Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

Oh definately - thats why I said one of the targets. :)

He also grew up in nazi occupied Netherlands - and as a child he lived near a german military base where they launched V1 and V2 rockets, which was bombed repeatedly by allied forces, which left a huge impact on him - which is where you get alot of the visuals and progapanga bits you see in his films (robocop, total recall...)

He's also taking shots at the recruitment films he made when he was part of the Dutch Royal Navy.

SST was just a fun popcorn movie with tons of cheese and gore (and even pokes fun at it's target audience. ;> )

Thinking about it (and remembering some essays I've read) SST is really a timely piece given the state of things in the US, since he warns against the power of state controlled media and it's ability to portray situations and prevent propaganda in such a way to get citizens all fired up to rush off and fight.

Would you like to know more?

eh, as long as my current collection is still compatible I really don't care about this change.

at least they're owning up to the fact that they royally screwed up

'Bulletproof'... That word, I do not think it means what they think it means.

I was told by Mongoose Matt that SST was nearly bulletproof, even when I was pointing out serious inconsistencies and problems. Mighty Armies was brought up next as a 'truly' bulletproof system, as were other systems they publish.

SST had some cool basic concepts, and some serious misses before they even started tweaking it. Anybody like a 20+% chance to completely miss the target point with a 7" radius blast weapon? Anybody like a 40+% chance to drop a grenade at your feet or up to 6" behind you if you try to throw it to a 6" range? Of course, this is a game where they said all weapons fire was accurate, and you were simply rolling for effect, even though no artillery fire (or dropped bomb) had more than an 8.3% chance of a direct hit, and no persistent or blast weapon could have full effect without using the artillery fire charts.

I've had a lot of fun with SST, but I modified a lot of their core rules into something that could work sensibly on my table. When they fed me BS on rules issues, and then changed stance without admitting there had been an initial problem, I was disappointed. When they really started going south in how they handled the rules and published rules changes, I gave up on them.

The game is an odd beast anyway. A parody of movies and a quasi-related TV series that were parodies of a book. I like the book, I like the movies (2 for the bugs and silliness, even if unintended), and I like the series, but I tend to think of them as largely unrelated properties. The game took off in very odd directions from there, but several of the models looked very cool.

Woah, now that you mention it, yeah that's broken. I remember the many claims of bulletproofness before it's release too.

I'll say it again, I hope they do well. But I really do feel burned by the new direction.

well long time no see guys...and yup when starship troupers hits here in the u.k i,ll be gettin me hands on it

the minis look awesome..... ::D:

Subtle sarcasm? :huh:

Like I said before, if they had started with the Grizzlies and Cougars as the ape suits I would've bought into the game. They are the only models that I like, except for the basic bug warrior, from the line.

Burrower bugs are great too, but only one sculpt.

Perfect for CAV scale sandoworms at any rate.