Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Painting bone

Just curious anyone have any good tips for really great lookin or in this case ancient old bones??

Been thinkin of getting Kaladrax the lichdragon & was curious on bone techniques, as I've never been able to get decent bones (white bones yes, bones been out in the sun or aged no)

thanks

Randy M

Bones out in the sun turn white. Look at bones from a desert sometime.

New bones, or bones buried in the earth with have a slight orange tinge, or be a lil brownish. Real fresh bones will be pinkish from clinging tissue and blood supply.

-Daniel

Actually, it depends on how the bones were treated before they were buried. Yes, bones out in a desert sun might have the bleached white, but if the corpse was mummified, then they'll be very dark brown to almost black, and quite glossy.

Also, it depends on the color and type of soil the body is buried in. I'd imagine you can use any soil color for, so long as you do a proper "dirty wash" effect.

This might seem really sick, but look at some pictures from a book on forensics or something like that sometime for ideas.

Thanks guys, may have to test out that techniq on a GW skeley.

Also yah I knew about the colors that bones go through (bleached bones, fresh bones etc etc) &  I guess I should have said plain bone color as in GW bone white type color, never could shade it right, eithe too yellow or too brown

thanks

Randy M

I just did a set of 8 Skeletons for the hubby for Xmas.

I primed white. washed with wood shading ink.

Then I went through several coats of light colors starting with buckskin, up the line thorough white leather, ivory, and dragon white.  Line them up in color order.

I did eight coats blended some of thewhites together to make the layers look better.  I gave it a second wood ink wash halfway through.

It went very quick, one evening's painting.

And gave me the confidence to tackle Kaladrax.  He looked so intimidating once assembled and then was such fun to paint.

I'll get pictures up soon, when we get home from vacation.

cbs

I usually paint the mini bleached bone, then apply a wash of brown, green and black, to make it look really rotten. Then drybrush the whole thing bleached bone and the high parts white. See the example:

div_catlion_skeletaldogs_b.jpg

THose dawgs look good. They look rotted. I tend to think a lot of browner tones looks like it was buried in dry climate, and the black OTOH looks like a wetter climate, rich black soil or peat. I think bones tend to bleach to greyish dirty white if not buried and left in the suna long time.

Love those skelie dogs Catlion!  I just assembled mine last night and will try to mimik your look for them.  Odd that such a tiny mini would come in two parts though... can't figure out why they did that for the life of me.

Awesome job on the skeledogs!! Really has that rotted evil look to them.

They are WOTC's CHainmail skeleton dogs (2 per pack)  cheap if you have the right game store

Randy M

They could have easily been moulded as a complete fig (they are small & "flat" enough that packaging wouldn't have been a concern.)  For some reason though, they split the figure into two halfs, down the length of the mini.

Easy enough to assemble, but a bit of an irritation to be sure.

I think it's alright that they did two parts, since they look more 3d this way. The can be further apart. And the parts fit together well, it's not like that %&$§ displacer beast. The two dogs are the same sculpt, though, but you can bend the head and the tail in other directions as I did on mine so that they look different.

Oh by the way, being a non-native speaker,  I thought that "rotten" would be the correct past participle of "rot". Or is this a British English / American English difference?