Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

I dunno. As with any change to a beloved system they'll lose players, but if their price point is as low as they seem to be claiming and the quality of the pre-paint jobs are as good as they claim they'll retain a core group of players and most likely gain more than they lose.

For me as someone not invested in their game I see it as an opportunity to get some cheap models I don't have to paint if I don't want to for use in games like Defiance or the newly release 5150 by Two Hour Wargames (either of which I'm really close to ordering since I don't expect AICOM to be forthcoming anytime soon). I like the sculpts on the exosuits and the proofs for some of the Forth models. Only reason I haven't bought any Grizzlies or Cougars yet is that I've got a backlog of unfinished stuff I want to get done and I've been holding on to my mini budget for CAV2 stuff.

I'm with Nanite on this one. Dead as a doornail.

Makes me glad I packed all of my SST stuff into boxes and put them into the closet of shame over the weekend.

And yeah, they liked what they saw with AT-43, said "hey, lets steal that pre-painted idea". Too Bad Rackham has a reputation for doing everything with style, and Mongoose has a reputation for screwing up great concepts, sprinkled with the occaisional great set.

EDIT:

After Having read through the entire thread on the Mongoose Forums (I no longer post. Most of the time you would get more civilized responses from poo-flinging monkeys), I must admit that Mongoose has at least come out and said "yeah, we really screwed some stuff up." It might be the understatement of the century, but at least they know they poorly supported a game that had the potential to be great. I'll be keeping an eye on developments from time to time, but I'm still glad for the closet of shame decision.

Seems like a poor reason to pack up models, though....

There are indeed a ton of rule sets out there that are fun and open ended so you can just grab your models and use these rules. Some of the Mongoose models are really quite good - the Grizzlies and cougars in particular. The bugs also aren't too bad and I do really like the light MI.

I think this is a fairly decent example of a company that can't decide if it wants to be a miniatures company or a game company and is trying to do both. I see Moongose as more of a game company who happens to produce minis - sometimes with good results. Rackham tends to be a miniature company that produces rules - and the new confrontation rules are a bit better - but their original release was HORRIBLE. Their models on the otherhand are stunning.

Imagine if you will how cool it would be if a miniatures company whith a record of producing high quality, inexpensive models teamed up with a company that produces a wonderful set of rules to become the "Official support" for one another. So lets say a company like... I dunno... Sweeper miniatures who has some terrific Guys with Guns models teams up with a company like.. Domestic 13 who has some amazing rules for playing a Guys with Guns skirmish game. One company can produce the rules and stats to play with the existing range - and the other can create new models to support the game and ideally you'd get a synergistic reaction that allows each comapny to move more products, while staying focused on what they do well. Ie "Guys with Guns is a terrific fun game - and here is a line of official models for it." or "Gosh, I love these models - but if only there was an easy to learn fun skirmish game!"

It seems to be, from my observation - that there are very few comapny who have the dedicated staff to really do both well. Even GW, who has great models - has so/so core games (but they are a marketing juggernaut - in a very literal sense).

So yeah - long diatribe.... I'm going to stock up on exosuits and light infantry while I can before they come out pre-painted. Rackham claimed the at-43 models would be a step above as far as paint jobs go - but the production models that I've seen (the infantry at the con) - haven't moved me much....

I don't have a lot of faith in prepaints - unless you can get a system going like they do with McFarlane toys (It's impressive on how well painted they figures are and how inexpensive they are when you consider the number of paint hits on each figure)

I keep looking for more info about AT-43. Is this that pseudo-super-science WWII game that is (was?) coming out? If so, I definitely think I'll pass...

I feel like those of us who want to play SF/Fantasy games, AND paint our own stuff are a dying breed. Pretty soon it feels like it will be all pre-paints and I'll have to go to historical manufacturers for their poorly supported fantasy lines...

Also, WRT the other game they're going to put out. I saw the photos of the pre-production Chally and Abrams. I REALLY hope they're quite truthful that there will be a number of chnages onthe production versions, since both models had serious dimensional, shape, and detail issues (not underdetailed, but really, really WRONG details!)...

Damon.

You mean like the hull for the Abrams just being flat out wrong? I saw that and was rather disappointed, and I'm usually not one nitpicking minor details, but that's just not right.

It's "Near Future" (Really similar to the Not Too Distant Future, Next Sunday AD)

What you were looking at was the M1A3 Abrams with new design modifications. ;)

And as much as it pisses me off, if they can really pull this plan together they may be very successful.

This is Mongoose were talking about though, and going pre-painted doesn't address the ugliness of the rulebooks, the lack of retailer support, the tendence for Mongoose games to implode after a year or so (GoMC1? Might Armies?), Sprange's hyperbole, or the design process that got something like the Venerables, or the abomination of the Brivioki into production.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_...ivokibattle.jpg

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_.../ctabrivoki.jpg

Crazy.

This reminds me I still need to paint my exos and all the cheap bugs I bought.

