Hexagon overlay for Photoshop

Morgramen

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had no luck with installing/moving around individual pattern files, and am getting the feeling it'd be far less complicated if I just give the image I used to define my pattern and let you take it from there.

Here's the link to my basic hex tile image > http://a.imageshack.us/img571/3724/hex.gif

Download it, open it in Photoshop, and in the menu bar choose Edit > Define Pattern. Name it something like hexagons or hexgrid.

Then when you have a picture or part of a picture (a single layer within a PS project), open the Layer Style palette (I believe you can still right-click in the Layer palette on the layer you want to work on and get it to appear) and apply your pattern. To make the white part clear, while you are still in the Pattern tab of the Layer Style palette, set the pattern blending mode to Multiply. The white will vanish and you will be able to see your original layer design through the pattern overlay.

I am guessing for the project above, the artist started by applying a basic pattern to a certain layer within the project, then perhaps messed around with blending modes, Color-Replace and maybe even used Layer Masks to make the basic pattern appear different colours or Inverting the layer to get that white-on-black look.

There's some great tutorials out there, but you can learn a good bit just by experimenting and taking notes as you go so you will remember what you did to get different effects.

Good luck with it.

I've had no luck with installing/moving around individual pattern files, and am getting the feeling it'd be far less complicated if I just give the image I used to define my pattern and let you take it from there.

Here's the link to my basic hex tile image > http://a.imageshack.us/img571/3724/hex.gif

Download it, open it in Photoshop, and in the menu bar choose Edit > Define Pattern. Name it something like hexagons or hexgrid.

Then when you have a picture or part of a picture (a single layer within a PS project), open the Layer Style palette (I believe you can still right-click in the Layer palette on the layer you want to work on and get it to appear) and apply your pattern. To make the white part clear, while you are still in the Pattern tab of the Layer Style palette, set the pattern blending mode to Multiply. The white will vanish and you will be able to see your original layer design through the pattern overlay.

I am guessing for the project above, the artist started by applying a basic pattern to a certain layer within the project, then perhaps messed around with blending modes, Color-Replace and maybe even used Layer Masks to make the basic pattern appear different colours or Inverting the layer to get that white-on-black look.

There's some great tutorials out there, but you can learn a good bit just by experimenting and taking notes as you go so you will remember what you did to get different effects.

Good luck with it.

Thanks man i was messing around with your method when i found a simple method on how you do it.All you do is open the layer's properties and click pattern overlay and pick a pattern and then you just decrease the opacity.Simple as that.Anyways thanks again because without i would never had ran into how to do it