Need help w/ Easter

OK, I volunteered to cook main dish alternative to the lamb portion of Easter dinner. I am looking for ideas on a main dish and am running out of time. I also do not want to do ham, it is just too traditional. It is my policy to never use a dish I have cooked before when entertaining. I was and may still go with - see below (from Foodtv.com) but have not committed, have any suggestions for a tasty dish?

2 pounds fresh turkey sausage (about 8 links), cut in 1/2

1 medium red onion, quartered and separated

1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips

1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips

1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips

1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and halved

1 (14-ounce) can no-sugar-added diced tomatoes

3 cloves garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves, plus some for garnish

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

8 ounces button mushrooms

4 marinated hot cherry peppers, optional

Shaved Parmesan, for garnish

Equipment: oval gratin dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. (Don’t fully cook the sausage, as it will be finished in the oven.) Drain the fat from the skillet.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the mushrooms, cherry peppers, and Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes.

Combine the sausage, vegetable mixture, mushrooms, and cherry peppers in the gratin dish. Bake uncovered until well browned, about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with basil leaves and Parmesan.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call this dish "Death by Chicken" My father swears he could hear his ateries hardening as we ate, but we all went back for "just a little more." :devil:

One of my many successful experiments. (I'll refrain from posting any of the many failures :lol::lol: )

boneless skinless chicken breasts (or tenders) in an amount appropriate to expected needs

The below amounts were good for five adults and a 7year old:

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire for chicken (approx 1/4 of a 10 oz bottle)

1 cream of chicken soup

1 quart alfredo sauce (I prefer Olive Garden's, can be ordered to go as a dipping sauce, but Five Brother's is good, Ragu's will do)

a palm full of minced onions

about two "two finger scoops" of minced garlic

a few pinches of oregano

a few pinches of parsley flakes

1/2 cup grated parmesean

1/2 cup grated romano

1/2 cup grated asiago

Mix all of the above together, and coat the bottom of a baking/cassrole type dish/pan. Lay the chicken in and pour the remainder over the chicken until drowned........ uh ..... I mean covered. Now cut 1 stiick of REAL butter (salted or not, to preference) into pats and lay on the smothered chicken. Throw this all in the oven at about 300 and let it cook for a good while (I usually leave it alone for at least 2 and a half hours, sometimes four if I want it fall apart tender). Before pulling it out sprinkle heavily with more of the grated parmesean, romano, and asiago.

Serve with either rice or pasta, I prefer fresh fettucini.

(I still want to try making this in a slow cooker, but keep forgetting to do so when I go to make it :rolleyes: )

Another artery clogging piece of goodness from my own kitchen:

One jar ragu double cheddar sauce

One package turkey italian sausage

One large package of shredded cheddar cheese

Lots of grated parmesean

Broccoli/or vegetable of choice

Italian seasoning (You pick the amount.)

One pound pasta of choice (I use rotini, rigatoni, spiral or elbows.)

This dish is great for kids who are picky eaters or for those who want something different. I've substituted diced chicken before for the sausage and it still tastes great.

Cook the pasta to barely al dente. Drain.

Chop the Broccoli or vegetable of choice into small pieces.

Remove the skins from the sausage. Break the sausage apart into less than one inch pieces and cook till done. Drain off the fat.

In a bowl, mix together the pasta, sausage, half the shredded cheddar, brocolli, 1/4 cup paremsean, cheese sauce, and the italian seasoning. Spread into a casserole dish. Top with the rest of the cheddar and another 1/4 cup parmesean. Bake at 350 farenheit in the oven till cheese on top is somewhat browned.

You know what would be a great thing. There are so many cool recipies posted up here on the board. It'd be cool if some brave soul with a lot of free time (which means I'm out - barely time to paint my army) could collect them together.

Could call the collection: "Recipes from the Crucible" ::D:

Here is something I made recently and it turned out real good.

Rosemary Garlic Pork

Ingredients:

pork roast/tenderloin (your choice, though I prefer the tendrloin)

couple of tb of Rosemary

a lot of Garlic

a bunch of sea salt

The Making:

Put the rosemary, garlic, and sea salt into a mortar and pestle(or food processor if want)

grind the ingredients together into a "rough" grind.

Place the tenderloin into a baking dish.

Rub the rosemary,garlic,sea salt mixture onto the pork. make sure to get the bottom too.

bake at 350 until done.

Serve with Basil Potatos and steemed carrots.

This meal is unbelievably simple quick and verrrrry delicious. In our house there is usually leftovers but with this one there never is.

Well, this isn't a main dish, but it is really good, so...

any number of potatoes

a stick of butter

shredded cheese

some spices (whatever you like)

tinfoil

Slice the potatoes fairly thin (think potato chips). Layer them in tinfoil with butter and spices spread throughout. Close up the tinfoil, and grill them for 40-50 minutes (I usually use a grill, but an oven would probably work too). Take them out, open up the tinfoil, pour cheese all over them. Close it for a few minutes to let the cheese melt, then serve. My scout troop is addicted to these.

Maybe there needs to be a "Recipes from Taltos" cookbook in the Reaper future? It should have Sophie in a chef's apron for the cover picture.

Between the items in this topic, tortilla soup challenge and the older good eats topic (can't remember if the cheesecake topic was part of good eats or separate) there are a lot of items to start with.

It could become the basis of a catering menu for ReaperCon ::D: