Thought you've seen it all?

Durak

What Percentage of RPG players in YOUR Group are Female?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Percentage of RPG players in YOUR Group are Female?

• 0% There are No Female Gamers in My group
    • 1-20% 1 in 5 of My Group is Female
    • 21-40% 2 out of 5
    • 41-60% 3 out of 5
    • 61-80% 4 out of 5
    • 91-99% Not quite all of the group , but more than 4 out of 5
    • 100% We are all females.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as female gamers go, they used to be almost non-existent, but their numbers are growing. I know quite a few. The local Hobbytown's RPG/miniature section is run by a woman. The people who did the stats for that review must have been morons.

I don't think the book is necessary, but it may bring more people into the hobby. I know if I had been able to play with just one $20 book when I started, I would have jumped at it.

Our gaming group a few years ago calved off into 2 groups when one player moved to Delaware for work. He formed his own group, which shared (for a time) the main group's resources, setting, personalities, etc. They come up once or twice a year for a games day...and the last one we actually played with a female! It was a revelation for us...

Damon, who doesn't know of any female gamer in his area...

Teehee.. so I don't exist huh? That would explain why it is that every time I get into a game, the group dissolves away before I reach 6th level.

I used to be the lone-babe in our RPGs, but now I have Kellinator in our Warlord club, so I count her in. Also, in the two active online games I play, one has four female players out of ... er..twelve? (I'm not sure just how many are in Legends of Taltos at the moment), and the other (Darakan Chronicles) has three ladies.

As for a need for the "for dummies" book.. yes there's a need. *hangs head in shame*

Hello my name is Spike and I am a recovering D&D-playing-dummy.

I stink at filling in stats on character sheets. The math isn't so complicated, but I had to read and re-read in quite a few places in the Player Handbook before I sorted out just which numbers go where and how those numbers are generated. I think I've got it, but I still feel like an idiot. Just ask Frosch or Stern, both of whom I am thankful to for helping me survive the genesis of my most recent PC.

been at D&D for over 22 years, when i was 9 (minis came along about a couple years after that, age 11), but I can see where this book could come in handy for someone, espically if the DM or a player isn't there to teach a player the rules. Besides it is nice to ocassionally have a player not know the stats on skeletons ::D:, but with 3's monster upgrade stuff, you never know what you might be fighting.....ah come on guys it's only a kobold...says the 4th level barbarian before he get's his rump busted by a 10th level kobold ha ha

Randy M

I guess im one of the few strange D&D gamers here. i started 2 years ago playing 3.0. then a friend @ work asked me to join his game but he played 2nd Ed. and in just 2 short months i found that i like 2nd WAY better than 3.0 or 3.5. in the new games a char seems to get just too powerfull way too quickly. and the fact that you can learn how to do so many things in just one level up seems cheesy. i like the fact that my char "knows" very few things compared to what a char can "know" in 3.0. granted Thaco is kind of a pain but im willing to deal with that for a better gaming experience. now im a 2nd ed DM in training. my teacher is a DM with like 15 yrs exp in 2nd ed playing. when playing i dont use the MM as a set in stone resource. i like to play with the #'s making some monsters a little harder or weaker just to mix it up. your 1st and 2nd level chars can only fight kobolds for so long ::D:

1) The results they came up with as a class were very interesting. Ads were mainly targetted towards women because they spend the most money for items in the home, and make up a majority of those people who stay home to take care of the kids. The ads that were targetted towards men, were harder to find, and focused on gym equipment, home improvement, and money management/investing.

2) How many ads feature minorities? I've seen several that feature African-Americans, but very few that feature anyone of any other group.

3) Whatever you do, don't watch Soap Operas. They will eat your brain and the ads that they play during those time blocks are so overly focused on women it's pathetic.

4) I do have to commend Home Depot though. Recently they started having advertisements focusing on women doing home improvement and they started having home improvement classes at their stores focusing on women.

5) It would be nice to see some commercials showing men feeding a baby from a bottle of formula or taking their kids to school in a tire advertisement. Give it some time.

6) I think part of the issue is the world of advertising is still highly male dominated.

Gone for a few days, so please forgive the thread necromancy. . .

1) Yeah, they will gear toward the primary shopper - except for cars. There, even though men and women are (theoretically) equal partners in the purchase, more and more car companies are gearing ads toward women, such as the "Moms have changed. Shouldn't a minivan?" When I need a vehicle larger than my current car, I won't be buying that minivan, however.

2) Good point. I guess not every group makes enough noise to get featured in ads. I suspect that that, too, will change in time.

3) Yeah, I've told people that if they ever catch me tuning in to watch a soap opera or Oprah, they can have me committed. I have too many other things during the day to sit down in front of the TV, and when the kid(s) are all in school, I plan to keep that time filled by doing volunteer work and running my own home-based business.

4) I actually have a problem with the Do-It-Herself workshops. I have the same problem with any program which is specifically geared toward one gender (without obvious, biologicaly based need - a class for new mothers is, by necessity, going to have to cover topics that a class for new fathers need not address). My local YMCA has several classs that I would like to take, but cannot, simply because I have a Y chromosome. There are a couple similar ones which are gender-neutral, which begs the question regarding the need for "women-only" versions of the class.

5) There are a few. Gerbers does some, and I think at least one of the diaper companies does as well. I can give it some time, but I can also send letters telling (for example) that, as the primary shopper in our household, this choosy dad isn't going to chose Jiff, because I feel that they do not want my business. It's not much, but it a couple hundred thousand stay-at-home dads all did it, companies would change. Quick.

6) I believe that advertisting is fairly close to a 50-50 ratio, but marketing, who decides how things are advertized, is still predominantly men. But, in theory, they should market to their target audience, whatever it happens to be, and they should also take some care not to alienate any potential buyers.

I was the only male player in my group of five (my wife and I and two other women under a male GM) until the GM and one of the wymyn swapped out to run a different Alternity game. The male GM has been running D&D for an almost militantly all-female group for years, but a guy has just joined them in recent weeks (I've only guest-starred there running NPCs).

I think it my group quit playing 3.0e/3.5e and switched back to 2.0e, I would quit and find another gaming group. There is NO WAY I would ever go back. Playing 2.0e was a chore; playing 3.0e a breeze, and I can create the characters I want (both pcs AND NPCs) and, best of all, I don't have to look at charts when gaming!!!

Damon.