving ideas....

PS.  If you ever read Ah My Goddess the manga, they give pretty impressive prayers (depending on the translations).  But I've always been a fan of the OVA's.