Forgotten Realms Help Requested

Orsino

A fellow we game with via chat runs another set of campaigns on a different night, and I'm going to guest-star for a few sessions. The name of the NPC meant nothing to me (I know very little about the Realms), but a bit of research tells me that Thann is a VIP in Waterdeep. Since the players are no doubt familiar with this guy, I'd like to brush up on all things Danilo--in the next few days.

So where's the canon on him? Is the Songs And Swords series the best showcase for this bard? Is there a single best book I should read to get a handle on his personality and way of speaking? Does he have any catch phrases I can parrot for flavor?

I'm unlikely to be able to get any particular module over the weekend, but I might consider it if anyone thinks that's the key to understanding the character.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thann family was a slaving family that has gone into more legitimate businesses in merchant shipping. They are very wealthy and have many land holdings in and around Waterdeep. Danilo was a layabout until he became a bard.

That's what everyone thinks. If you don't want to know do not read anymore****Spoiler****

Dano was tutored by Blackstaff himself and is the only non-elf ot master the Elfsong. I think there is a novel by that title and may be worth checking out. Danilo has always acted like a fop to disarm people around him and has actually worked his combination of magic and song to become one of the Lords of Waterdeep. (Secret)

He is a fashion plate, 6 feet tall and excellently muscled. His stats are listed- str-16, Dex=17, INT-18, Wis- 16 and cha-18. His falxen hair is always styled and he's always at the height of fashion and expense. He's a people person and has shown tremendous ability to work with various factions to accomplish the goals of the Lords.

He's an NPC, and an extremely powerful one at that. So I don't think his stats are that surprising, although they seem pretty excessive, who know what sort of magic might be involved in them as well. (granted if someone showed up to a game with a beginning character like that I'd be shaking my head as well, but for a high profile Realms personality, they could be worse).

Which is the best single book to read about him, then?

I tried a couple "non-Drizz't" novels and found them to be not to my liking, so I don't know aobut that. I do know that the info I gave you is found in the City of Splendors boxed set, Campaign Guide chapter five. It seems like a pretty cool character to run. YOu may want to read a bit about Blackstaff and the other lords of Waterdeep as well.

Orsino, unfortunately, all my TSR novels are in a box back at my mom's house in the attic. I lack the space for another set of shelves in my apartment. I wish I could get the specific titles for you. I never added them to my library spreadsheet since I stopped buying the novels about 7 years ago. I think Dragons of Summer Flame was my last purchase.

There was a full write-up of Danilo Thann in the 1996 sourcebook "Heroes Lorebook". According to that, he is a 13th level Bard, formerly a 9th level mage & 3rd level fighter. The article gives considerable insight into his history, motivations & goals, personality & appearance, possessions, locales frequented, and campaign uses. It quotes as sources the boxed set City of Splendors, the sourcebook The Code of the Harpers, and the novels Elfshadow & Elfsong. (Silver Shadows isn't listed, as it came out after Heroes Lorebook in 1996)