Sign in to follow this  
VelveteenRabbit

Age Requirements

One of my players broke my "making sword-noises" criterion this past Friday. I'm way too soft-hearted.

Probably an adult player ::D:

Yeah. I had him at a Call to Arms demo the week before and he spent the entire game, when he wasn't watching Star Wars or wandering away from the table, asking me if he could play it again Right Now.

And he broke the 'making sword noises' rule several times in the CTA game.

Lanse, I know neither of us likes to even think about having to ban someone ... but I really hope he finds some other game to play. One that does not involve him taking $30 minis and bashing them against others and constantly asking if he can make another Ramming attack with them because he likes bashing them into each other so much.

Can we maybe interest him in HeroClix or something?

Hmmm what are your thoughts on making the Bloodlust sound from Warcraft when my Orcs enrage or charge into battle? ::D:

Qwyk: Sound effects is one thing. Bashing minis against each other, picking them up and dropping them from a foot above the table, and otherwise treating them like action-figures from the old 'He-Man' commercials is something to boil the blood. Especially when it's -your- minis he's doing it to.

I'd need to be restrained if someone willfully trashed and mistreated figures I spent HOURS painting. And given the fact that I am such a slow painter, a grunt can take me several days of effort. An army is a HUGE amount of time spent for me.

If it's an accident I can excuse a pewter injury, but willful misconduct I think is justifiable homicide. If you can't treat both the game and the pieces with respect, you lose gaming privileges, if you're lucky.

I think we've wandered onto two seperate areas here;

If a child/teen/young adult is deemed mature enough to play ~ then go ahead.

If a child/teen/young adult is causing damage to your items and/or the store/shop/convention ~ call security.

I've had my stuff destroyed by two different types of kids;

one was apologitic and instantly went about picking up the pieces

one just gave me a look of 'oh well'

three guesses who was told to leave the store by the owner.

You know I've been pretty lucky, I've only had two figures damaged in all the years I've been demoing. Both were CAVs and both just a matter of getting knocked off the table and glued joints popping. For the most part, I have had really good luck with letting kids play. I think the Clix revolution has helped weed out the kids that like and do not like mini games.

OH MY! Did I just say something nice about WizKids? I have to go lay down for a while, I think I'm coming down with something. :wacko:

I had an experience where one of the more immature kids that played at "my" shop was standing next to an ongoing Imperial Guard vs. Tau game. He was wildly gesturing about one thing or another and *smack!* slapped a Sentinel standing on the edge of the table. The Sentinel flew about 10 feet and smashed into a hundred pieces. Worst of all, instead of just fessing up, he tried to fix it "real quick" while my roommate was tending to business up front. Needless to say, he wasn't happy when he saw the state of his Sentinel.

Bashing minis against each other...

You guys got the kid from my "Demo from Heck" at Comics, Etc?

After I kicked him out (and his friend) the sushi place across the way ended up calling the cops on them. I gladly supplied their names to the local gendarme.

That was one of my first demos too...

When demoing, I have a little sheet of ground rules. While I set up minis, I hand it to them to read:

*The miniatures are easy to break, and the paint is easy to scratch. Treat them the way you see me treating them.

*This is a friendly game. There is no need to be a sore loser or a sore winner.

Before I start, I ask them the two rules. If they cannot answer, I politely defer them until next time.

One thing we (as experienced/mature players) tend to assume is that the proper treatment of our laboriously created miniatures is obvious. However, without the experience of painting, many kids simply see another version of MageKnight, and treat it as such.

Kids represent a potentially great part of the fan base for Warlord. Cultivate - you're building future opponents.

Its really a judgement call on the demo'er. I've brought this up before, John and the Asylum was gracious and patient enough to demo my son (8) and his best friend (8). While out of the two, my son was the reckless one. What with his sleeve of death as he moved figures on the board and destroyed whole units with his mighty sleeve(unintentionally).

Both got the rules, they needed reminders but for the most part were a joy to watch. We had two other adults join in and help make suggestions and encourage the boys on.

Both of them made sword sounds, but treated the figs with care.

Now if I can just get them to paint and purchase their own stuff.

Jhilahd

Now if I can just get them to paint and purchase their own stuff.

With Spring blooming, nothing like a little yardwork to make a kid earn his pewter ::D: