Stuff you use for stripping paint.

Nikmal

I am curious as to know what you guys use for stripping paint. I just got Goof Off and am about to try it.. but on this particular piece I ahve tried Power steering fluid, Motor Oil, Castorl Super Clean, Pine Sol and last but not least Acetone. None of them seem to touch the paint on this item. It is the Great Red Dragon Limited Edition that I bought on Ebay for 150 dollars, and like an idiot I did not see that it was painted (they showed an unpainted figure in the picture so I just assumed) What ever paint they used it is tough!!

The thing that gets me so upset.. in just chemicals for stripping paint i have used over 60 dollars worth of them to try this.

So wish me luck :)

What do you guys use?

-jon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look in the pinned topics of this particular forum for Compendium of Stripping Materials.

Edit: I use 3M's Safest Strip. It's a non-toxic paint stripper I got at Lowe's, is in paste form, and I "paint" it on using an old hogs hair brush. Paint is normally quite loose after just one hour. Using an electric toothbrush and a beading needle for the really hard to reach crevices, I can normally have a mini completely stripped without discoloring the metal (which Simple Green and Pine-Sol will do) within just a few hours. I even removed twenty-five year old Testors Enamel paint from minis using this stuff.

Ouch ... I think I might of asked before shelling out that much .. heeh.

Hrmmm, I have no clue to be truthful in how to get it off as you've listed everything that I would of tried. There is always industrial use saftey stripper, but you'll probably pay through the nose for that and you might have to let it sit for a bit.

Sounds like they might not have used acrylics either, perhaps an oil based or some other such? Let us know, I'm curious how this turns out. Best of luck.

Man it WORKED!! Let me tell you that goof off stuff is powerful!! And Very very nasty to skin if you get it on thre for someone that has sensitive skin.. (like I do) I am using gloves though)

The paint is coming off nicely.. the epoxy the guy used for the wings is not.. but I can always take that off with my trusty dremel :)

man the dragon looks gorgeous :)

-jon

I knew someone who used goof off to strip minis, and it seemed to work very well.

I know someone else who uses Castrol Super Clean to strip stuff, and it's really good, but it is toxic.

I can't remember the last mini I stripped, but when I do, it's Simple Green for me.

Easy-Off oven cleaner for me. When I buy armies of painted minis off of ebay I strip them all by putting them in a plastic bucket then spraying them down with Easy Off and putting the lid on.

I leave them in there for an hour or so then take a toothbrush and scrub them off. Wear rubber gloves and a respirator of course.

Works well for plastic as well as metal. Doesn't always get the stuff out of every single crack on the plastic ones, but works well and doesn't harm the mini.