Advise needed: keeping mixes from drying

Okkar

Wouhou! First post ever!

Hi everybody!

I'll take two lines to tell you that I am rediscovering the joy of fig painting after a break of about 10 years. GAWD! I'm old...

I first started with Citadel and Ral Partha D&D minis, painted with Testor enamels. Needless to say they were crap.

I switched to acrylics a couple years later, and got much better results, but still ages away from anything you guys are producing...

So this is my third swing at this time-devourer. I am now using GW paints (bought a starter kit) with some GW brushes (I'll change them soon, promise!). Since my color range is fairly limited, I have to mix most of my colors to get the shades I want.

But my mixes usually dry up on my pallette before I'm finish with them! I thin the paint a good deal before applying it, but it doesn't seem to be enough...

Is there anything you guys are doing to prevent this drying-up without using a retardant? I don't trust that stuff too much...

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post, I've been waiting to post here a long time!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from thinning, there really isn't much you can do to keep the paint from drying out. Mixing a decent amount would help, but that wastes a lot of paint. What I do is keep track of the ratios I used to mix the color so that I can reproduce it. i.e. 3 parts Caucasian (Reaper) and 1 part Hawkwood (also Reaper)  for a nice 'medium-light'  caucasion flesh color. Then you can also write down what you use to shade and highlight. That way you never have to worry about your mix drying out, and you can go back to clean up areas without your colors getting mismatched.

Wouhou! First post ever!

Welcome!

I started painting with Testor enamels, toothpicks, and *no* primeer coat!  I think that was a staple of the early days.  "You want me to spend money on whaat???!!!"  I'd much rather buy an $8.00 Bone Hill module or a buck & a half on a citadel/RP model than spend a couple quarters on a pot of paint and  brushes.  Besides, I can still remember admiring my green coated, purple panted ranger guy....

*sigh*

I though I was so cool then.  

Anyway, to your question: Isn't that Extender stuff supposed to increase the life expetancy of exposed paint?  I haven't run across any of this yet to give it a whirl, but I recall hearing about it the same time as the magic mix formula came to light.

At art supply stores, or some hobby stores, you can get acrylic extenders and slow-dry mediums.

I recommend the extender for GW paints regardless of whether you are mixing other colors it or not - the paint will go on smoother, and dry a little slower.

And there's always the Magic Mix of Future Floor Wax....

Personally, I like Reapers Ink Extender. I've got some Slo-Flow or something like that which is an acrylic extender I got in the painting section of Hobby Lobby. For wet blending, an extender seems to be a crucial piece of the puzzle.

I just haven't had any time to try it.

Lots of art supply shops sell empty miniature plastic pots to keep mixed paints in.  I have an Olive Drab green that I mixed up from GW colors over a year ago that I can still use becuase it's been sealed in one of those.  Now I won't mix colors in anything else because I don't have to try a duplicate a color -- I just mix up a batch and save it.

I would recommend as you mix each tone, to dip the back of the brush in clean water and tap it so you have a little amount of water on the end. put the tip into the mix and stir it around quickly working the water into the mix. i do this between each tone and while it does make the mix quite thin it definitly helps keep it from drying.

Chris

Here's a fairly simple thing you can do to keep mixed paints from drying.

Mix them on a piece of parchment paper that has been lain down on a very wet sponge...that is in turn in a closable tupperware type container. Close the container when your not using the paints. They'll last for several days if kept in a cool place in the house. I'd not reccomend them being in a very hot spot for two reasons, the paint could dry out and the sponge could mildew. :)

hope this helps

Domni