Personally, pre-painted bugs would be up my alley. They don't move me except as opponents and I'm finding it difficult to work up any ambition to paint them.

My Grizzlies on the other hand, I actually look forward to painting. After I paint the rest of my Warmachine army...

Wellll..... I know of a couple of folks who'd be happy to see decent prepaints in a non-collectible format.

I saw the pic of that Brivovki-or-whatever, sweet merciful heaven, they SOLD that? I feel dirty having just SEEN it, and I actually like oddball miniatures and lines.

Finally: I will never, NEVER know why first-class miniature makers don't enlist existing first-class games writers instead of trying to do it themselves. I'm talking about looking at guys like Demian Rose, who wrote a game after finding he could break many points-systems with trivial ease, and others who've been releasing top-notch games and tweaking them for years now.

I'd play a non-collectible prepainted game with a good rules system. I'd still be playing games where I painted the minis myself, but sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to field a force without putting down 1000 hours of work first.

I like painting and I like gaming. Presently I think I'm spending 95% of my hobby time painting and 5% gaming. I'd like that to get closer to 50-50. Prepainted would help me do that.

I hate Collectibles though. I wanted to play a mecha game a few years back , but found to my horror that mechwarrior was collectible. Which got me seraching on the web, which again introduced me to Reaper (through CAV). So I guess collectibles are in some way responsible for me finding my fav gaming company. Weird.

I'd play a non-collectible prepainted game with a good rules system. I'd still be playing games where I painted the minis myself, but sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to field a force without putting down 1000 hours of work first.

I like painting and I like gaming. Presently I think I'm spending 95% of my hobby time painting and 5% gaming. I'd like that to get closer to 50-50. Prepainted would help me do that. (Yeah yeah, I know I can play with unpainted/partially painted minis, but it's not the same as even poorly painted minis, and I can't get myself to paint minis fast)

I hate Collectibles though. I wanted to play a mecha game a few years back , but found to my horror that mechwarrior was collectible. Which got me seraching on the web, which again introduced me to Reaper (through CAV). So I guess collectibles are in some way responsible for me finding my fav gaming company. Weird.

EDIT: How the heck did that happen? Quoting my own post.

The initial imput of hobby time in miniatures games is always high. But once you have put in the work, the amount of time you spend painting drops off (sometimes precipitously, depending on what you want out of the game). Over the years I have built up, FREX, 2 WHFB armies, one WH40K army, and perhaps a dozen historical armies (in 15mm and 28mm). I don't have to paint ever again..I have enough stuff that I don't need to (and the nice thing about metals -- and the mentality of painting them yourself -- is that they are an investment, and a good painted army can last decades...although plastic can last a while, the rubbery plastic most pre-paints use these days can leech the plasticiser, with horrid results).

When I paint metals, I'm not looking at whether or not I'll be using them next week or next year, but rather over the lifetime of my gaming career. This is also a reason why I am very hesitent of selling or disposing of any...ten years down the road I might be kicking myself for having done it. I sold a lot of Battletech stuff some time ago, and sorely wish I hadn't now...

Damon.

'Bulletproof'... That word, I do not think it means what they think it means.

I was told by Mongoose Matt that SST was nearly bulletproof, even when I was pointing out serious inconsistencies and problems. Mighty Armies was brought up next as a 'truly' bulletproof system, as were other systems they publish.

SST had some cool basic concepts, and some serious misses before they even started tweaking it. Anybody like a 20+% chance to completely miss the target point with a 7" radius blast weapon? Anybody like a 40+% chance to drop a grenade at your feet or up to 6" behind you if you try to throw it to a 6" range? Of course, this is a game where they said all weapons fire was accurate, and you were simply rolling for effect, even though no artillery fire (or dropped bomb) had more than an 8.3% chance of a direct hit, and no persistent or blast weapon could have full effect without using the artillery fire charts.

I've had a lot of fun with SST, but I modified a lot of their core rules into something that could work sensibly on my table. When they fed me BS on rules issues, and then changed stance without admitting there had been an initial problem, I was disappointed. When they really started going south in how they handled the rules and published rules changes, I gave up on them.

The game is an odd beast anyway. A parody of movies and a quasi-related TV series that were parodies of a book. I like the book, I like the movies (2 for the bugs and silliness, even if unintended), and I like the series, but I tend to think of them as largely unrelated properties. The game took off in very odd directions from there, but several of the models looked very cool.

The silliness in the first SST movie is quite intentional. It's part of Verhoeven's satirical style - and one of the things he's taking shots at are big hollywood blockbusters. Unfortunately the movie fails because most people don't notice that he's taking little potshots at things.

Me, I like the blood and guts. I love hollywood action gorefests with dudes getting torn in half, and impaled. I can't watch surgery on TV, though... the real thing creeps me out.

"At least I got to have you... johnny rico... *gurgle gurgle die*"

I bust a gut at that every time.