Can skills stack?

MoonFever

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem to me that if the writers did not want them to stack, then they would have only listed Beast in the Rager profile as that has the additional effect of preventing item use but allows for the same charge bonus and would make Bloodlust (2) redundant. Since they are both listed, I assume they stack.

There is a character in the Darkspawn list with both Rogue and Assassin. Is that a necessary redundancy due to forward compatibility or merely a hold over from the previous version?

This actually affected my game last night, as I would have been able to charge into base with my first action, instead of doing it my second, and then not being able to attack.

My opponent, Elementswarden, thoughtfully pointed out that they specifically state that magic items aren't allowed to stack, so why should skills stack. It is a very logical explanation, as the magical item rule sets the precedent, and there is nothing that counters it in regards to skills.....

" ...they specifically state that magic items aren't allowed to stack, so why should skills stack."

That's one way to look at it. Do the rules start from nothing and tell you everything that is allowed or do they build up a basic structure and then tell you about restrictions? Is the assumption that people will add/stack bonuses unless directed not to or that they will not unless told that they are permitted? It seems to me that it is the former. I think one could argue that since the rules talk about Magic Items and not stacking, yet remain silent on skills and stacking or not stacking, that there is no limit on skills stacking otherwise the rules would tell us about such limitations.

Tru dat! When you look at the nearly alphabetical skill list, you see that many skills list others with which they cannot stack and the implication is clear that unless stated otherwise, skills may be stacked/combined. :wub: Lord Baasen r teh smart for this example that will allow Ranz to stop thinking and to get back to work! :wub:

I think the big difference here is that you get to choose spells. You cannot choose skills. Skills for members of a faction have already been chosen and included in the point cost for the figure so if there is a some combination of skills that both add to the movement of the model, then I think both should apply. I don't see anybody that has both bloodlust and runner in the lists and only the one instance of beast and bloodlust together. My opinion is that they stack and the Rager can use both skills, they are included in his points.

Unfortunately this is an example of there seemingly NOT being a "clearly defined statement" to guide players properly.

Just because some SA's say something can be done, does NOT mean that a similar ruling applies to other examples.

What's that saying about the word ASSUME? Arse-U-Me... To assume makes and Arse out of U and ME.

The "lack of clarity" has bothered many of the players I know enough to disenchant them from the game.

"Common Sense" tells me they CAN be stacked, BUT as we all know, common sense is not as common as we think.

There is a character in the Darkspawn list with both Rogue and Assassin. Is that a necessary redundancy due to forward compatibility or merely a hold over from the previous version?

Actually, Rogue and Assassin are two seperate abilities. Rogues just benefit from the Assassin ability in addition to the Rogue ability, which gives you bonuses when doing stunts (check the rules for stunts for more info).

Some things may be redundant *now* to allow for forward compatibility. For example:

A model might have both Assassin and Rogue (even though in this case Assassin in redundant) so when the Cloak of Shadows is released (an item that can only be equipped by models with the SA: Assassin) the character qualifies.

A model can have both Beast and Bloodlust/2, instead of just Bloodlust/4, because they want part of the bonus move to be straight-line, or because they want to restrict equipment (Beast) while also gaining more than just the +2" that Beast gains you on the charge.

As for if they stack or not, what says they don't? For example SA: Alpha and SA: Bravo give you similar benefits. Nothing specifically says "they can't combine" (like Marksman, Critical Shot, and Scry Shot all do). Nothing says abilities don't stack in general (like Equipment does). I think the above sets a clear precedent. Why make an assumption?

Even though I don't have a diagram to illustrate my point this time, I am firmly in the "Abilities stack unless they say they can't" camp.

Actually Moonfever you did not lose the last game due to the skills not stacking. I stopped at the point where you could not charge me. If we had decide that they could have stacked I would have been 2more inches back and have the mage move more left. I did not need to though I had the movement. I planned to be there according to the predetermined rules. I got to go before there charge and set myself up accordingly. Then my Ogre Mage Layed the smack down. The Ragers like smack ::o: but be careful ... it's addictive!

According to the arguments posted on this thread I would agree that they stack but, it would be nice to hear it officially...

Whether or not it impacted the final result of our game is moot, at this point. An official answer would definitely put this discussion to rest, and either way, I have to plan my strategies accordingly, as it significantly impacts how my force works (being gimmicky and all...).

Though I do feel the fact that certain skills specifically state that they do NOT stack alludes to the fact that other skills can.