Max Protection

twjolson

I need to protect a few of my mini's from the harshest treatment imaginable. I plan to add a geocaching tracking bug to them and send them out into the wide world. So, I need them to be completely protected. What are the best brands and products to use? I don't mind using something very glossy, as long as I can get rid of the gloss later. (These are enamel/acrylic painted mini's, if it matters)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

best thing ive found is 3-4 layers of dull cote. thats been holding up great for me and my group. playing in the unfinished basement the minis have been dropped, fallen over, exposed to the humidity, the heat, cold, you name it. the dull coted pieces still look good while some of my armory, and GW matte finish pieces practically need to be repainted the next day!!

I heard you can use Future, but how do you use it for those of us without a airbrush. And how does it's protection compare to say, Krylon's?

What about Car sealers? Can we use those? Will they be more protective then what we normally use on mini's?

Car sealers? are you refering to the gloss coat thats used on cars or is that a name brand? if your talking about the gloss coat for cars and trucks i would say no. because of the formula used in those you would have to have an airbrush or spray gun. plus very toxic!! not to mention thick. As for future it can be applied with a brush but i personally dont think it stands up as well as the dull cote.

I've heard some folks use Minwax satin finish varnish. They just dip the mini in the can and then let it dry. One fellow told me this finish has stood up having a mini thrown full force against a wall without chipping (though I think the mini's arm was bent a little).

I've never tried it myself, but it's a possibility.

When I do gaming commissions; I usually give them one layer of GW's Gloss varnish (I think it's called 'ard coat ), then one or two thin layers of testors dull cote. If any areas are still glossy, I use Vallejo Matte Medium to get rid of the last gloss.

Next time I'm going to take Ary's advice and embed them all in one huge gelatinous cube though.

Anyone have any advice for alternatives to Testor's as far as sprays go? Can't find Testor's matte anywhere around here (could buy truckloads of testor's gloss though). And what I have says matte, but doesn't seem to know it's a matte finish and usually ends up pretty shiny.

Three coats of TRiple Thick by Krylon then a few coats of dullcote.

I did this to LSH's dice box and it survived a 9000 mile voyage.

This Triple Thick stuff, is it special, or can the same effects be achived with so many layers of regular stuff?