static grass?

Ive been attempting to make my own bases instead of using the standard reaper base and im having difficulty with the static grass. so far ive tried super glue, elmers, and thinned elmers, but with all 3 ive had the same problems. when im able to get the static grass to stand up i have very few patches of "standing grass" most of the time it looks like its been trampled on. i also have problems getting the grass to adhere to the base i end up with bare patches. ive been unable to find a good tutorial on this can anyone point the way or explain in detail what i need to do?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it may sound strange but the best stuff I found to glue static grass is the one girls use to paint their nails. Really .... it proved to be the most durable and the gress achieves nice form.

pva glue is good to, but a bit worse....

are you talking about the short grass or the longer static grass (about two inchs or so).?

I pva my rocks/sand down and let it cure well, then a few random drops of zap-a-gap and sprinkle the static grass on. wait. blow off the excess.

Long grasses, I fold over and cut in two, maybe a second time if I want it shorter like the local monkey grass. This makes one end kind of uneven (natural) and the other end I cut to make sure that it is even. Put a drop of zap on the base and stand the grass in it. Hold for a couple of seconds. Some of the outer grasses will lay down, but I think it looks more natural that way.

M_capillaris-new.JPG

Okay, I will admit, I've never been able to get the perfect static grass effect where all the grass stands straight up. I'm still trying to get good at it.

I've had the best results so far with quick dry tacky glue, which I believe is really just quick dry PVA glue.

I add the tiniest bit of water. Too much water and it's just too runny and the grass doesn't really 'stick'. I like the glue to be a little thicker for this.

Shake the grass a lot in a plastic bag or container to build up the static. Dip the base or sprinkle on very heavy. I then turn the mini upside down, tap the base a couple times and then blow up at the grass gently from about a 45 degree angle. Once as much of it is standing as I can get, I set down the miniature and then use a toothpick or something to gently stand up any other grass that I can get. If I have blank patches, I wait to the glue has dried, as a bit more glue to the bald spots, and sprinkle more grass in there.

I also paint the static grass once it has dried one. The thinned paint can help additionally secure it in to the base and your can use your brush strokes to straighten the grass. The glue must be fully cured though.

Before I base, I will have a couple protective spray coats on. After I base, I will put a few more very thin coats on. You want the varnish to fall on the grass like a mist, not to hose it down, blow it off or gunk it up. The varnish will really help keep the grass attached. Just make sure you've removed all lose grass and the grass there is secure or your spray will blow grass onto the mini and get it stuck there.

Hope that helps. I think it takes some practice. I still consider myself a novice with the stuff.

does anybody use the squeeze bottle to "huff" the grass on? The idea is that the grass gets all static charged and self aligns as it comes out of the huffer. This one is by Noch.

08100.jpg

I've hear of this, but I haven't found the right bottle to try it with. I've never heard of Noch.

I use the bottles for candy making (though haircolor bottles from the local beauty supply work just as well). These even come with a little cap in case the cat gets up on the painting area! :wow:

I fill up the bottle no more than about a quarter full, shake the bejeezus out of it, then "huff'n'puff" the grass onto either zap-a-gap or white glue, finally turn the mini upside down and GENTLY blow the excess off.

Things I've found to help with the look a little:

A little paint in the white glue to help give the earth color beneath the grass

Expect a bit of a mess (understatement! the stuff gets all over the place)

If you thin down the white glue alot it can be used to put on a second "coat" of grass without clumping up the first, help for a much thicker, more lush field look.

All the people that say to paint the static grass (at least drybrush it a little) are totally right.

I do it after any spray on finishes, as sometimes the sprays can cause little droplets to form on the individual blades or clump up all your work. This is another place the thinned white glue comes in handy, thin it alot and use it to seal, it will "wick" up the grass and give it both firmness and protection.

Orchid - who always walks away from basing looking like she's been installing new shiny green carpeting :rolleyes::lol:

• Reaper User

Also, static grass works better if you're applying it over an uneven surface such as sand or gravel, which allows the fibers to grab more than a smooth plastic base. But I don't think you're going to get all the grass to stand up straight; that's not really what it's designed to do. It does mimic real grass more than flock or what-have-you; if you look at real grass, there's an awful lot of blades not standing straight up. About the only place you'll see non-trampled grass is on lawns with lots of "keep off the grass" signs, and I doubt most Reaper minis would be caught dead on one of those--unless it was a Gragg mini, in which case he'd be there specifically to trample the grass! :lol:

But anyhoo, for the record, I apply my static grass with superglue, over sand; dab on superglue, toss a huge clump of static grass on top of it, tap the base for five to ten seconds to settle the grass into the glue, turn the base over and tap the underside so the excess grass falls off and the glued grass stands up, turn the base back over, and blow across the grass from one side, then the opposite, to make the grass stand up more and solidify the glue (with the moisture from your breath). Then dullcote and/or paint the grass to get rid of the shiny fibers. ::):

--Anne