Black Primer

Seems when this question was asked a few months ago, it dropped off the boards. I recently ordered a bunch of figures that will be all -- head to toe -- in iron/steel armor. It occurs to me I could save all kinds of time by just priming black as a basecoat for my metallics. What's the best black spray primer on the market?

Damon.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint, that was probably just a mislabeled can -- Armory Makes a Grey Spray primer as well.

It wasn't a grey grey, it was more of a shadowy black. I like a black that you can fall into.. like Hotblack Desiato's ship.

Like if a good black was a goth black, then this was somewhat of a worn out post-punk black. A post-repentian soul black. It was like the %2 milk of black, not the Whole Black, but not the skim grey either.

I think it didn't have enough pigment in it... definately usable like I said because it cretes a neat shadowing effect... but anything I wanted painted "Chaos black" I needed to repaint with black, including my red door.

I'll put my 2 bits in against armory primer, I've had more than a few cans come out extremely grainy (and I didn't live anywhere near humidity of any level that it could be attributed to).

Just my opinion and experience, but I will never buy another can of Armory product again.

Currently using 'Tamiya, Fine Surface Primer' in white; I've been very impressed with the results. If you can find it in black It would probably be worth while.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews on Dupli-Color Primer in white, black, and rust. I have used the white, and it rocked! The atomizer sprays a very fine mist with a good dispersal, so I had to use it a little closer to the mini than usual, but the coverage was great and there was no loss of detail.