Reading List

Spartan6

Lord of the Flies

Thrawn Trilogy - Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)

Shadows of the Empire

Tales from Jabba's Palace

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Jaws

Tales from the Bounty Hunters (it has IG-88 vs Boba Fett!)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*edit to add historical stuff*

Read stuff written by people who were there:

The War with Hannibal--Livy?

I'm pretty sure Livy wasn't an eye-witness to the Punic Wars. He lived immediately before and during the reign of Augustus (27BC-14AD). By that time Carthage was dead, buried, refounded (as a Roman colony, IIRC) and the Romans had bigger fish to fry (like the Germans, and not least of all the Parthians).

My choices:

Dune[/i] - Frank Herbert

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Damon.

I've read most of what everyone has posted, so here are my picks:

All quiet on the western front

Catch-22

Anything with Sam Vimes by terry prachett

The rime of the ancient mariner

Villians by neccesity by eve forward

The screwtape letters

Alice in wonderland/through the looking glass

The narnia chronicles

A monk in the garden

pygmalion-bernard shaw

tao te ching

the grapes of wrath

the cantebury tales

the interpretaion of dreams

the wealth of nations(admittedly I never finished this, I'll try again at a later date)

The prince

An accurate high school level biology text

The robot series by Asimov

The rest of the discworld series by terry prachett

All the books we read to children, teaching them about sharing, respect, politeness, honesty, tolerance, the dangers of peer pressure(or keeping up with the joneses after your 21), work ethic, and all the other things we want them to live by. Reread these books, and remind yourself what has value. ^_^

I'll probably post more as I think of them. I figure there should be something for everybody in there. Sorry shakespeare doesn't make the list. I never liked any of his works. For clarification a monk in the garden is the life story of Mendel.

I considered the Bible, actually, as well as a number of selected works of Pope John Paul II, but I figured I'd keep my list secular in nature. I will say this though, if you are looking for writings about the social climate, read some of JP2's encyclicals, the ones not strictly on chruch doctrine, but dealing with social issues in general. This guy wasn't just the pope, he was extremely intelligent and extremely entuned to the global socio-political landscape.

I'll suggest five sources of eternal wisdom, as five individual works would be harder to pick...

Heinlein: Starship Troopers*, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Time Enough for Love

Shakespeare's plays: comedies or tragedies, more so than the histories

Mark Twain: Huckleberry Finn, On the D----d Human Race

Jane Austen: Pride And Prejudice, or, heck, anything else of hers

Neil Gaiman: The Sandman

*ST's the only book that changed my life at all, I guess. In small part it pushed me toward enlisting in the Army, though I didn't want to be an infantryman. One passage did help make me love singing cadence. Y'all know which.

• Reaper User

The Red Branch - Morgan Llewelyn

coldfire trilogy (blacksun rising, when true night falls and crown of shadows) - C.S. Friedman

Dragonlance annotated chronicles & legends -Margret weis & tracy hickman

--seriously even if youve read them previously the annotations make for a whole new read its really interesting to see all the thoughts that went into actually making some of the best books ever written :P

These are going to be repetitive, but...

The entire Drizzt series. And not just because it's Drizzt. Those essay things at the start of each chapter really helped me think about some things.

LotR. For obvious reasons.

Can't think of any really good ones at the moment, but they do exist...

...what I'd like to see is ya'lls suggestions and recomendations for books that are "must reads". Books that changed your life or enhanced it somehow.

If something by Tony Robbins really turned your crank and made a huge change in your life, lets hear about it. If something by Robert Heinlein made you go "wow.. how true!" let's hear about it.

Keeping it to books that made me re-think my view of the world, hmmmmm......

Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein - Civic responsibility

Friday - Robert Heinlein - Racism is wrong

We Were Soldiers Once, And Young - Hal Moore

BlackHawk Down - Mark Bowden

Enemy at the Gate - William Craig (yes, I'm a military history nut!) - All the above made me respect and appreciate the sacrifices that men make, and the ordeals they endure for their countries.

The Richest Man in Babylon - George S. Clason

The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko - these made me realize that I didn't need to make crazy money to live well and how to plan for reitrement.

The Bible

The Book of Mormon

The Miracle of Forgiveness - Spencer W Kimball

The Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News - Stephen Robinson - Religious books. I'm a much nicer man today because of them

Reilly's Luck - Louis L'amour - first "adult" book (ok, that sounds really bad), first "grown-up" book that I read as a child. I enjoyed it because the main character started out as a boy about the age I was when I read it. Has lots of good advice that boys need to hear.

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller - made me realize that things aren't always as they seem, and that not all consequences can be predicted.

You asked for it! Books that have changed the way I view the world.

>>edit<< Just wanted to clarify that this list does not include books that I thoroughly enjoyed reading, but only books that made me contemplate deep issues. Cheers!

Some books that have strongly influenced my worldview:

"The Portable Nietsche"-first read while in high school. It helped me learn to question everything.....

"The Golden Bough"-James Frazier- a strong beginning to my interest in anthropology and myth.

"Talisman"-Graham Hancock-A mind-expanding look into myth, architecture, and conspiracy. Read ALL of his works....

"The Pursuit of the Millennium"-Norman Cohn-excellent overview of medieval heresy.

"Popul Voh"-the sacred text of the Mayans(Thanks Kamut, for the heads up)

Hrmm. . . .

Fiction:

R.A.H. - Starship Troopers

Mark Twain - Huckleberry Finn, Connecticut Yankee

William Gibson - Neuromancer

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon

Shakespeare - at least a couple plays, notably The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo & Juliet and that Scottish play

Lovecraft - any of the Chthulhu mythos

Poe - short stories such as The Tell-Tale Heart, but don't ignore the poety either, such as The Raven, Annebelle Lee and Bells

Dumas - The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, etc

Homer - The Odyssey, The Illiad

Aristophanes -Frogs

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle -Sherlock Holmes

Laura Ingalls Wilder -Little House on the Prairie

Non-fiction:

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Gibbons - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Carl von Clausewitz - On War

Aristotle - On Rhetoric

Horace - Odes

Tacitus - Annals

Thucydidies - The Peloponnesian War

Plutarch's Lives

Herodotus' history

To heck with it - add Dostoyevsky, Cooper, Walt Whitman, Carl Sagan, Harriet Beecher Stowe,Thomas Paine, Solzhenitsyn, Huxley, Ray Bradbury, Orwell, C. S. Lewis, Voltaire and dozens of others.

Pretty eclectic lists we have here. It sort of renews my faith in humanity to see so many people seeking out wisdom and knowledge, especially from so many sources. Never having been able to afford a formal education I've tried to fill in the gaps over the years with the books they would read in college anyway and discussion with my peers and mentors. I just started reading Carl Jung's "Dreams" today.

Again, I'm glad to see Heinlein make so many lists. I can't think of anyone, off the top of my head, that gets less credit for such influential writing. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is another one of my favorites along with Starship Troopers. I read ST after I was already a grunt for several years. A large number of my fellow grunts consider ST practically biblical in regards to how RH was able to put to voice and explain what we all felt and knew but couldn't express in words. If anyone cares to get some insight into the mind of an infantryman, I can't recomend it enough.

Having been a professional grunt for so many years I read Sun-Tzu and Musashi and Von Clausewitz and Rommel and similiar texts ad nauseum but I consider it time well spent. All those texts have strategies that are applicable to anyone's life. Was anyone aware that it's rumored that Napolean had a translated copy of The Art of War?

Please keep posting folks! I've already added a few books to my "need to read" list based on your recomendations. ::):