How long does it take you?

Okkar

I am curious to know what is the average time it takes to produce a mini you are proud of (not counting trimming and priming).

I find that most of my time is spent correcting errors I made, and re-doing parts I messed up somehow. All in all, it probably takes me something like 6-7 hours of on-and-off work to get an OK looking mini (I am far from producing masterpieces...). It is a lot considering the technique I use:

1-base coat

2-dark wash

3-1st level of highlights

4-2nd level of highlights

5- details

I have not touched the bases yet, so I didn't include that.

How about you?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on a lot of things like the mini and the inspiration and the distractions.

the Mummy of Hakir, took me 30 minutes tops, one of my best ever paint jobs.

Kaladrax, about 4 hours, and I still want to varnish and mount a wooden base to him, so maybe add another 90 minutes.

I did 8 skeletons for Christmas, limited time, took an evening (5? hours) to paint them up and one more to base them.

the blacksmith, boren backslap,  3 months,

wiz of hope, still going after 8 months

it all depends.  usually spend about 2 weeks intermittantly on any given mini.

cbs

I once painted 1700 points worth of GW Tau (about 65 models) in 11 days about 4 hours a night in order to play them in a tournament.  This included 2 tanks, seven battlesuits, 45 infantry and a dozen or so drones.  

I figure that comes out to about 40 minutes / model, including flocked bases, assembly, priming, decals, and varnish.  I even mixed my own custom Tau-flesh color (sort of dolphin-colored) to paint the exposed heads.  I figure I spent 2-3 hours each on the tanks, so it's actually a good bit less than the average for the infantry.

The best part was, I took 4th place for best painted army, and probably would have won if the Etheral and Battlesuit commander weren't painted to blend into the rest of the force.  (At the time, part of the score was the ability to pick out your commanders from the rest of your force.)

It takes me about six months.

I'll buy it. Prime it... and stare at it for 5.8 months, before slapping some paint on... and then wishing I'd wait some more. :D

A common joke at my house is that when I say "I'm going to paint" my friend says "Oh... buy another can of primed did you?"

:D

I'll buy it. Prime it... and stare at it for 5.8 months, before slapping some paint on... and then wishing I'd wait some more. :D

Hheheheheehee... yeah, if you start counting from the time I bought the mini, unto the time it was primed (usually the same day) to the time it actually gets paint on it (anywhere from same day - years later), to the time it gets sealed (perhaps never!), I'd be doomed.  I've got minis struggling to be finished (with a single colour of paint on them, a shirt perhaps or a skin tone) that have been waiting in the wings for 15 years or more.

I've got so many minis staring back at me from my shelf... and still I buy more.  

On average though, a standard "Morg Painting of a hero" takes between 4 - 8 hours depending on how much detail I put into the thing.  I haven't yet managed to develop blending and proper highlihgting skills yet, so I expect the time to increase over the next while as I experiment with those techniques.

Usually I'm slow painter. If I have enough time (as now) I paint about 2 minis a week (currently the Marilith and an old Ral-Partha Demon Tree). Of course I'm doing lots of other things, but the average-detailed medium-sized mini takes me around 6-8h. Some weeks ago I completed 4 Skeletons in one evening, but they are so easy and quick to paint, so they don't count, really.

Depends upon the level I'm shooting for.  These are the times for ONLY painting; no prep, mounting, or priming figured in:

Competion Quality - 20-60 hours (mansized to mounted size)

Display Quality - 4-15 hours

Army/General Gamin - 35 minutes to 3 hours

The Stone Lurker I finished while at Reaper took about 8 hours (or a little more) to paint. The frog demon Tsathogga took a bit more at 13 to 14 hours.  I should have pictures I can post of these soon (or maybe ReaperIvy will be very nice to me and post them for me).  :cool:

uhm... tough question... how long does it take me to paint  :;):

Let's see - I never really time my paint job. Average of 8 - 12 hours - I think... But most of the time I paint for 2 hours then I go lurking to the websites and artbooks for hours or spend time on a forum like this one - LOL

Anyway - it will take me faster if I know exactly how I'm going to paint the minis. Detailing will take extra time too. It took me 30 mins to paint a darn tiny rosebud on Maria Roseblade's beer mug (after practicing on a paper bunch of times) and I called that LUCKY! :)

Lili

Have I replied to this yet?  Hrm... Weeell, alrighty then:

How long to paint a mini?  It depends on the detail and the reason for painting it.

Historical mini's  Usually no longer than 45 minutes per foot figure double for the cavalry

Fantasy Figure's  Anywhere from 3 hours to 15 hours.  Lotsa differences in the quality based on the time it takes.  The funny thing is that I tend to shoot for a fixed amount of time on each mini vs. a quality level.... Yah, kinda mercenary, but I've done the math and it works for me.

Figure's I'm proud of? I dunno, I'm in a self-deprecation contest with a few other painters I know, so I'll defer answering this one  :cool:

cya,

MG