Rule discussion: "Warlord Required"

abngi

Many people have voiced a dislike for the "warlord required for 1001+ point games" rule. I am one of them, but only because I don't like to field uber-characters.

Rather than change the requirement rule, there are a couple options that would remove my dissatisfaction. I'll add them in subsequent posts for ease of quoting and discussion.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Introduce lower-powered (and lower-priced) Warlords in the faction books.

Pros: new models, more flexibility, removes the similarity of same-faction armies.

Cons: would be over a year away for some factions.

2. Add an equipment upgrade such as Writ of Command. This equipment changes an equipped model's type from Captain to Warlord.

Pros: easy to implement with a post to WarlordHQ. Good interim measure until we have more Warlords available. Requires no rulebook changes.

Cons: can't think of any.

4. Add an official scenario called "border skirmish" which raises the Warlord-required threshold.

Pros: Easy to implement with a post to WarlordHQ. Requires no rulebook changes.

Cons: Change wouldn't stack with other scenarios when used.

5. Add some Generic Warlords (like the Beta ones, i.e. "Tank Warlord" "Melee Warlord" etc) with the SA: Aligned. This SA changes the model's Affiliation to match the player's declared faction.

Pros: easy to implement with a post to WarlordHQ. Good interim measure until we have more Warlords available. Requires no rulebook changes. Can be released one at a time, as quickly as they are balanced and playtested.

Cons: can't think of any.

(quite the post count boost there... :ph34r: )

Right now it's limiting, as there is only one warlord for each faction. Now, granted I haven't memorized every faction's warlord yet, but I can't see, Mercs, Revan, Necropolis, or Overlords being too upset about this, as their warlords are quite good. I can see with Dwarf players would be quite upset though, having the most expensive warlord because of the long range scry shot..... :down:

Pros: new models, more flexibility, removes the similarity of same-faction armies.

With the hints that I've seen dropped here and there, this seems the most likely to happen.

It might not take a full year. Reaper could produce a cheaper Warlord for each faction and release them well before the faction splatbook. As long as people know that Amun Ra-tanem is a Nefosokar warlord, instead of a captain or sergeant, then there should be no problem.

Just sculpt and stick in a stat card, DONE!

Just like Warmachine and their new No Quarter mag which may introduce some new units and figs.

Some people were saying "Waah, it's turning into white dwarf, we won't be able to use these figs unless we happen to have that issue...."

"Uhm, NO. Warmachine figs will always come with stat cards. You may not have that issue, but your will have the stats, rules and cards needed to play."

I definately like the ideas of #5 no matter what else is done. I'm not a fan of GW games, but part of the appeal of them is that you can create your own leaders and assign generic stats to them. People want to play "their" unique force.

It seems a shame to not allow this to be done, especially when such an open and generic set of stat customization exists already within the game.

All you need is special abilities

SA: Warlord

SA: Captain

SA: Sgt

SA: Aligned

Anyway, that's the last rant I'm going to have on the subject. I think doing anything else is short sighted and will honestly lead (and has lead)to reduced sales of 'Warlord'. I don't know how popular the game is, but I do know it would be more popular if this option was given, as I've talked to tons of people who like the look of the system, but are so turned off by the 'named character' army build limits they arn't buying it or giving it a try.

just a small INQUISITION

if you were to give SA's to a model to upgrade him you obviously pay for this SA

Am I paying in points or cash?

what else am i getting for my points???

could a troop pay money from a campaign to buy this SA???

could a trooper move through the ranks or is a campaign a static event with things only happening between wars???

just looking for more well developed ideas if i'm going to back one of these options

>Donaghey<

Stormy strikes again! :lol:

That's a good one. A possible fix while awaiting the faction books would be to combine Stormy's idea with this caveat: The figure you use for your warlord must be able to have an elite under him. That way he must be of a certain stature and yet, each faction has someone ot fit this standard.

As for the "Warlord Required" rule, I can see that some people do not want to field the King. Any chance we could get a points value for fielding him without the Scrye Shot and ranged attack? That may make people a bit happier but it would have to be clear that it is not something to clamour for in other models. Thorgarm simply has the ability to take the field without his magical hawk of Scrye shootiness, or something like that.