Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

Curse you nanite! Now I wanna turn my CAV stuff into Dune stuff.

Inspiration:

Burrower bugs + DHL Acid Beetles + DHL Hooked Terror = New CAV faction, looks like you guys returned the favor, as I have enough to do right now!

On topic, a nice brief of the changes to SST in the new version:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Starship_Tro...me/message/2396

Fairly heavy revisions of some mechanics.

Curse you Nanite.

Curse you

::P:

Also, Ed specifically forbade a giant bug invasion as an possible event in the CAV universe over in the 10/23 Q/A thread.

Curse you Nanite.

Curse you

::P:

Also, Ed specifically forbade a giant bug invasion as an possible event in the CAV universe over in the 10/23 Q/A thread.

Who says it's a giant bug invasion? I'm thinking a race who's years of nuclear war left the only survivors as neo-luddites, and use their amazing knowleged of animal husbandry to train the giant creatures that live on their planet. ::):

Well, SST:Evo is now due in July/August of this year.

Anyone seen or picked up the Battlefield Evo minis, they were supposed to be out this week?

Eh, I'd rather do Flames of War for my psuedo-historical game fix and I'm only two boxed sets shy of being pretty much finished with my SST armies, so unless they've really done well with the resculpts, I'll just stick with what I've got.

BF:EVO is being pretty much universally panned for poor figure quality, isn't it?

Anyway, Mongoose screwed over a lot of people when they pulled the rug out from under SST for what will end up being at least a year (probably longer). I'll be watching to see if the game recovers, but my business relationship with Mongoose has come to an end. AT-43 is my pre-paint obsession anyway.

I was excited about the prepainted AFVs - because I hate painting large scale vehicles..

but I am somewhat dissapointed with what I've seen thus far - plus the "realistic" scale of their figures doesn't mix well with the exaggerated scale of other modern lines.

My guess? Mongosee contracts back to RPG's and rules only.

Maybe keeping ACtA, and later, re-introducing the Fleet Action line.

Which would suck.

Flawed models aside, Starship Troopers has a solid system.

I don't see ACTA going anywhere, really. From everything I understand it's one of the more popular fleet games out there and has been for some time.

Which would suck.

Flawed models aside, Starship Troopers has a solid system.

I don't see ACTA going anywhere, really. From everything I understand it's one of the more popular fleet games out there and has been for some time.

Another concern of mine is that simplifying the SST rules even more will take the depth out of the game.

And it really didn't have a ton of depth to start with.

I find it amusing that Mongoose most successful minis game really isn't their product. Andy Chambers more or less ported the BFG rules, and the majority of the miniatures were from B5Wars.

I was excited about the prepainted AFVs - because I hate painting large scale vehicles..

but I am somewhat dissapointed with what I've seen thus far - plus the "realistic" scale of their figures doesn't mix well with the exaggerated scale of other modern lines.

Saw the minis in person today

Pros: They really seem to be heavy, durable plastic.

Cons: Everything else. They're really small, the paint is sloppy, some of the infantry could pass as tabletop quality, but the tanks are appaling. I saw an Abrams with a big black fingerprint on it, any of the non-decal markings were atrocious, and there are maybe two colors apart from the base plastic on each.

Not remotely worth the price they're asking.

Mongoose used to have enough goodwill in the gaming community to have people overlooking stuff like the occaisional bad sculpt or paintjob.

Problem is, they got used to being able to produce crap and have people buy it. I don't think they're experiencing that with BF:EVO.

Probably been seen at least once, but here's the skinny on some of the big changes from SST to SST: Evo (and essentially BF:Evo):

Some of the biggest changes to the rules are:

* Units get only 1 reaction a turn.

* The entire unit reacts, not just the model. So if an enemy unit ends within 10" of one of your models, your entire unit gets to react.

* You can now react to being shot at.

* Shooting and damage have been changed to where you roll all your attack dice, then the closest model gets assigned the highest die, then the next closest the next highest, and so on. This drastically simplifies the process of assigning damage dice and does away with special rules to handle different units being in the fire zone.

* For BFE, cover now gives +2 to target and kill stats. Also due to the way the new shooting rules work, cover is much more intuitive, no more single unit being out of cover making the whole unit lose its cover. Instead since damage dice are doled out to individual models, with the closest models taking the hardest hits. Any models out in the open and closer to the enemy will usually die. Any models in cover and closer to the enemy will take higher damage dice, but with cover they usually survive (Cover makes normal infantry 6+/8+ target/kill).

* Lethal Zone weapons are gone, replaced by a more intuitive system that works within the fire zone system.

* Units that lose their leaders are no longer useless, instead they simply lose 2 actions then get to choose a new leader

* Suppression has been added where if a unit has enough damage dice thrown at it, then it will lose its next action, and can only react by moving. If this happens twice in a turn it loses 2 actions total.