Changing base size?

Okay, I'm gonna be showing some of the people at my club the Warlord game sometime soon, and thinking of using 20mm bases for (human-sized) figs to make it easier for the others to use models that are based for a certain other popular fantasy wargame (guess which one?). If I do change the base size, will any other rules need to be modified?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any real ramifications to the rules if you change the base size to show people how things work. The issue you will run into by changing the base size is the ability to get figures into base to base contact. If everything is a 20mm base you should be okay. If you have a mix of bases then the models on a 20mm base will be able to bring more figures contact against the model on a 25 mm (or larger base). If done correctly you could (in theory) get eight 20mm bases in contact with a 25mm base.

What you could do as a quick soloution is to cut out a bunch of 1" squares of cardboard and blu-tac or otherwise attach these to the existing 20mm base. You could get fancy with magnets and use 1" square metal bases with magnets in the bottom of the 20mm base to secure it. Just a thought ::D:

Biggest issue is probably AoE attacks. Smaller base sizes allow for tighter groupings which means greater effect for the Area of Effect. It's easy to tell how many _should_ be allowed on a base edge. (It's two...) Six can fully surround someone and eight can fully surround a Large base. That should cover it...

Rules wise, everything was valued up for how mony 25mm squares would be able to be in b2b contact with x base, how many could be in the AOE, etc. If you are not shrinking any other bases, then your 'Standard' vs Large, etc will be way overpowering, as you will be able to get 4+ more models into b2b contact than the game designers anticipated.

If, however, all bases are being reduced by 20% (40mm bases being put on 32mm, etc.) then as long as you reduce your AOEs by 20%, there would be no issue.

OTOH, you could decide that you preferred the standard base size smaller, and dang the consequences.

I recently got my copy of Warlord (finally!) and am about half way through the rules. The issue I have though, is half of my minis are on round bases! GAAK! So in order to make these "playable", I will have to remount them somehow, or else come up with some house rule to get around the B2B thingy?? Dang! I do like those round bases though!

On the other hand, from what I have read so far, the Warlord rules quick much butt, so perhaps I can get used to square bases again. ^_^

I am interested to see how the Super-size base (the CD variety) work for B2B. ROund is round after all, so perhaps I can finagle some angle for the smaller variety. (Haven't got that far in the rules yet though!) :blush:

when the rules say that a super base is the size of a cd do they mean i can glue some figs to a cd and play ith or am i to use a cd CASE (square of course couple cuts here and there)

it seemed strange then again you ARE fighting a mostly inanimate object (catapults and cannons with little to no movement)

then again what about the generic dragons you can't put a reaper dragon on a cd it is too big...

this is more of a dilemma now that i have typed it all out...

>donaghey<

I have a lot of old proxy figures mounted ont he 1 nch battle bases, and a bunch of skellies I just threw on 20mm plastic bases a while ago. The only effect I've see if that the 20mm bases fit better in my Dwarven Forge. Seriously though, I've seen no problems with game play when mixing the two.

My advice to those who have figures already based on round or 20mm bases: pick up some sticky tac (poster putty) or double-sided puffy tape, and a pack of 1" square plastic bases. It will only take you a couple of minutes tops at the beginning of a game to attach your minis to the 1" bases, and after you're done playing for the day, you can just pull them off.

This way, you don't have to go through the pain of rebasing all of your round based minis. Well, at least not right away... :B):