Black Primer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Floquil White is my current Holy Grail of primers; their light grey is also extremely good if you're working up a paint scheme with more muted tones. I've had too many cans of Citadel clog when I've only used half the primer, so I was getting really annoyed when Jen Haley and Marike pointed me at the Floquil. I'm afraid I have to also put a vote in against Armory, until they can prove to me that their quality control has improved; *every* can of Armory White I have ever used (three different times, three different years, three different cities/climates) has given the mini I was working on a huge case of the Dreaded Fuzzies. >.<

--Anne

I pretty much live and die by Floquil Grey Primer, I have used it for years (like 25+). I have used their black primer as well and have primed hundreds of 15mm ACW and Napoleonics with it without a problem. It just seems to go on thinner and provide better tooth then Armory (which I avoid like the plague) and GW.

Floquil White is my current Holy Grail of primers; their light grey is also extremely good if you're working up a paint scheme with more muted tones. I've had too many cans of Citadel clog when I've only used half the primer, so I was getting really annoyed when Jen Haley and Marike pointed me at the Floquil. I'm afraid I have to also put a vote in against Armory, until they can prove to me that their quality control has improved; *every* can of Armory White I have ever used (three different times, three different years, three different cities/climates) has given the mini I was working on a huge case of the Dreaded Fuzzies. >.<

--Anne

well in response to clogged cans... read the label

it says to turn the can upside down and spray out til nothing comes out..

dont let paint dry in the nozzle... lol

Here's another vote against the Armory schtuff. Every, and I mean every, can of black, white, grey, whatever, I've ever bought from them has been fuzzy.

Ne'er again, sez I.

With that said, I usually get pretty good results with the *shudder* Citadel stuff. I haven't tried Floquil yet. Then again, I can never seem to find it around here. ^_^

there isnt anything wrong with citadel paints or primers, so long as they are used with moderation..lol

in some cases they are almost a must... i know of one place that sells reaper pro paints here in town... and they are all dried out and cracked.... every place mainly carries GW stuff... lol

there isnt anything wrong with citadel paints or primers, so long as they are used with moderation..lol

in some cases they are almost a must... i know of one place that sells reaper pro paints here in town... and they are all dried out and cracked.... every place mainly carries GW stuff... lol

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I grew up using GW paints and Armory. Many gaming shops carry it because it's convention. So many people have never bothered to experiment. They've always used GW, so they continue to buy GW. Now, to extent, likes in paint and sprays has a degree of preference. However, when I listen to professional painters, over 90% of them will rank GW paints and sprays lower than most other hobby brands. This says something to me.

Also, GW paints are notorious for drying out in the bottle far quicker than Reaper or anything else. That's why I've known many people who transfer GW to dropper bottles as soon as they can. That's not really a paint issue, but the paint bottles they were using suck.

Many GW paints have horrible pigment strength. How many coats of GW yellow does it take to cover black primer? That's worse than the tootsie-pop question. And, if you thin your paints, forget about it. You'll never cover black. Vallejo yellow, I can cover black in like two coats.

Armory does have quality control issues. One can will work fine, the next one will be horribly fuzzy regardless of how much you shake it or what conditions you use it in. I've also never been able to get a smooth coat from any can of GW white spray, never once with any of the many cans I've owned under any conditions. It's like have fine sand covering your mini. I've heard many people that have used GW white and black, agree that the white sucks but black works well.

I'm going to agree with Anne, I've also gotten perfect coats from Floquil spray. I also love Tamiya Fine Spray primer. However, I've always used white, so I can't personally comment on their blacks.

Just a quick note.

If you wanted to keep your minis slightly brighter, rather than priming black and putting on the metallics, you could prime white, wash a very thin black to get the same blacklining effect as your primer, and then lay down your metallics on top of that. It's only one extra step, and you might consider it if you're looking for a 'Knights in Shining Armour' effect. Otherwise I agree, if you're just looking to get models on the board, and they're mostly metallic, priming black is a fairly fast way to do it.

I wish I could offer advice directly on which black primer to use but I've moved over to exclusively whites these days to keep my colours bright. I used to use alot of Citadel stuff and I've not had many problems with their black (But I havn't used it in about 5+ years so I can't really say anything about it now).

Prophet:

I don't think anyone is saying not to use GW stuff if it suites your needs, but I think it's important to realise alot of people think they have their limitations. In my opinion it has nothing to do with an anti-GW sentiment or anything, if GW had the best paints that's what people would swear by (even though I do loathe GW ::D: ). I have the odd GW colour that I like and use, but I have to agree, they don't have nearly as much pigment as the VGC, which makes them hard to thin past a base coat stage.

the only issue ive had with GW black primer (and probably any spray primer) is that the flow out of the nozzle isnt always the best, sometime it splatters... ive had many a times when i need to touch up an area (like the undersize of a minis arms or something) and ive just held the mini and ended up with black dots up the my forearm..lol

Plasti kote sux, I had 2 cans of black primer go bad, and the nozzles clog.

Bright Touch brand general primer has real good Black and red oxide colours. They go on super thin{you will see through the first coat]. this is very useful in most situations, though to do the Black then drybrush trick, a few coats will be needed.

rustyolium goes bad kinda often in my experience.

you'll disagree with me sayin GW paints and suuplies are fine in moderation?

You're on a board full of reaper fans. GW isn't very respected at all here; everyone would rather complain and pride themselves on being GW-free.

you'll disagree with me sayin GW paints and suuplies are fine in moderation?

You're on a board full of reaper fans. GW isn't very respected at all here; everyone would rather complain and pride themselves on being GW-free.

whereas me, i just use whatever works, regardless of company...lol

You're on a board full of reaper fans. GW isn't very respected at all here

On most non-GW specific boards, there will always be the knee-jerk Evil Empire reaction.

Personally, I am a recovered GW junkie, but that doesn't change the fact that they do have some of the best primers out there - just pricey, but what quality stuff isn't?

What people need to remember is that the supply chain causes most of the inconsistent quality issues out there. If a store carries a can of GW Black that was produced 5 years ago, you will probably not get their standard high quality and delivery. Armory and the other smaller companies are even more hit-and-miss, due to a slower stock flow. If you want a predictable high quality, go to a GW store and buy from them.

The Dupli-Color Sandable Primer is quite comparable quality wise, however, and about 30% of the cost. The big factor, though, is that as an automotive primer sold at Wal-Mart and automotive stores, the stock rotates quickly so you are more likely to be purchasing a recently-manufactured can. Great atomizer, about 3% less of a "pure" black than Chaos Black, so overall is my #1 recommendation. GW is #2.

It's decided then. Duplicolor is the one I think I'll get. Big reason is that its at Wal-mart, and yes, the stock tends to rotate very fast, and that's a big advantage for me. Floquil was in the running, but since their price hike (cunningly concealed by packaging in smaller cans, it seems) I've stayed away from the stuff; the volume I prime in is pretty large (as a wargamer) and Floquil is too pricey. I use their Engine Black in the bottle to prime armor areas (though in this case, every inch of the figure is covered in armor -- its a Palmyran cataphract).

Re: keeping armor shiney. I have my own tricks for that. Besides which, the GW tips are right: the metal DOES look more brilliant over black than white (I've definitely been down this road before!).

Now all I need is a red-brown primer for the horses (the horsey armor is bronze) and I'm set!

Damon.