90-Day Proxy Rule Thoughts

OK, I know that:

The Official-with-a-capital-O Reaper tournaments that don't allow proxies (outside of the 90-day rule) are currentl ReaperCon, GenCon, and Origins.

The 90-Day rule allows us to use proxies for minis for 90 days after a mini is released, to allow time to get the mini(s) and get them painted. At Official-With-An-O Reaper events, 90-day rule proxies must be Reaper minis.

BL events may allow proxies or not, at the discretion of the BL member running the event.

Finally, proxies must also be OK with all players.

The situation I'm looking for feedback on is regarding what is socially nice and is, I think, fairly limited in scope. The Necropolis Deathriders just hit my FLGS a week or two ago. I like the idea of cavalry and I've come up with some armies that use up to 10 or 12 undead cavalry, but I don't have that many of the Deathriders, yet ::D: and no other Reaper cavalry-like minis. This weekend is a local gaming convention where I'd like to try out my undead cavalry units/armies, for fun (not tournament). I do have a small boatload of 15-20-year-old mounted figures and centaurs that would make reasonable proxies with the quick addition of the proper size bases.

Should I go ahead and dust off the old tackle/mini boxes and try out my pseudo-undead-cavalry at the convention, or wait until I get The Real Thing to play with undead cavalry in public? (BL, opponents, etc., willing, of course).

I suppose I could also poster-tack non-horse-ish Reaper minis to cavalry bases as proxies, but I think that would look even sillier than my old scary-paint-job cavalrythings. ::D:

(There's the fact that I was seduced by a three-pack of zombie-ish Rackham undead cavalry, BUT I'll save them for games at home or other non-public settings)

Your best bet is to contact whomever is running the games and ask them.

Personally, if I were your opponent, you could use bubblegum wrappers for proxies for all I care. :lol:

Seriously, I don't think anyone will mind you using your old, non-Reaper minis as proxies. But if possible, ask whomever is running the show ahead of time.

This weekend is a local gaming convention where I'd like to try out my undead cavalry units/armies, for fun (not tournament).  I do have a small boatload of 15-20-year-old mounted figures and centaurs that would make reasonable proxies with the quick addition of the proper size bases. 

Should I go ahead and dust off the old tackle/mini boxes and try out my pseudo-undead-cavalry at the convention, or wait until I get The Real Thing to play with undead cavalry in public?

if this is just a game that you will be playing for fun, go have fun.

I agree with Lanse's statement.

don't have that many of the Deathriders, yet  and no other Reaper cavalry-like minis.

Use what you've got and have a good ole time!!! Even if you can showcase some of the newer cavalry models alongside some of your non-Reaper models you'd be doing a service to Reaper while having fun for yourself. Really it's a win-win situation. Just tell everyone upfront what the deal is and that eventually you plan to have a complete set of the "proper" models.

It's WAY more important that you enjoy the game. Seems to me that most people I know that got too concerned with waiting to play painted and/or proper models missed out on a number of games because of it. Frankly, there'll always be models that need assembled, painted, or proxied. Just try to keep up as best as possible. If you fall behind a bit, just wing it.

I know the Reaper VIP have told us many a time (something similar if not word for word):

"Real life before gaming."

Well, if that doesn't epitomize the concept that you take care of your priorities and make do with your limited miniatures resources, then I don't know what does.

:poke:

Thanks for all the opinions. I've got a package of bases and will be hot-gluing the old minis down tonight or tomorrow. (using hot glue on the theory that it will be easier to separate the minis from the bases when I re-retire them).

I'm married to one of the Black Lightning members running Reaper games at the con, so I know his opinions on proxying. :lol: I'll talk to the other guy again - last time we were all yakking about it was in general terms.

In any case, I also have a couple tables in the con's dealer's area, so even if I don't use the proxy cavalry on the regular gaming tables, if business is slow I can play my husband and son there with wierd terrain. ::D: Provided I can pry my son away from whatever 40K action is ongoing, that is...

Frosch said:

> If you're doing stuff as a Black Lightnig rep, I'd at least try to use Reaper figures.

Which is why I'll save the nifty Rackham zombie cavalry for relatively private games. Don't want to embarass the husband, after all.

I've got a package of bases and will be hot-gluing the old minis down tonight or tomorrow. (using hot glue on the theory that it will be easier to separate the minis from the bases when I re-retire them).

I learned a trick a couple years ago, which I've never actually used but it made good sense to me...

... Putting the miniatures in the refrigerator/freezer will make the glue "brittle" or something like that. In essence MUCH easier to pull apart. Mind you, we were discussing separating parts that had been "super glued." Maybe this tip will work with other glues too. I hope that helps.

I learned a trick a couple years ago, which I've never actually used but it made good sense to me...

... Putting the miniatures in the refrigerator/freezer will make the glue "brittle" or something like that.  In essence MUCH easier to pull apart.  Mind you, we were discussing separating parts that had been "super glued."  Maybe this tip will work with other glues too.  I hope that helps.

It probably will, and should be one of those "can't hurt to try" things.

If my husband has only found Square Tuits today, I'll try it with my Anubis Guards tonight - they're stuck to popsicle sticks for painting with hot glue - well, actually the lower-temp-melt hot glue, which is what I was planning on using for the old minis, too.