Hexagon overlay for Photoshop

Morgramen

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to create a hexagonal overlay for Photoshop? I have my homebrew map scanned in and all digital-ized, but would like to overlay a transpearancy of a hex field over the entire thing (preferably one with numbered hexes, and one unumbered) as a layer.

I thought about trying to import the map into CC2, add the hexes, then try to send it back to PS, but the use of that program still frightens me after more than 5 years. Anyone have any idea how I might do this? :huh:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators

I have something like what you need. Grab this image:

hextile.gif

Define it as a pattern in photoshop (in 7, select all, copy, Edit > Define Pattern) then fill it into a layer over whatever graphic you like. You may want to darken the source file a bit first. In any case, season to taste.

Enjoy!

kit

I made a square overlay for PS7 a week or so ago for mapping our Warlord terrain for campaign. The HirstArts website has some printable hex-maps and graph papers under their "plans" section you can DL as PDF.

What I did was open it in PS, make the white areas transparent and leave the actual grid so that I could make it any colour I needed to contrast with different maps by using the "flood-fill" paintbucket tool.

OOO! Could I have a copy of that file? ::D: That could come in uber handy for dungeon mapping! That is essentially what I am trying to do with the hex field as well. Trying to make the white background transparent, and then do the pattern trick like what Kit mentions (I scaled my pattern by 50% for the "World Map").

Is there an easy way to make the white area transparent though? I"m having a heck of a time trying to figure this out! (Should have read the manual I guess....) :poke:

Sorry if I wasn't clear RB. I grabbed Kit's tile without difficulty, but I've spent the last 13 + something hours trying to figure out how to make the white space on that tile transparent, so that when I apply the fill layer, the map shows through and I have a nice, sharp, crips hexagonal overlay. (I'm trying to go for the old " 1E Greyhawk World" look.)

I managed to get the white space transparent (though the hex lines end up coming out quick "pixalated/un-crisp" when I try to darken them), but everytime I try to insert it as a pattern fill layer, the white space is opaque, and my map gets covered over - all I'm left with is an equal sized white image full of hexagons!

GAAAAA!

AHHHH!

:::BANGS HEAD AGAINST WALL:::

:wacko:

Help please. :blush:

• Super Administrators
Sorry if I wasn't clear RB. I grabbed Kit's tile without difficulty, but I've spent the last 13 + something hours trying to figure out how to make the white space on that tile transparent, so that when I apply the fill layer, the map shows through and I have a nice, sharp, crips hexagonal overlay. (I'm trying to go for the old " 1E Greyhawk World" look.)

In photoshop, copy the area of the gif and define it as a pattern. It should just work. If it doesn't you can use the "multiply" blending mode to have the white go away.

kit

• Super Administrators

In my Photoshop 7, defining as pattern off the gif picked up only the lines because the white was defined as transparent, but your milage may vary.

kit

I'm running PS6, but maybe CS tools are similar.

Open the gif file above. In the top menu bar go to Image > Properties and switch properties to RBG Color. Now you should be able to mess around with the image.

Open the image's Layers palette (if not already open, click in the menu bar Windows > Show Layers Palette.

Make a duplicate layer. Now hide the original by clicking the little eye icon to the left of the layer in the Layers palette. This will make it easier to see if you successfully make the white parts transparent later on.

Next, in the top menu go to Select > Color Range and pick a white spot on the image. Move the slider tool in the Color Range window to the left until you see your hexagon image is clearly defined. Click OK and then in the menu bar go to Edit > Cut. Everything but the hexagon pattern should vanish. Mind you it's fairly pale grey so you may need to darken what's left by going into the Layers palette, picking the top layer (the one you just cut out), and right-click the layer to open up the Layer Style window. Pick the Color Overlay option to make the pattern dark or black. If the lines seem too thin, in the Layer Style window try adding a Stroke. You can make the stroke the same colour as the Color Overlay to make the design more bright or bold.

I hope that helps.

Oh...Once you have your clear pattern, save it as a Photoshop doc so you can drag it right over any map that needs a grid.

Oh..and if you want, tomorrow afternoon I'll take a look at how compatable PS6 and CS are. I miiight be able to just send you my pattern file and save you some work.